Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 03:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Creativity and the GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Creativity and the GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 17:27
Most people think of the GMAT only as a rigorous test of logic and higher reasoning. It tests your ability to think on your toes, and react quickly to a barrage of information. Most people assume that the more they think like a supercomputer, the more successful they will be. But I think that even though reason has its place, the GMAT is also amenable to creativity. Specifically, I have seen a number of questions in quantitative especially that employ lateral thinking for quick solution. Questions test your ability to apply concepts, not hammer through laborious calculations, and as such, they demand whole brain thinking.

Still, routinized logic has its place in the GMAT. Take for instance the rules of grammar, which are not flexible. Or take for example the watertight logic of critical reasoning. However, flexible thinking can be effective even in these scenarios. One may for example use a creative approach to eliminating wrong answer choices in sentence correction. They might be better able to think outside the box and conjure up a circumstance or scenario that spoils or saves an argument.

My point is don't discount creativity and lateral thinking on the test. We are human, we are not computers. In spite of our search for perfection, and the perfect GMAT score, or at least our personal best, we are liable to err. But we can use our special, and wonderful minds to see through this test, get into the minds of the test makers, and come up with creative ways of solving problems and chopping down time. These are things a computer can not do.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Creativity and the GMAT   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2011, 17:27