Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 02:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CUBES

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

CUBES [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 03:21
A CUBE OF 125 CMS HAS TWO ADJACENT SIDES PAINTED IN RED AND TWO ADJACENT SIDES PAINTED IN GREEN AND OTHER 2 ADJACENT SIDES IN BLUE
HOW MANY CUBES HAVE EXACTLY 2 SIDES PAINTED?
HOW MANY CUBES HAVE EXACTLY 1 SIDES PAINTED?
HOW MANY CUBES HAVE EXACTLY 0 SIDES PAINTED?
HOW MANY CUBES HAVE EXACTLY 2 SIDES PAINTED WITH 2 DIFFERENT COLORS?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1082

Kudos [?]: 4871 [1] , given: 163

Re: CUBES [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 19:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
siddharthamaridi wrote:
A CUBE OF 125 CMS HAS TWO ADJACENT SIDES PAINTED IN RED AND TWO ADJACENT SIDES PAINTED IN GREEN AND OTHER 2 ADJACENT SIDES IN BLUE

The way this question generally goes is that the entire cube is cut into pieces to give smaller cubes of sides 1 cm each. Then you are asked these questions.

Take easy-to-visualize numbers.
Say, the side of the painted big cube is 3 cm. When you make small cubes of 1 cm side out of it, you can make 27 cubes out of it. (To verify, notice that the volume of the big cube is 3*3*3 = 27 cm3 so you can make 27 cubes of volume 1 cm3 out of it)

The cubes which were on the corners of the big cube will have 3 colored faces. The cubes which were on the edges of the big cube (but not on the corner) will have 2 faces painted. The cubes which were on the face of the big cube (but not on edges) will have one face painted. The cubes lying the middle i.e. hidden from view in the big cube will have no face painted.

A cube has 8 corners so 8 small cubes will have 3 faces painted.
Each edge of a 3*3*3 cube will produce 3 cubes 2 of which will lie on the corners. So one cube from the edge will have 2 faces painted. Since a cube has 12 edges, we will get 12 small cubes with 2 faces painted.
Each face of the cube gives 9 small cubes of which 8 will lie on the edges. 1 cube in the middle will have only 1 face painted. Since a cube has 6 faces, we will get 6 cubes of 1 face painted each.
Now visualize this: You slice one layer of cubes from each of the faces of the big cube to remove all color. Now the cube you are left with will make you small cubes which will have no face painted. In case the big cube has side 3 cm, you will shave off 1 cm from top face and 1 cm from bottom face. Similarly, you will shave off 1 cm from each of the other faces. You will be left with a single small cube with no color.

Now, to verify, notice that we get a total of 8 + 12 + 6 + 1 = 27 total cubes.

Try to use the same logic with larger cube size now.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 494

Kudos [?]: 2028 [0], given: 30

Re: CUBES [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 14:46
Expert's post
siddharthamaridi wrote:

Dear Siddharthamaridi,

I am trying to make sense of your question. The prompt appears to describe one unique cube --- all six sides are painted, in such a way that each color covers a pair of adjacent sides. This creates a cube on which each color will be opposite each other color exactly once.

Then, all of your questions are of the format "how many cubes ....?" The prompt specifies one unique cube, so it appears that you have in no way specified conditions for a population of different cubes that we might count. It seems to me that the questions, as they stand, don't make sense. I guess I wonder whether there is something else you would be able to clarify about what you are trying to ask.

Also, I notice that these currently are not in GMAT form. I suspect that, with a little tweaking, these could be turned in a couple of quite intriguing DS questions. I am interesting both in helping you design the question, if desired, and in answering the questions that you pose.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 662 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: CUBES [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 23:01
EVERYTHING IN CAPS!! Scary looking question.. :p Is this in the scope of the GMAT though??

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Re: CUBES   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2012, 23:01