Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cranfield SOM 2009

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2008
Posts: 501
Location: Eastern Europe
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 161 [2] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 12:43
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi friends,
For those interested in one-year European or UK MBA programmes, I would like to draw your attention to Cranfield SOM. I sometimes heard that people not familiar with UK schools tend to think that it is just like any other second-tier programmes, but I believe that such opinions don’t do justice to Cranfield. This is a very respectable school which has strong reputation in the UK (and a good career placement there). The students are in general mature and experienced, which could be seen as another advantage.

Is anybody going to apply to Cranfield this year, or at least considering the possibility?

***
Facts & Figures:

Location: UK, Bedfordshire
Site: http://www.cranfieldMBA.info

Rankings:
http://www.som.cranfield.ac.uk/som/mba/choose/rankings.asp
Economist IU 2008: 13
FT 2008: 30 (upward trend)

Programme cost: 28000 £. (as of 2008)

Class Profile:
http://www.som.cranfield.ac.uk/som/mba/mbaprogramme/studentprofiles.asp
Intake: 119
Male: Female ratio: 4:1
Foreign students: 81%
Average age: 33
Average experience: 8
Average GMAT: 660

Admission process and Requirements:
http://www.som.cranfield.ac.uk/som/mba/applications/admissionsprocess.asp
Min. years of experience: 3
GMAT: about 600 (balanced). Also, an applicant may choose Cranfield Admission Test as an alternative to GMAT, although GMAT is strongly recommended.

Salary & Career Opportunities:
http://www.som.cranfield.ac.uk/som/mba/postcareers/index.asp

***
Here is the link to the old Cranfield thread:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/106-t57632
Also, gmatclubber apieterse (Cranfield alumnus) offered to answer some questions about the programme.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 12:49
great work! i am very happy to see so much activity in this forum.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 759
Location: Oxford
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 13:22
I am definitely apping to Cranfield as my own tier 2 school in the next couple of months if things don't go so well in R1. Cranfield has a NZ govt sponsored scholarship worth NZ$100k (basically fees and some expenses). I will apply for that.

Kudos
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2009, 10:35
I am applying to Cranfield FT 2009 intake.
I thought that Cranfield starts accepting applications from Jan 2009 onwards.
I have seen applicants already admitted for 2009 intake.
Does any of you know the reason behind such early admissions?
Augi
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2008
Posts: 501
Location: Eastern Europe
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2009, 12:52
Hi AugiTh,

The reason for people's being accepted so early is that Cranfield has a rolling admission process - you may see the details if you check the link in the initial post. Also, the adcom releases decisions quite fast.

It is advised to apply as early as possible - they recommend before May, but I'd say that it will be better if you manage to send them your application during winter or in early spring: the year is not so good for prospective MBAs, as you know :| , and the programme is relatively small.

Good luck to you!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2009, 13:47
Greenoak,
Thanks for the reply.
Please see the file attached or click the link below
http://www.som.cranfield.ac.uk/som/appl ... mation.pdf
Under "When to Apply" Cranfield SOM clearly specifies "We start the selection process for
the Full-time programme in January and for the Executive Part -time and Modular programmes in July..."
thaz the reason why I was a lil confused....
I intend to apply mid Jan. Hope I am not late!
AugiTh
Attachments

Information.pdf [23.25 KiB]
Downloaded 94 times

To download please login or register as a user

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2008
Posts: 501
Location: Eastern Europe
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2009, 15:01
AugiTh wrote:
Under "When to Apply" Cranfield SOM clearly specifies "We start the selection process for the Full-time programme in January and for the Executive Part -time and Modular programmes in July..."

Hi again, AugiTh, and thanks for posting the link. I have read this document too, and I personally think that this condition is rather a recommendation than a strict rule (or it may be something that has left from previous years), as I knew that they considered applications throughout autumn as well. Also, there are a couple of admits already - you probably saw the posts on pagalguy forums.
I don't think that mid Jan or even Feb will be too late and plan to apply myself, but I also know that the competition will be stronger: a lot of people who applied to INSEAD/LBS/Oxbridge/St Gallen etc. and didn't get admits will probably apply to Cranfield at this point.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 133
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2009, 06:47
My back ground is in Finance and banking.
I was having Cranfield on my list initially , but once i saw the course content of their mba proggramme , I could not find anything for finance, hence I am not applying there now.

thnks,
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2009, 08:17
[quote="abhaypratapsingh"]My back ground is in Finance and banking.
I was having Cranfield on my list initially , but once i saw the course content of their mba proggramme , I could not find anything for finance, hence I am not applying there now.

thnks,[/quote]

You should have a look at St Gallen. They are specialised in this segment. Located in St Gallen, near Zurich--the financial hub of Switzerland.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 529
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 23:16
abhaypratapsingh wrote:
My back ground is in Finance and banking.
I was having Cranfield on my list initially , but once i saw the course content of their mba proggramme , I could not find anything for finance, hence I am not applying there now.

thnks,


Cranfield is more into General Management. LBS, INSEAD are more strong in Finance. Did you consider them ?
_________________

-Unstoppable force moves immovable objects...-

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Posts: 244
Schools: Cranfield SOM
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 08:50
I had a question and hope somebody can cprovide a clarification. I am a prospective applicant for the full time MBA program and I am planning to submit my application for the by Feb or March. I am getting stuck on the essays and I am not exactly sure as to how to get this resolved. I am also applying at Notre Dame and Emory (2 Yr programs) in USA.

