Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Credibility of the Veritas Test Scores

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Premium Member
Credibility of the Veritas Test Scores [#permalink] New post 03 May 2014, 04:17
Hello guys,

I have recently bought 6 Veritas tests and I really like their content. What surprises me is the scores I receive. For the third tests I have got 790 and for the 4th test my score was 800!!!! I am nod bad in quant and constantly score 50/51 in all tests (except MGMAT CATS), but what frustrates me is the verbal score. How can I get 49 and 51 in verbal after missing 8 and 5 questions respectively? By the way, can someone tell me whether Veritas scores are a good proxy for the real test score.

Thanks in advance.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8808 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Credibility of the Veritas Test Scores [#permalink] New post 03 May 2014, 21:05
Expert's post
WOW. Congrats!
Let me ask the Veritas Experts to chime in.

Have you taken a GMAT Prep yet? It may be time :-)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Premium Member
Re: Credibility of the Veritas Test Scores [#permalink] New post 03 May 2014, 21:29
Thank you for the reply ;)

I have taken two free prep tests, and scored 760 and 740 respectively. But this was before going through the GMAT club and Veritas tests. I am sure that now I am doing significantly better. Anyway, this 790 and 800 are killing me :) On the Veritas web site is is clearly stated that 80% of the students report that the real thing was withing 30 points of their best score, so I think I can hope for 760-770. Still, I would like to hear from someone with a similar experience, someone who can map his/her veritas score to the real one.
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 100

Kudos [?]: 217 [3] , given: 20

Re: Credibility of the Veritas Test Scores [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 11:03
This post received
KUDOS
Glad to hear you're enjoying the test, Haik, and congratulations on achieving so much success with them! A few thoughts on scoring reliability:

-Our tests are administered and scored using Item Response Theory (the same system that the GMAT and GRE use), and so both user ability and question difficulty is determined using our ~4.5 million user responses in the system. That's why we've been able to enjoy such (relatively) accurate scoring - we're not guessing at question difficulty via "easy/medium/hard," but instead using the same kind of data-driven system that powers all the official tests.

-Similar to the official tests, though, the data is a little less robust at the ends of the bell curves. The folks at GMAC have admitted that they're less confident in the accuracy of a 750 vs. a 770 than they are in the accuracy of a 650 vs. 670, and we'd have to admit the same. Given that most users will at some point see 650-level questions (whether they're 700 level but missed a couple "easy" ones or they're a 600 level but got a few hard ones right), but significantly fewer will see the 750-level questions, the data just isn't as powerful at the poles.

-Pursuant to that...I just went into the system to check the error margins on your tests, and as I'd kind of expect you're probably looking at a 40-50 point standard error on those as opposed to the normal ~30. So I'd probably take from your test that you're "poised to score well above 700" but not necessarily that you're a 790 scorer.

-Anecdotally, I trust our quant scores almost to the exact point...I've had students take as many as 10 quant sections with really accurate scoring each time and congruent to their test day scores. Verbal is just a little less precise, in large part because the item difficulty and user abilities are all calculated using user stats, and those verbal skills haven't quite produced as concrete of IRT data curves as the quant skills have (which, as I've read in academic literature, is what a lot of these tests find, too). So I've recommended to my own students that they take their verbal score with a few points on either side as a range, whereas their quant score is something that they can be very, very confident in. The overall net effect is that the scores have been even more accurate than we would have predicted when we started, but particularly at the upper limits that "within 30 points" stat widens just a little bit largely due to an increased verbal error margin.

I hope that helps...

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [1] , given: 48

Re: Credibility of the Veritas Test Scores [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 11:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey Haik, one more thought: It's very normal to get a number of questions wrong and still get a very high score. Think about how a computer-adaptive test works: It's supposed to give you questions that are appropriate given your estimated ability level. If you get everything right, then the questions aren't hard enough! This is even true for very high scores -- no one is expected to get EVERY question right!

