Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 11:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists who

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 166
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 82 [2] , given: 6

Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists who [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 06:35
2
This post received
KUDOS
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

28% (03:08) correct 72% (02:11) wrong based on 505 sessions
Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists who scorn
allegiance to their society and who advocate
detachment rather than civicmindedness. However,
modem literature is distinguished from the literature of
earlier eras in part because it more frequently treats
such protagonists sympathetically. Sympathetic
treatment of such characters suggests to readers that
one should be unconcerned about contributing to
societal good. Thus, modem literature can damage
individuals who appropriate this attitude, as well as
damage society at large.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which
the critic's argument relies?

(A) Some individuals in earlier eras were more
concerned about contributing to societal good
than is any modem individual.
(B) It is to the advantage of some individuals that they
be concerned with contributing to societal good.
(C) Some individuals must believe that their society is
better than most before they can become
concerned with benefiting it.
(D) The aesthetic merit of some literary works cannot
be judged in complete independence of their moral
effects.
(E) Modem literature is generally not as conducive
to societal good as was the literature of earlier
eras.

If someone can explain the reasoning behind choosing an answer choice,it will be good as I couldn't grasp the idea of the argument.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by vjsharma25 on 06 Apr 2011, 11:50, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Matriculating
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 931
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: seems tough to me!! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 07:06
Have tried my best :-). This is the paraphrase -

"The previous works of literature scorn the works of detachments towards the society. However modern literature seems to sympathasize with those nonchalant people. Hence modern literature promotes detrimental attitude of aloofness among the individuals."

A - This must be assumed. If this is not true then whether the literature is good or bad we may not able able to access the efficacy of the argument. The "few" good men of the previous era must be genuinely concerned about the societal good for the argument to be sane

B - may not necessarily be assumed. Whether the individual will have "advantage" has no bearing on the argument. The argument relies on how modern literature affects the individuals.

C - may not necessarily be assumed. Is very parochial and says nothing about how the modern literature will affects the individual

D - The aesthetic merit of the iliteray works is plain wrong and has no bearing on the argument.

Hence take A. If the answer is wrong please be patient.
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Matriculating
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 931
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: seems tough to me!! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 08:37
I change to B. The necessary assumption here is -
The "few" good men must be genuinely concerned about the societal good

If I insert B into the argument it becomes meaningful.

I believe in A "more" need not be assumed. another keyword is "any" which is unwarranted. B it is.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 166
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 6

Re: seems tough to me!! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 08:52
gmat1220 wrote:
I change to B. The necessary assumption here is -
The "few" good men must be genuinely concerned about the societal good

If I insert B into the argument it becomes meaningful.

I believe in A "more" need not be assumed. another keyword is "any" which is unwarranted. B it is.

Yes answer is B. But still m not able to get how come the advantage of some individuals comes into the picture?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 166
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 6

Re: seems tough to me!! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 09:01
Is it because some people are concerned about the societal good,they are getting benefited from that and if they are unconcerned then they will not get that benefit or in other words will damage themselves (as passage suggests) ?

So if they are damaging themselves and society at large by showing indifferent attitude,it must be assumed that they must get some benefit by showing some concern towards society.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: seems tough to me!! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 10:38
Would you mind sharing the source of the question?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 166
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 6

Re: seems tough to me!! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 11:34
sk818020 wrote:
Would you mind sharing the source of the question?

Source is mentioned in the question tag.Its from LSAT.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: seems tough to me!! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 11:37
vjsharma25 wrote:
sk818020 wrote:
Would you mind sharing the source of the question?

Source is mentioned in the question tag.Its from LSAT.


Excuse me I should have clarified. Can you please tell me which test number? The reason I ask is that I have never seen an LSAT critical reasoning question that only had 4 answer choices.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 166
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 6

Re: seems tough to me!! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 11:45
sk818020 wrote:
vjsharma25 wrote:
sk818020 wrote:
Would you mind sharing the source of the question?

Source is mentioned in the question tag.Its from LSAT.


Excuse me I should have clarified. Can you please tell me which test number? The reason I ask is that I have never seen an LSAT critical reasoning question that only had 4 answer choices.

Edited the original post.Its from test number 46.
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Matriculating
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 931
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: seems tough to me!! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 01:21
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey vjsharma25
I have seen one pattern in LSAT questions - and this pattern is absent on gmat questions. The question is seeking an answer which splits the "sufficient condition" Vs the "necessary condition". I believe that the necessary condition is one we have analyzed - the society needs few good men. The sufficient condition is good people benefit from the good deed - that is the reason OA has "It is to the advantage of some individuals". If you don't read this carefully you are going to miss the point.

This pattern will not make an error of judgement on GMAT CR but on LSAT it will because legal documents must split between what is necessary and sufficient - I mean they should. So as a management aspirant we don't have to be discrete between the splits - necessary VS sufficient. If you looking for a law school then you must differentiate between the two on first sight :-)

vjsharma25 wrote:
Is it because some people are concerned about the societal good,they are getting benefited from that and if they are unconcerned then they will not get that benefit or in other words will damage themselves (as passage suggests) ?