I work as an IT consultant and most of my experience has been in the health insurance industry in USA. My goal after the MBA is to join a management rotation program in the US health insurance industry and eventually move into product development.

My concern is that would Cranfield frown upon a goals essay that talks about joining the industry in a specific country? I am not sure about the health insurance practices in other countries.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 529
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 10:15
scorpioguy wrote:
I had a question and hope somebody can cprovide a clarification. I am a prospective applicant for the full time MBA program and I am planning to submit my application for the by Feb or March. I am getting stuck on the essays and I am not exactly sure as to how to get this resolved. I am also applying at Notre Dame and Emory (2 Yr programs) in USA.

I work as an IT consultant and most of my experience has been in the health insurance industry in USA. My goal after the MBA is to join a management rotation program in the US health insurance industry and eventually move into product development.

My concern is that would Cranfield frown upon a goals essay that talks about joining the industry in a specific country? I am not sure about the health insurance practices in other countries.


Hi Scorpioguy,

In my opinion, there is no reason why Cranfield shown frown at you till you are clear why you want an MBA ? You have to be clear in your understanding and should be able to explain why and how an MBA will help you in Health Insurance field ..? So far you can answer this satirsfactorily, it really does not matter where you want to work ..

Hope I was able to address your concern.

Regards and best of Luck. I will be following you .. :)
_________________

-Unstoppable force moves immovable objects...-

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2009, 09:24
Finally!!!
I got an interview call.
Interview with Mr David Simmons!
Is there anyone else who is in the same boat as me?
We could may be try rowing together? :-D
AugiTh
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Posts: 244
Schools: Cranfield SOM
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2009, 20:53
Hello Amit

Thanks a lot for your comments. My plans were to modify my essays to include the international aspect of an education in ICranfield.

Amit05 wrote:
scorpioguy wrote:
I had a question and hope somebody can cprovide a clarification. I am a prospective applicant for the full time MBA program and I am planning to submit my application for the by Feb or March. I am getting stuck on the essays and I am not exactly sure as to how to get this resolved. I am also applying at Notre Dame and Emory (2 Yr programs) in USA.

I work as an IT consultant and most of my experience has been in the health insurance industry in USA. My goal after the MBA is to join a management rotation program in the US health insurance industry and eventually move into product development.

My concern is that would Cranfield frown upon a goals essay that talks about joining the industry in a specific country? I am not sure about the health insurance practices in other countries.


Hi Scorpioguy,

In my opinion, there is no reason why Cranfield shown frown at you till you are clear why you want an MBA ? You have to be clear in your understanding and should be able to explain why and how an MBA will help you in Health Insurance field ..? So far you can answer this satirsfactorily, it really does not matter where you want to work ..

Hope I was able to address your concern.

Regards and best of Luck. I will be following you .. :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2009, 23:20
scorpioguy wrote:
Hello Amit

Thanks a lot for your comments. My plans were to modify my essays to include the international aspect of an education in ICranfield.

Amit05 wrote:
scorpioguy wrote:
I had a question and hope somebody can cprovide a clarification. I am a prospective applicant for the full time MBA program and I am planning to submit my application for the by Feb or March. I am getting stuck on the essays and I am not exactly sure as to how to get this resolved. I am also applying at Notre Dame and Emory (2 Yr programs) in USA.

I work as an IT consultant and most of my experience has been in the health insurance industry in USA. My goal after the MBA is to join a management rotation program in the US health insurance industry and eventually move into product development.

My concern is that would Cranfield frown upon a goals essay that talks about joining the industry in a specific country? I am not sure about the health insurance practices in other countries.


Hi Scorpioguy,

In my opinion, there is no reason why Cranfield shown frown at you till you are clear why you want an MBA ? You have to be clear in your understanding and should be able to explain why and how an MBA will help you in Health Insurance field ..? So far you can answer this satirsfactorily, it really does not matter where you want to work ..

Hope I was able to address your concern.

Regards and best of Luck. I will be following you .. :)


Scorpioguy,
If the rotation program is going to be international (eg. 3 months North America, 3 months Europe, 3 months Asia) then you can very easily connect your next step with the Cranfield International Program --> the contacts you can make, networking with current and past students, experience working with the multicultural "Learning teams" etc etc

Business schools look for people with concrete ideas. The point is to show that you have thought your goals through and the path you want to take to attain the goals. So it is a plus point to be specific.

Hope this helps.
AugiTh
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Posts: 244
Schools: Cranfield SOM
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2009, 06:29
Augi

Thanks a lot for your comments. I will be updating my essays as per your suggetions.
4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 759
Location: Oxford
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 177 [4] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2009, 06:04
4
This post received
KUDOS
My Debrief from a Cranfield MBA Preview day.

