Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 11:38

Happy Thanksgiving:

Free Access to GMAT Club Tests until 11 AM PST on Fri 11/28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Critical reasoning Answers and Explantions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [2] , given: 1

Critical reasoning Answers and Explantions [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 00:18
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:05) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
Can someone please provide me with the answers and an explanation to the following questions below. Thanks

Questions 5 and 6 refer to the following text
E-business is gradually taking over from ordinary "bricks-and-mortar" premises. The companies listed on the NASDAQ, the stock exchange index for the new technological companies, rose on average more than twice as fast as the fastest-rising stocks listed on the Dow Jones index.

5) The argument above contains which of the following assumptions?

a)The share price of e-businesses will continue to rise.
b)The Dow Jones index only lists companies which perform badly.
c)The NASDAQ never lists companies which are performing badly.
d)The Dow Jones index will continue to rise less quickly than the NASDAQ.
e)The companies listed on the NASDAQ are not also listed on the Dow Jones.

6) The argument about e-businesses would be strengthened most by which of the following?

a) A report by a financial expert stating that share prices are set to rise in the future.
b) An end-of-year statement by a company listed on the NASDAQ announcing record profits for the past year.
c) An article in the Financial Times indicating that a larger proportion of traditional (non e-business) firms have gone bankrupt than new e-businesses.
d) A novel by a company director about an e-business that succeeds spectacularly.
e) A reduction in corporation tax for new e-businesses by the Chancellor of the Exchequer.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Re: Critical reasoning Answers and Explantions [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
5. e ?
6. c ?
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 76 [2] , given: 2

Re: Critical reasoning Answers and Explantions [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
same ... i also had E and C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 1

Re: Critical reasoning Answers and Explantions [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 11:13
Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Critical reasoning Answers and Explantions [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 12:18
This post received
KUDOS
What are OAs?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 378

Kudos [?]: 1919 [1] , given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Critical reasoning Answers and Explantions [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
C. in 6 is not clear for me. :?
Can anybody explain?

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Critical reasoning Answers and Explantions [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 13:19
This post received
KUDOS
I am not sure if my thinking is correct but here's why I think it's c for 6.

The argument (conclusion) is that e-business companies are 'taking over' than bricks and mortars i.e. e-business are successful than bricks and mortars which is why they can be thought of 'taking over'.

The only answer choice (to me) that strengthens this conclusion is c, which says that that more traditional companies are failing than non traditional (e-business) companies.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 378

Kudos [?]: 1919 [1] , given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Critical reasoning Answers and Explantions [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 13:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
varunk wrote:
I am not sure if my thinking is correct but here's why I think it's c for 6.

The argument (conclusion) is that e-business companies are 'taking over' than bricks and mortars i.e. e-business are successful than bricks and mortars which is why they can be thought of 'taking over'.

The only answer choice (to me) that strengthens this conclusion is c, which says that that more traditional companies are failing than non traditional (e-business) companies.

Thanks. That makes sense now.
+1

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 107 [2] , given: 0

Re: Critical reasoning Answers and Explantions [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 18:27
This post received
KUDOS
5) The argument above contains which of the following assumptions?
Conclusion: E-business is gradually taking over from ordinary "bricks-and-mortar" premises.

a)The share price of e-businesses will continue to rise.[To extreme – eliminate it]

b)The Dow Jones index only lists companies which perform badly. [What Dow Jones list is out of scope – eliminate it

c)The NASDAQ never lists companies which are performing badly.[What NASDAQ list is out of scope – eliminate it]

d)The Dow Jones index will continue to rise less quickly than the NASDAQ.[To extreme – eliminate it]

e)The companies listed on the NASDAQ are not also listed on the Dow Jones. [Hold it]

Answer: E

6) The argument about e-businesses would be strengthened most by which of the following?

a) A report by a financial expert stating that share prices are set to rise in the future.[Good one – but it can strengthen complete market, not specifically e-businesses – eliminate it]

b) An end-of-year statement by a company listed on the NASDAQ announcing record profits for the past year.[This is only one company success story – eliminate it]

c) An article in the Financial Times indicating that a larger proportion of traditional (non e-business) firms have gone bankrupt than new e-businesses.[ Both businesses are compared and provided information that e-businesses are growing – hold it]

d) A novel by a company director about an e-business that succeeds spectacularly.[Definitely a success story but has no future indication that the company continue to grow – eliminate it]

e) A reduction in corporation tax for new e-businesses by the Chancellor of the Exchequer.[Corporation tax not even mentioned in the argument – eliminate it]

Answer: C
Re: Critical reasoning Answers and Explantions   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2008, 18:27