Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategic Management
Schools:Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Curious...how many visited every school you applied to? [#permalink]
NP, I certainly don't expect to be in the majority with my opinion :)
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V47
Send PM
I was in a fortunate position to be working/living in San Francisco and Chicago so travel and lodging were all covered. This made visiting extremely easy :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Maybe u shud start a poll to get more responses.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
I've visited 4 out of 5 schools that I'm applying to, but they were worked in with trips to see family or friends. I think the real chance to compare places will be during the accepted student events, which seem like they have a lot of planned activities to really show things off.
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V47
Send PM
That's an interesting point. How much time is there between being accepted and having to make your decision on the school? I thought it was pretty close. Hmm, I wonder how many people actually go to the accepted student events to determine whether or not they would matriculate at the school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Tech Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS, Sloan, Columbia, Stern, Tuck
 Q50  V44
Send PM
I will probably end up visiting 4 out of 6 schools while applying.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Could it really hurt you if you haven't visited, let's say by the time of the interview?

I just don't think it's very realistic for most people to visit all of these schools while working full-time. Of my 4 choices, I'll have visited one formally (class visit, tour, etc.) by the time I have interviews, and I don't feel that visiting any more than 1 of the others was particularly feasible in any sense.

Depending on where accepted, I surely will be making formal visits to make a final choice, but I hope adcom doesn't have some check box as to whether you've been able to visit campus pre-interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Tech Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS, Sloan, Columbia, Stern, Tuck
 Q50  V44
Send PM
the schools you applied to dont care, but i think the lower Tier I schools are different (say outside M7).

They want to make sure you are genuinely interested in the school, and its not just a safety choice. In fact, NYU not only has a "check the box" for campus visit but also has an entire essay (1 of 3) dedicated to "your NYU experience". what research you have done, what did you think about the campus, etc.

I think the further you are away from the school geographically the more of a pass you get 8-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Send PM
I was actually able to visit each of the schools, but luckily they were all accessible by some variation of public transportation and I had friends in each city I needed to go to, so it wasn't too difficult for me. I agree that some schools probably take it more seriously than others, but schools like HBS, Wharton and Stanford don't really need to be convinced that you're putting in the effort
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
miccarlo wrote:
That's an interesting point. How much time is there between being accepted and having to make your decision on the school? I thought it was pretty close. Hmm, I wonder how many people actually go to the accepted student events to determine whether or not they would matriculate at the school.

Usually you get some time between decisions and deposits. I think last year for Kellogg R1 the decision date was early January and deposits from admitted students were due Apr. 1.

A lot of people use the admitted student events to decide which school they're going to. It's a great chance to see what the school will be like and what your class will be like. Just from talking with my classmates here, people fell into 3 buckets: 1) sure they were coming to Kellogg before DAK (Kellogg's admitted student weekend), and DAK confirmed the decision, 2) were unsure about Kellogg vs. another school but sold on Kellogg after DAK, and 3) thought they preferred a different school but chose Kellogg after they attended DAK and the other school's event. The vast majority fell into the 2nd bucket, but just about everyone agreed that DAK was a factor in their decision. Bottom line: if you can, I would strongly encourage you to attend the admitted student events for the schools you're accepted to. Before you spend $150k and 2 years of your life at a school you want to make absolutely sure it's the place where you feel the most comfortable and is right for you.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
Living in Europe and not having much time off from work, I was only able to get in an East Coast "victory tour" this past Summer. While I had been to all these campuses before, I never was able to visit the proper MBA facilities or talk to ADCOM staff. Definitely worth it - there is always more to the place than the glossy pictures in the catalog.

I missed out on the classic "sit in the back of class" experience, but have made a point to talk to as many students as possible in my spare time. I'm not sure if you get bonus points on the application for physically visiting, but being more informed about the school will certainly help in your essays and interview.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
It is a pain for me to visit schools. Each visit will cost me any where between $400 to $500 just for airfare alone. :roll:

I am debating whether or not I should visit school in NYC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Send PM
I visited all the schools I applied. I sat in classes everywhere and it really allowed me to understand how many things are similar and how some things are not. I think it also helps us to visualize being there in that campus and how it feels overall. Moreover, even in M7 during interviews you can definitely touch upon your visit, in class experience and interaction with students, I think my interviewers appreciated it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FYI; https://blog.clearadmit.com/2009/11/do-y ... elieve-it/
Clearadmit ran a poll on this, although those options are... uh... urgh.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
i visited all my apped schools. except wharton. where it won't matter either way i think.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Kellogg, Tuck
Send PM
Out of the four schools I applied to, I only visited Tuck (in combination with the on-campus interview). Tuck REALLY emphasizes the importance of the visit, and I live close enough that it would be a bad idea not to go. I truly wish I could have visited all the schools, but I decided to use my days off to work on applications instead of doing visits.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg
 Q50  V48
Send PM
I visited every school before I applied. I think it gave me a lot of insight into what the school was about and helped me to tailor my applications accordingly. At Wharton, meeting with the HCM program director before applying definitely made a difference to my outcome (thus far). At the other schools, I doubt it will impact anything from their perspective, so it was more for my own benefit.
GMAT Club Bot