Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Critical Reasoning Help - Manhattan/PowerScore/LSAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Critical Reasoning Help - Manhattan/PowerScore/LSAT? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 13:07
I started preparing for the GMAT over a month ago, and intend to give it in about 2 months time; I've improved in most aspects at a reasonable pace, but I haven't improved that much in CR (gone up from about 40% to 55% in the diagnostic tests in that particular section).

While reading many of the helpful posts on this forum, I've come to the conclusion that the PowerScore CR Bible is probably the best, so I've got a copy of that and am still going through it. However, many people say that the Manhattan Books are the best overall; so is the Manhattan CR book as good or better than the PowerScore CR Bible? And should I go for it? Also, I read the "Top 20 Best GMAT Books on GMAT Club" Thread on the GMAT Books with the maximum references and when it comes to CR, the winner seems to be the Manhattan CR book - over the PowerScore CR Bible.

Another thing I've read about is how many have studied CR from the LSAT questions to gain an edge. I would like to verify - are the same concepts tested in LSAT, and not something else? I have downloaded the GMAT_LSAT_CR.doc file, and am wondering whether to solve the LSAT portion as well.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 476 [1] , given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Critical Reasoning Help - Manhattan/PowerScore/LSAT? [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 13:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
While both companies have good CR guides, the Powerscore CR Bible is generally regarded as the best in this category. Even if others prefer the Manhattan CR guide, there is certainly no need to buy both.

Regarding LSAT questions for your GMAT preparation, see this link: lsat-books-for-gmat-verbal-prep-97191.html#p749007

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Critical Reasoning Help - Manhattan/PowerScore/LSAT? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 01:03
Thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Critical Reasoning Help - Manhattan/PowerScore/LSAT? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 07:51
While I can't talk about what the PowerScore book has to offer, I can say that students do like our books and find them extremely useful. You can check out our reviews on Amazon for the CR book:

http://www.amazon.com/Critical-Reasoning-Preparation-Manhattan-Guides/dp/0982423802/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280935987&sr=8-3

Additionally, we have a sister LSAT company that offers a great Logical Reasoning guide. While I can't fully endorse using an LSAT prep book to practice for the GMAT because they are completely different tests by nature, here's a link to the Logical Reasoning book if you are interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Logical-Reasoning-Strategy-Guide/dp/098405491X/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280936046&sr=1-6

Regardless of what you choose, good luck studying! The GMAT is a tough test, and the CR section can be extremely nuanced in the types of questions it asks.

Best,

Michael Dinerstein
michael@manhattangmat.com

Michael Dinerstein

Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Critical Reasoning Help - Manhattan/PowerScore/LSAT?   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2010, 07:51