Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Critics of Federal Reserve argue that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Critics of Federal Reserve argue that [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 05:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

58% (02:03) correct 42% (01:34) wrong based on 58 sessions
My question is more towards finding conclusion of this argument.

I have the OA with me, but will reveal later. Let me know the answer along with the conclusion of this argument.
Attachments

CR.JPG
CR.JPG [ 53.67 KiB | Viewed 1559 times ]

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Expert Post
Followers: 289

Kudos [?]: 2433 [0], given: 693

Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 05:52
Expert's post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 06:06
carcass wrote:
The first one is a position; the second one is what in reality refute completely the first one.

Infact in reality happens the contrary.

B it is :)
B says second provides evidence which is not so.
Also, can you please let us know what is the conclusion in this argument?

Conclusion is what making me to doubt actual answer of this question.

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 75

Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 06:53
Conclusion:-
Increasing the demand of US dollars, improving the purchasing power of avg american.

IMO (A)
FIRST is critic's prediction.
Second is a fact/truth.

(D) is close tie, but incorrect because argument is not opposing the critic's view rather the second bold face sentence is saying that the second part is not much different from the first, but later the second part is stating facts.

OA?

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.96
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 127

Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 07:19
IMO it should be A..first is a "certain" prediction and second is FACT!!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 10:32
IMO (B)
The position is that there is hyperinflation occuring. The second part shows the different reality to dispute that position.

OA pls.
Expert Post
Followers: 289

Kudos [?]: 2433 [0], given: 693

Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 10:38
Expert's post
joshnsit wrote:
carcass wrote:
The first one is a position; the second one is what in reality refute completely the first one.

Infact in reality happens the contrary.

B it is :)
B says second provides evidence which is not so.
Also, can you please let us know what is the conclusion in this argument?

Conclusion is what making me to doubt actual answer of this question.

The conclusion is : In reality, and so on and so forth.........we have a statement where dollars HELP companies and provide 3 examples: cars, $ and purchasing power

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 16:19
My Answer is A. critic's prediction is inline with the Second piece, which is a fact/truth.

Whats OA?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 11:43
joshnsit wrote:

I have the OA with me, but will reveal later. Let me know the answer along with the conclusion of this argument.

Kindly reveal the source of the question.
The second statement says - Reality cannot be more different, meaning - Should almost be in accordance with critics' argument.
However, the statement at the end gives the author's view - as opposed to the critics' view.
So, perhaps the second statement is probably understood as - The reality - Which is not what critics argue is is not more different. Ie. Is actually not what critics argue.
So, B.

Sorry if I tried to confuse a few... But, I doubt whether such a question is genuine enough.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 09-10-2012

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 15:07
joshnsit wrote:

First of all Critic's claim and authors claim is opposite. Lets understand

Critics argue that Hyperinflation is evident...........bcuz blah blah blah will lead to devaluation of dollar......."That is purchasing power will decrease"
While author claims that blah blah blah will improve purchasing power.

So its contradictory. A and E goes out.

"Hyperinflation is evident" cannot be an evidence. C goes out

Statement "Reality can not be more different" Here author is giving what happens in reality which is a fact.

Hence B.

OA please.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 17:41
raghupara wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
The second statement says - Reality cannot be more different, meaning - Should almost be in accordance with critics' argument.
However, the statement at the end gives the author's view - as opposed to the critics' view.
So, perhaps the second statement is probably understood as - The reality - Which is not what critics argue is is not more different. Ie. Is actually not what critics argue.
So, B.

Sorry if I tried to confuse a few... But, I doubt whether such a question is genuine enough.
Thanks.
"Reality cant be more different" is like an idiom/phrase/proverb which actually means "In reality, things are completely different". So, it has to differ from Critic's point of view expressed earlier before the sentence "Reality cant be more different".

The source is eGMAT. I am convinced with OA , but I am looking for conclusion which I feel is "Reality cant be more different" here, but not sure of. So, need some expert help here whether we have conclusion explicitly stated here or not. So, still keeping this post open here for my expected conclusion.

BTW, evidence is based on facts whereas "Reality cant be more different" is author's opinion(in which he/she(author) differs from critic's opinion). Because when author says "In reality, the increased capital flow would enable US companies .....", the would suggests that he is expecting this to happen with a probability/possibility.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 21:26
joshnsit wrote:
raghupara wrote:
joshnsit wrote:
So, B.

Thanks.
"Reality cant be more different" is like an idiom/phrase/proverb which actually means "In reality, things are completely different". So, it has to differ from Critic's point of view expressed earlier before the sentence "Reality cant be more different".

The source is eGMAT. I am convinced with OA , but I am looking for conclusion which I feel is "Reality cant be more different" here, but not sure of. So, need some expert help here whether we have conclusion explicitly stated here or not. So, still keeping this post open here for my expected conclusion.