You can read more about this here:

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/07 ... ice-tests/

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Premium Member
Re: Credibility of the Veritas Test Scores [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 21:17
VeritasPrepBrian

I also feel that I am not a 790 scorer; although I expect 50-51 on the quant, my verbal is far from being perfect. Anyway, I will post the actual result here. The test is scheduled on 29 of May ;)

quixx23

Thanks for the insight.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Credibility of the Veritas Test Scores [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2014, 20:28
Hey Haik,

Would Love to hear an update as to how close your actual GMAT score was to the veritas Prep.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 2

Premium Member
Re: Credibility of the Veritas Test Scores [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2014, 04:34
This post received
KUDOS
FYI, I have taken the exam today. The total score is 760 (Q50, V44)&IR 7. I feel that I could have scored higher on quant, but nonetheless, given that English is my third (if any) language, this is also a great score :)

VeritasPrep tests are probably the best in terms of the content. Verbal score may sometimes be inflated, but the questions, especially in the quantitative section, were very similar to the actual ones. Kudos to the VeritasPrep team. Guys, you are awesome ;)

MGMAT and GmatClub also offer great tests, but their value is in the difficulty of the questions rather than proximity to the actual exam. Do not take their scores seriously and concentrate on studying the material and tricks through these tests.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Credibility of the Veritas Test Scores [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2014, 09:34
Hello Haik,

Congrats for your score !! Awesome!

I would like to have, if possible, your input from your experience on the real GMAT test and the veritas tests:

My understanding is that the quant veritas test is so similar to the real GMAT test. Is this related to the content of the questions, the score, or both?

In connection with the verbal section: In which subsection (CR, RC, SC) the difference is the more obvious between the veritas test and the real GMAT test?

What do you think about the scoring of the verbal section on the veritas test?

Finally, in your opinion, the real GMAT verbal questions are the most similar to which material products? Did you have the occasion to work of the comprehension list of the SC, CR and RC published on this site? Is there a similarity between the questions of those lists and the real GMAT you took?

Many thanks for your input and your help on this!

My score on the veritas tests are the following: 700, 690, 690, 660,660 and 660. The quant is between 47 and 48 and the verbal is between 33 and 38 (the difference on the verbal score depends on a good level om my physical state when i took those tests)
Intern
Intern

Premium Member
Re: Credibility of the Veritas Test Scores [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2014, 11:25
Hello camo,

camo wrote:
Hello Haik,

My understanding is that the quant veritas test is so similar to the real GMAT test. Is this related to the content of the questions, the score, or both?

In my opinion, Veritas quant closely resembles to the real test both in the content and scoring. However, note that I have used other sources as well in my preparation. Do not rely solely on Veritas tests, rather use them as a valid estimator.

camo wrote:
In connection with the verbal section: In which subsection (CR, RC, SC) the difference is the more obvious between the veritas test and the real GMAT test?

What do you think about the scoring of the verbal section on the veritas test?

In terms of the content the Veritas verbal section was not different from the real test, at least for me. Although, the scoring of verbal section was sometimes inflated, I think you should not be concerned with that, since you score in 70-80th percentiles, for which there are plenty of questions. The score is distorted only for very high percentiles, i.e. 98,99, because the system lacks data for very tough questions.

camo wrote:
Finally, in your opinion, the real GMAT verbal questions are the most similar to which material products? Did you have the occasion to work of the comprehension list of the SC, CR and RC published on this site? Is there a similarity between the questions of those lists and the real GMAT you took?

I will repeat myself: Veritas questions are the most representative (of course, except of the official ones). Yet, use them in conjunction with Gmat Club tests and Manhattan, because these are really useful to build stamina and learn the concepts.

camo wrote:
Many thanks for your input and your help on this!

