Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:48

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Current Booth Placement Stats...data from admit weekend

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

Current Booth Placement Stats...data from admit weekend [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 08:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey All, I just got back from splitting time between Kellogg's and Booth's admit weekends and thought I'd share some of the employment stats that were shared during the career sessions. I spent more time at Booth, and apparently am not remembering the Kellogg data too well, but here's what I learned at Booth.

School Internship Full Time
Booth 62% 71%

Of note:

1. Both Chicago schools claimed to be outpacing Wharton in terms of intership and full time placements. Word on the street was that Wharton internship placement was in the low-mid 50%s.

2. Booth claimed that intership placement was lagging by ~18% from last year, while full time placement is lagging by ~9%. Moreover, they suggested that students are taking different jobs than last year, with a specific mention of how some large corporate finance groups were exceedingly happy with the people they got (as they nabbed people that would otherwise be heading to the Bulge Brackets and other higher order finance jobs...is this a sign of things to come?).

Last edited by fluidian on 27 Apr 2009, 09:08, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: Current Intership Placement Stats...data from admit weekend [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 09:01
Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember Kellogg being higher than 60%. I thought it was somewhere around 65-67%.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: Current Intership Placement Stats...data from admit weekend [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 09:02
jb32 wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember Kellogg being higher than 60%. I thought it was somewhere around 65-67%.

I thought they said 64% for internship and about 70% for FT.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Current Intership Placement Stats...data from admit weekend [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 09:04
Ok, perhaps I'm wrong with the Kellogg stats...I was more focused on Booth. I've edited out the Kellogg data due to the uncertainty and my respect for their program.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Current Booth Placement Stats...data from admit weekend [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 09:26
Depressing... :(

(coming from a guy who wants to end up at a BB)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Current Intership Placement Stats...data from admit weekend [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 09:31
Dont get too worried, for one thing remember its up to students to update their status and I know a bunch of folks if you look at their status still have nothing listed but have known for a while where they are going. I wouldnt be surprised if most schools numbers are significantly better than they appear. I know my section is around 75-80% with offers but plenty of folks havent let the CMC know, especially if they havent decided. Overall I would say we definitely are over 70% but a lot of folks haven't reported, and if you take out people who arent doing anything, going back to family businesses, or starting their own thing it will look even better.

My sense is that the majority of the people still looking fall a few buckets. Those who want something that traditionally doesnt recruit until late in the year (HF/VC, Real Estate, Media etc.), are internationals who still are trying to find something in the US, and then the others (not even looking, sponsored folks, overly focused, unlucky, turned down offers but still looking).

I dont know how effective other schools are at getting students to update their status. Here its all on us to go through the system and some people either dont think its important or dont know they are supposed to do it. So unless schools are actively finding out people status, I bet that the numbers aren't as bad as they seem.

I wouldnt worry if I was going next year, for one thing next year will be better than this year and there are actually lots of opportunities still available at this point in the game. I think Steel mentioned he got 4 interviews lined up at the end of last week alone and some of those sound like really awesome opportunties.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Current Intership Placement Stats...data from admit weekend [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 10:23
rca215 wrote:
jb32 wrote:

I thought they said 64% for internship and about 70% for FT.

I heard 65% for internship, 70% for FT. And that people in non-finance areas were faring better (no surprise there).
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

Re: Current Booth Placement Stats...data from admit weekend [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 11:15
At Booth things are similar to Kellogg. The numbers aren't as "good" as they were previously, but they aren't that bad. One interesting thing is that because of this numbers on the internship side, the career services has done an amazing job, I've seen many interesting offers (things such as working for the NBA in China for instance!).

As an international, I'd like to point out that many offers are just for US citizens and permanent residents only, which sucks for us, on the other hand there are many people, including Americans, going overseas during their summer. I know people going to a PE in Uruguay, and Media Management in Argentina. I'm going to Chile, but it is different in my case.

Anyone has its own strategy. I talked to people (mostly internationals) who don't want to take an internship if they don't find their "dream job. If things don't work out, they will take classes during the summer and graduate sooner. These people are usually internationals who want to stay in the US, who in my opinion (very biased though) are still in the "denial phase".

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: Current Booth Placement Stats...data from admit weekend [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 18:28
Wharton's numbers are 50% Internship 76% FT...

most of those left without anything to do this summer are international students..

the numbers are indeed bad..
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: Current Booth Placement Stats...data from admit weekend [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 19:30
Depressing. But hey it's only this year, next year will be different.

Re: Current Booth Placement Stats...data from admit weekend   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2009, 19:30