BTW, evidence is based on facts whereas "Reality cant be more different" is author's opinion(in which he/she(author) differs from critic's opinion). Because when author says "In reality, the increased capital flow would enable US companies .....", the would suggests that he is expecting this to happen with a probability/possibility.

Oh Cool..
That's a great detail.. I didn't know that idiom..
Thanks many,
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 11

Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 08:42
it sounds like "reality cannot be more different 'from the truth' or 'than truth'.
well, never knew this to be idiom!

So the answer is "D"? with this being idiom ?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1118

Kudos [?]: 5072 [1] , given: 164

Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 21:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
joshnsit wrote:

If you understand a little bit of economics, the question is very clear. Else, you could get a little muddled but if you ignore the technicalities and just focus on logic, you will still get your answer easily. Also, "The reality cannot be more different." means the reality is very different. It is so different that it cannot be any more different. (If you had trouble understanding this, it means you do not read enough.)

"Hyper inflation is evident" is the critics' point of view. The rest of the sentence gives you reasons they cite for their point of view. The critics say that the $ will be devalued.
The author starts his point of view by saying that the reality is very different i.e. in reality, there is no hyper inflation. Then he goes on to substantiate his point of view. He says that Americans purchasing power will increase i.e. the $ may appreciate.
So the author's opinion is radically different from the critics'.

So the first statement in bold is a position that the argument opposes.
The second statement is the author's prediction, his point of view. It introduces the position that the argument endorses.

Hence (D) is the correct answer.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 09:38
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
joshnsit wrote:

If you understand a little bit of economics, the question is very clear. Else, you could get a little muddled but if you ignore the technicalities and just focus on logic, you will still get your answer easily. Also, "The reality cannot be more different." means the reality is very different. It is so different that it cannot be any more different. (If you had trouble understanding this, it means you do not read enough.)

"Hyper inflation is evident" is the critics' point of view. The rest of the sentence gives you reasons they cite for their point of view. The critics say that the $ will be devalued.
The author starts his point of view by saying that the reality is very different i.e. in reality, there is no hyper inflation. Then he goes on to substantiate his point of view. He says that Americans purchasing power will increase i.e. the $ may appreciate.

The second statement is the author's prediction, his point of view. It introduces the position that the argument endorses.

Karishma, Can we say that the sentence "Reality cant be more different" would be the conclusion?

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5072 [0], given: 164

Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 20:52
Expert's post
joshnsit wrote:

Karishma, Can we say that the sentence "Reality cant be more different" would be the conclusion?

The sentence conveys:
"There is no hyper inflation and Americans purchasing power will increase"

This is what the author is trying to express through this argument and hence can be regarded as the conclusion of this argument.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 23:08
From previous post argument is "There is no hyper inflation and Americans purchasing power will increase" which I completely agree. Here is my analysis on the available options.

A) "second is a fact" - Incorrect
B) "second is the evidence" - Incorrect
C)"first is evidence" - Incorrect
D) Both the bold phrases are predictions on high liquidity provided by fedex reserve. First phrase opposes the above said argument and second one supports. Hence correct option.
E) "second is evidence" - Incorrect
Manager
Manager

Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 23:51
joshnsit wrote:

Hi Karishma,

I was down to B & D and ended choosing B. I thought while saying reality is very different, author is choosing word "reality" to point out a fact. Because fact cant be prediction I chose B as it use term evidence which means fact. Where did I go wrong...and how should I avoid making such mistake again.
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 5072 [0], given: 164

Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 01:57
Expert's post
jaiswalamrita wrote:

Hi Karishma,

I was down to B & D and ended choosing B. I thought while saying reality is very different, author is choosing word "reality" to point out a fact. Because fact cant be prediction I chose B as it use term evidence which means fact. Where did I go wrong...and how should I avoid making such mistake again.

It is the author's opinion of what the reality is and what it is going to be. It is not a fact. The author says, "In reality, the increased capital flow would enable ..." - this is what is going to happen. He explains you what 'reality' he is talking about. If I just look at the two sentences, I might agree with you. But you cannot look at just the two sentences and decide their role. You need to consider the sentences in context of the entire passage.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 02:17
jaiswalamrita wrote:

Hi Karishma,

It is the author's opinion of what the reality is and what it is going to be. It is not a fact. The author says, "In reality, the increased capital flow would enable ..." - this is what is going to happen. He explains you what 'reality' he is talking about. If I just look at the two sentences, I might agree with you. But you cannot look at just the two sentences and decide their role. You need to consider the sentences in context of the entire passage.

I guess I got you...
So if I look the statement "In reality, the increased capital flow would enable ..." , this is truly futuristic sentence.
So should I actively look for will, would etc as a future marker to call it a prediction and does prediction sentences are limited by these marker, I mean if I dont find will, would in such context I should not consider it prediction??
Re: Boldface CR Question: Critics of Federal Reserve   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2012, 02:17