So if they are damaging themselves and society at large by showing indifferent attitude,it must be assumed that they must get some benefit by showing some concern towards society.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 166
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 6

Re: seems tough to me!! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 01:49
gmat1220 wrote:
Hey vjsharma25
I have seen one pattern in LSAT questions - and this pattern is absent on gmat questions. The question is seeking an answer which splits the "sufficient condition" Vs the "necessary condition". I believe that the necessary condition is one we have analyzed - the society needs few good men. The sufficient condition is good people benefit from the good deed - that is the reason OA has "It is to the advantage of some individuals". If you don't read this carefully you are going to miss the point.

This pattern will not make an error of judgement on GMAT CR but on LSAT it will because legal documents must split between what is necessary and sufficient - I mean they should. So as a management aspirant we don't have to be discrete between the splits - necessary VS sufficient. If you looking for a law school then you must differentiate between the two on first sight :-)

vjsharma25 wrote:
Is it because some people are concerned about the societal good,they are getting benefited from that and if they are unconcerned then they will not get that benefit or in other words will damage themselves (as passage suggests) ?

So if they are damaging themselves and society at large by showing indifferent attitude,it must be assumed that they must get some benefit by showing some concern towards society.

Thats insightful.Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
VP
VP
avatar
Status: There is always something new !!
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Joined: 08 May 2009
Posts: 1365
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: seems tough to me!! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 18:13
I guess re reading the conclusion gives a hint about those individuals being talked about here.
Interests of those individuals can be damaged is the point made.

B takes this into consideration.
_________________

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 258
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [5] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: seems tough to me!! [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 05:26
5
This post received
KUDOS
It's useful to use the "negate" technique on tough assumption questions.

In the presence of modifiers like "some", "all", "none", "never" -- we should negate that modifier to take its logical opposite.

With the modified "assumption" -- the conclusion must fall apart if it is the correct answer choice.

Let us examine choice A:

Some (modify this) individuals in earlier eras were more
concerned about contributing to societal good
than is any modem individual

Modified A: No individuals in earlier eras were more
concerned about contributing to societal good
than is any modem individual.

Ok..but the author's conclusion is valid. The author only claims that modern literature can damage individuals and society at large. So what if NO individuals in the earlier ears were more concerned about societal good than any modern individual? The author's conclusion is still valid.

Lets look at choice B:

It is to the advantage of some (modify) individuals that they
be concerned with contributing to societal good.

Modified B: It is to the advantage of NO individuals that they
be concerned with contributing to societal good.

From "negated" choice B -- we know that it makes no sense for any individual to contribute to society. If it makes no sense to contribute to society -->> modern literature's influence is inconsequential. And thus the author's argument falls apart. Choice B is correct.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 244
Location: India
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: seems tough to me!! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 05:44
B for Me
_________________

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 109
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: seems tough to me!! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 18:35
vjsharma25 wrote:
Is it because some people are concerned about the societal good,they are getting benefited from that and if they are unconcerned then they will not get that benefit or in other words will damage themselves (as passage suggests) ?

So if they are damaging themselves and society at large by showing indifferent attitude,it must be assumed that they must get some benefit by showing some concern towards society.



Thanks for the explanation.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 176
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: seems tough to me!! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 10:44
+ 1 for A
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 1892
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists who [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2014, 20:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 269
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 29

Re: Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists who [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 04:56
Phew!Took approx.4 minutes before I noticed 'can damage individuals' at the last.On that basis alone chose B.
Because if being unconcerned with social good is damaging to individuals,the author must assume the opposite ie being concerned with social good to be true.
Is this reasoning incorrect?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2013
Posts: 173
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 56

Re: Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists who [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 05:43
I pretty much arrived at the same answer with the same reasoning. And OA is B indeed. also others seem far away from being proper assumption.

AKG1593 wrote:
Phew!Took approx.4 minutes before I noticed 'can damage individuals' at the last.On that basis alone chose B.
Because if being unconcerned with social good is damaging to individuals,the author must assume the opposite ie being concerned with social good to be true.
Is this reasoning incorrect?

Posted from my mobile device Image

_________________

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Re: Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists who   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2014, 05:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Advertisers are often criticized for their unscrupulous garimavyas 1 12 May 2011, 23:22
1 Advertisers are often criticized for their unscrupulous vineetgupta 24 04 Dec 2006, 11:43
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Advertisers are often criticized for their unscrupulous jyotsnasarabu 12 12 Nov 2006, 09:22
Advertisers are often criticized for their unscrupulous faifai0714 10 10 Oct 2006, 17:55
Often credited as the founder of English literature, Geoff bewakoof 9 10 Jan 2006, 22:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Critic: Works of literature often present protagonists who

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.