My score on the veritas tests are the following: 700, 690, 690, 660,660 and 660. The quant is between 47 and 48 and the verbal is between 33 and 38 (the difference on the verbal score depends on a good level om my physical state when i took those tests)

Practice creates masters!! Work hard, it always pays off ;)

Hope this helps, and good luck to you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Credibility of the Veritas Test Scores [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2014, 12:45
Thx Haik,

Much appreciated :lol:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Credibility of the Veritas Test Scores [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2014, 05:22
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Glad to hear you're enjoying the test, Haik, and congratulations on achieving so much success with them! A few thoughts on scoring reliability:

-Our tests are administered and scored using Item Response Theory (the same system that the GMAT and GRE use), and so both user ability and question difficulty is determined using our ~4.5 million user responses in the system. That's why we've been able to enjoy such (relatively) accurate scoring - we're not guessing at question difficulty via "easy/medium/hard," but instead using the same kind of data-driven system that powers all the official tests.

-Similar to the official tests, though, the data is a little less robust at the ends of the bell curves. The folks at GMAC have admitted that they're less confident in the accuracy of a 750 vs. a 770 than they are in the accuracy of a 650 vs. 670, and we'd have to admit the same. Given that most users will at some point see 650-level questions (whether they're 700 level but missed a couple "easy" ones or they're a 600 level but got a few hard ones right), but significantly fewer will see the 750-level questions, the data just isn't as powerful at the poles.

-Pursuant to that...I just went into the system to check the error margins on your tests, and as I'd kind of expect you're probably looking at a 40-50 point standard error on those as opposed to the normal ~30. So I'd probably take from your test that you're "poised to score well above 700" but not necessarily that you're a 790 scorer.

-Anecdotally, I trust our quant scores almost to the exact point...I've had students take as many as 10 quant sections with really accurate scoring each time and congruent to their test day scores. Verbal is just a little less precise, in large part because the item difficulty and user abilities are all calculated using user stats, and those verbal skills haven't quite produced as concrete of IRT data curves as the quant skills have (which, as I've read in academic literature, is what a lot of these tests find, too). So I've recommended to my own students that they take their verbal score with a few points on either side as a range, whereas their quant score is something that they can be very, very confident in. The overall net effect is that the scores have been even more accurate than we would have predicted when we started, but particularly at the upper limits that "within 30 points" stat widens just a little bit largely due to an increased verbal error margin.

I hope that helps...

MGMAT 1: 5/May : 570 (Q37, V31)
MGMAT 2: 17/May:600(Q41, V32) - went 5 mins overtime each section(paused the clock)
MGMAT 3: 6/June: 580(Q37, V32)
VerCAT : 15/June: 710 (Q49, V38)

I felt Veritas 700 level quant were the equivalent to MGMAT's 500 level.

I'm exploring the option of buying some more Veritas tests. However, this huge bump in my score makes me skeptical of the reliability.

Can someone pls. explain this bump in my score after 1 week of prep?

Kudos my back and I Kudos your back

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

Re: Credibility of the Veritas Test Scores [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2014, 07:01
Expert's post
amenon55 wrote:

MGMAT 1: 5/May : 570 (Q37, V31)
MGMAT 2: 17/May:600(Q41, V32) - went 5 mins overtime each section(paused the clock)
MGMAT 3: 6/June: 580(Q37, V32)
VerCAT : 15/June: 710 (Q49, V38)

I felt Veritas 700 level quant were the equivalent to MGMAT's 500 level.

I'm exploring the option of buying some more Veritas tests. However, this huge bump in my score makes me skeptical of the reliability.

Can someone pls. explain this bump in my score after 1 week of prep?

I won't make claims about the accuracy (or inaccuracy) of any other test prep companies' practice tests, but I would caution you against judging your score progress by looking at your score on one company's test and then comparing to how you later did on another company's test. Is it that the first test scored you too low? Did the second test score you too high? Did you truly improve that much over the past two weeks? It may be all of the above.

We at Veritas Prep are extremely confident about the score accuracy of our tests (and we have the data to back it up), so I am willing to say that you're much closer to 700 right now than to 600, assuming that you perform as well on test day. But, be careful with these comparisons!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Credibility of the Veritas Test Scores   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2014, 07:01