Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 21:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cranfield MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2007, 05:42
Does anybody plan to apply for [w]Cranfield[/w] MBA?

Cranfield has a quite good ranking in Europe, but I could not find more information beside what you find in EIU or FT.

Can you compare it with LBS, Oxbridge or INSEAD?
Does it have a well-known brand in Europe?
What kind of students does it attract?
Why is the ranking so good and no one really mentions it?

Can anyone help me with more information, please!

Cheers

Last edited by souvik101990 on 21 Feb 2013, 04:43, edited 2 times in total.
linked to Cranfield wikipage
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 00:28
Well AFAIK cranfield is a very good school with strong reputation in UK. But it is not in the same league as that of INSEAD/LBS. I met cranfield guys here in a MBA fair and looksl ike the student quality is wonderful and their brochure tells a lot about it.
I think someone here in this club is graduating from cranfield, i saw his/her post in european mba discussion thread..lets catch hold of this person for more info :-)

No Guts, No Glory

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 03:34
Thanks Trahul!

I think that after the big Euro 3 (i.e. LBS, INSEAD and IMD) there is not much equivalent for consulting or finance. I am looking for an alternative from the second tier, beside of Cambridge that seems way too hard to get into. I am thinking about applying for Cranfield, but I am not yet sure.

Any other recommendations for UK or Europe 2nd tier?

I read lots about the Oxbridge hype, but Cranfield seems to be quite competitive with the big schools, since the career service / recruitment is excellent and age average / experience is quite high. I am wondering why no GMAT Clubber likes or talks about Cranfield?

Cheers
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 23:42
I think St.Gallen should be a good choice. Have you thought about it?
As far as UK is concerned, i feel you can also look for lancaster ..

No Guts, No Glory

CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 02:50
I've also heard of the name Imperial College thrown in the mix.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 07:05
oh yes Imperial has a good reputation too. THanks bsd . By the way bsd, hows your hunt coming along ?

No Guts, No Glory

Manager
Manager
Schools: CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 13:24
I have also heard good things about Cass Business School
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 15:06
trahul4 wrote:
oh yes Imperial has a good reputation too. THanks bsd . By the way bsd, hows your hunt coming along ?

Hey trahul4 , I'm currently waitlisted on LBS. I am also applying to Chicago and NYU R2. Hows things going for you ?
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 23:32
If you want to work in the UK and you are not an EU citizen, then http://www.workpermit.com/uk/hsmp/mba_provision is a good pointer for schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2008, 12:55
HEC Paris is not in the list... grrr..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2008, 14:19
HEC is an excellent school, no doubt about it! Conversely, I am not sure if HEC is not a little bit too French orientated. Or in other words, I think that HEC has a strong national committment to the French economy and French recruiters. In my opinion, you must be willing to work in France, if you apply for HEC!?

Cheers!

toDoorNot wrote:
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2008, 19:01
bsd_lover wrote:
trahul4 wrote:

Hey trahul4 , I'm currently waitlisted on LBS. I am also applying to Chicago and NYU R2. Hows things going for you ?

I have got ding from Indead and admit from Melbourne Business school.. waiting for my results from NUS singapore, St Gallen and Erasmus ... by the way did you follow the Sydney test ?

No Guts, No Glory

CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2008, 19:10
Hey MBS is wonderful news. A good mate of mine graduated from there and is currently a VP at a large investment bank in Tokyo. Assuming you get into all the rest of the schools (St. Gallen, NUS and Erasmus), which one would you prefer ?

ps. Haven't had time to follow any sport, been too busy with applications for R2.

trahul4 wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
trahul4 wrote:

I have got ding from Indead and admit from Melbourne Business school.. waiting for my results from NUS singapore, St Gallen and Erasmus ... by the way did you follow the Sydney test ?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 19:51
St Gallen May be....

No Guts, No Glory

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 17:10
catgmat wrote:
HEC is an excellent school, no doubt about it! Conversely, I am not sure if HEC is not a little bit too French orientated. Or in other words, I think that HEC has a strong national committment to the French economy and French recruiters. In my opinion, you must be willing to work in France, if you apply for HEC!?

Cheers!

toDoorNot wrote:

I know someone who recently graduated from HEC Paris, but found it too difficult to get a work permit in France. The Beauracracy was mindboggling. She went to the immigration office to extend her work permit (during her intern... student visa only allows limited work so you have to apply for permit to work full time), queued up for 3 hours, handed in her documents and was told that she had all the correct documents, so they could now arrange for her interview in 3 months time!!!!, by that time her current visas would be outdated, and that was no guarantee to get an extension.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 04:42
togafoot wrote:
catgmat wrote:

Cheers!

toDoorNot wrote:

I know someone who recently graduated from HEC Paris, but found it too difficult to get a work permit in France. The Beauracracy was mindboggling. She went to the immigration office to extend her work permit (during her intern... student visa only allows limited work so you have to apply for permit to work full time), queued up for 3 hours, handed in her documents and was told that she had all the correct documents, so they could now arrange for her interview in 3 months time!!!!, by that time her current visas would be outdated, and that was no guarantee to get an extension.

I visited HEC last year and was told by a non French-speaking Indian student that most campus recruiters are French speaking only. So, you'd rather be proficient in French.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 13:50
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All.

Well, I can assure anyone that if you come to Cranfield you will have a great time, but you will be working your arse off !!!

Cambridge and Oxford both have excellent MBA programmes and are very strong and reputable brands. However you will note that Cranfield is held in higher regard as a business school, due to it's exentsive experience in executive education, which means that lecturers generally get their info straight from the "front-lines" so-to-speak, as most of them consult in industry. This is probably also refelected in the student population, as the acceptance criteria tend to be more focussed on work/management experience. In my learning team I have had nuclear engineers, a Phd in radio physics and a chief of staff from the swiss armed forces.

Another selling point at Cranfield for me is the extremely strong alumni network. Cranfield has over 10000 alumni of which over 70% hold executive positions. Most alumni have proven to be very helpful. The rural location means that you get to know your classmates very well, so you form strong bonds and the atmosphere tends to be more laid back than the other schools. You don't feel like you have to turn up for lectures in a shirt and tie.

I would probably say the only downside is that it takes about 1.5 hours to travel into London for interviews, etc.

Best of luck with your applications.

If any of you plan on attending an open day, please drop me a line.

Cheers,

Andrew.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2008, 11:43
For anyone interested in getting a look at the social side of the Cranfield MBA, you can take a look at our group on facebook: Cranfield FT MBA 07/08
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 20:16
apieterse

is it a good time to apply to cranfield now ? I think many people might have already got admits by now ? ?
I'm now considering cranfield after getting waitlisted at St.gallen . Let me know your thoughts on this.

Cheers

No Guts, No Glory

Manager
Manager
Status: Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2008, 04:37
I got an admit to Cranfield with 4000 GBP schol! :)
I was expecting a higher figure, though! :o
Can I send a pm to you?

Regards
apieterse wrote:
For anyone interested in getting a look at the social side of the Cranfield MBA, you can take a look at our group on facebook: Cranfield FT MBA 07/08
Re: Cranfield MBA?   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2008, 04:37