On a rainy Saturday morning, my alarm goes off at 7am. After a visit to a warm city pub the night before, I still have to get out of bed relatively early to get to Cranfield for a preview day. My throbbing head somehow didn't agree, but i still boarded the 8.20 am train from London Euston station to Milton Keynes Central, a mere 30 mins away.

Milton Keynes had put up a bright and sunny morning. I got into a Taxi for the 20min ride to Cranfield University. For those of you that don't know, Milton Keynes is a "baby of a town". Built in the 1960's in a flat part of the country, it is designed in a very American way. I swear that it has the widest streets in the UK. What it lacks in character, it makes up for in convenience i suppose. In 20 minutes however, the rolling English countryside became the norm once again and the narrow country roads led me to Cranfield University. Cranfield is an interesting place. It was a world war two Air Force base. Today it is a graduate only university, one that is 90% privately funded. Apparently they don't qualify for a lot of government grants because of no undergraduate programmes. Instead, the university is based on Management, Engineering, Health and Aeronautics courses.

When I arrived on the front entrance of the School of Management, I looked at the facade of the building. Quite naturally I compared it to the other top UK schools (LBS, SBS, JBS). Cranfield's appearance did not match what the other three had on offer. The building, although functional, didn't have charm. I decided however not to make this an issue. I was here to learn about the programme after all.

When I was greeted by the Admissions staff at the front desk, I was pleasantly surprised. They had a "pack" of information ready for me, including a branded folder, a personalised name plate that I would use in the lecture theater and even some branded mints. I hadn't experienced this personal touch from the other schools I visited. I suppose it's competitive out there fore programmes like the Cranfield MBA.

The day kicked off with a presentation from the assistant MBA director. To be honest, my tiredness was effecting me since all the "brochure type" information in this session was making me want to snooze. Looking at the schedule, I was more interested in the later parts of the day.

An hour later, came a short break. I took this opportunity to mingle with the fellow attendees. I was impressed by some of the people who'd made the effort to come to Cranfield on a Saturday. There were Associates from investment banks, to lawyers and also entrepreneurs that I conversed with. The age demographic was a bit different. A lot of these people were 30+. The day was about to get interesting.

After sipping a very strong coffee in this break, I raised my alertness level. Bob Lillis, the professor of Operations Management presented to us the Case Method. In the next 30 minutes, he basically said that 40% of learning at Cranfield is by delivered in for form of cases and went on to present his strategy on reading, summarising, and learning from cases. We were then presented a 8 page "easy case" on a Business Ethics issue from a Canadian lending institution. We were given 10 minutes to digest and summarize the material. Then a short class discussion took place. A word of warning, you WILL be cold called upon at Cranfield. Then to everyone's surprise, we were randomly split into groups of 6 and were sent to a syndicate room for 15-20 mins to come up with a resolution to the ethics problem that was in the case. Each group then had to present their summary. I was hooked to the case method.

Another plus side to Cranfield was that they put on a nice lunch :). I was sat next to the Exec-MBA Director for a part of this and he did a good job selling the school to me. I was impressed on the student culture at cranfield. I suppose if you put 150 people in a small village in the middle of no-where, you get a tight-knit community.

Next was a lecture on Financial Strategy. Again the lecture was largely presented by providing a simple case study on financing a new water company. To most people's surprise, the financial model used went against their gut instinct. But mathematically it was a better model. It was good way to learn the material.

The last session of the day was an interactive Q&A session with recent grads of the full-time and exec MBAs. Once again, this interaction left me impressed. They were open about the cranfield experience and did not put any marketing spin on it what so ever.

So I left Cranfield with a decision to apply within the next few weeks. It will be worth it.

-buff
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2009, 08:22
buff, I am puffed!
Thanks for the walkthrough...
nd Good luck with your applications....
AugiTh
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2007
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2009, 08:24
Please share your interview experience here...
Alumni, current students please do pen in your suggestions.
AugiTh

Last edited by AugiTh on 06 Feb 2009, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 290
Schools: INSEAD Dec'10
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cranfield SOM 2009 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2009, 12:55
Buff, thanks for the post about your visit.

I have met with Cranfield at an MBA fair, it looks like a good school. They must have liked my profile well enough to send me a CD with some presentations and videos. I am thinking about tier 2 schools in case IMD and INSEAD decide they don't want me - how do you think Cranfield compares to Said and Judge?
_________________

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

Re: Cranfield SOM 2009   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2009, 12:55
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
9 Cranfield SOM 2009 greenoak 38 27 Oct 2008, 12:43
Yale SOM Ranked #1 in Job Placement in 2009 nink 9 30 Oct 2009, 11:57
Cranfield stops applications for 2009 intake. Amit05 6 20 Mar 2009, 06:00
7 Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! IHateTheGMAT 422 20 Jul 2008, 21:45
3 Cranfield MBA? catgmat 47 27 Dec 2007, 05:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Cranfield SOM 2009

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 39 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.