Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2798 [43]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [7]
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [4]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q45  V27 GMAT 2: 640  Q47  V31
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Re: Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of consumers. It [#permalink]
Kudos
Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of consumers. It increases food prices for middle- and low-income families and costs the taxpayer billions of dollars a year.
Which of the following statements, if true, would provide support for the author’s claims above?

I. Farm subsidies amount to roughly $20 billion a year in federal payouts and $12 billion more in higher food prices. affects consumer since food prices increases due to farm subsidies
II. According to a study by the Department of Agriculture, each $1 of benefits provided to farmers for ethanol production costs consumers and taxpayers $4.
benefits given to farmers affects taxpayers
III. The average full-time farmers have an average net worth of over $300,000. networth of farmers doesn't affect tax payers and consumers so irrelavant

only option I and II support authors claim

so my choice is D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy Consulting
Schools:HEC Paris, , Tepper
Send PM
Re: Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of consumers. It [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Clearly, D is the right answer.

Some people have asked why II results in "millions of dollars".

On the GMAT CR, it helps if you really focus on the main scheme or idea.

This question is actually simple, because the central theme of the question stem (i.e. central assumption of the question stem) is just one:

"Government policy of financial aids to the farmers hurts the consumers financially."

So, if "for each dollar the farmers receive, the consumers need to pay 4 dollars", it is REASONABLE to infer that these 4 dollars accumulate into millions of the taxes these consumers need to pay to assist the farmers.

The reasonability of inference depends on the context. It's similar in everyday conversations. Let's assume that we are talking about the VAT in say, France (VAT = 15%). Then, if I say that "for every euro I spend, the government gets 15 cents.", it is totally reasonable to infer that the French government gets not only my 15 cents but also millions (if not billions) Euro from VAT, others pay.

Hope this helps to clarify the question some of you had.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.29
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
My attempt at explaining D:

- Identify the type of question: Strengthen
- Most, if not all Strengthen questions require the test taker to strengthen the Conclusion
- Identify the Conclusion: "Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of consumers."
- Therefore, any answer choice that lends support to this conclusion is a Strengthener

I. This is the easiest answer choice - clearly consumers are penalized by higher food prices. This answer provides cold, hard numbers (i.e., $12 bn). YES

II. This is the trickiest answer choice - the test maker tries to throw you off by shifting your focus away from the conclusion and onto the premise. This is why for CR questions, identifying and separating the conclusion and premise (in addition to subsidiary conclusion and counter-premise) is so important. The trick is to not fall into the trap of trying to strengthen the premise (i.e., the second sentence of the stimulus). At the end of the day, you are trying to prove the conclusion that [general] farm policy hurts consumers. Regardless of whether this answer choice pertains to food prices, this answer choice gives readers more reason to believe the conclusion. YES

III. Also pretty easy to get rid of this answer - a farmer's net worth has nothing to do with whether farm policy penalizes consumers. The focus of the conclusion is on consumers, not farmers. NO
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of consumers. It increases food prices for middle- and low-income families and costs the taxpayer billions of dollars a year.

Which of the following statements, if true, would provide support for the author’s claims above?
*Current farm policy increases food costs for middle and low income families and penalizes taxpayers.
I. Farm subsidies amount to roughly $20 billion a year in federal payouts and $12 billion more in higher food prices. *Supports food increase claim
II. According to a study by the Department of Agriculture, each $1 of benefits provided to farmers for ethanol production costs consumers and taxpayers $4.*Supports penalization of taxpayers (Ethanol production costs consumers and taxpayers)
III. The average full-time farmers have an average net worth of over $300,000. *Their net worth doesn't affect consumers or taxpayers.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I, II, and III
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
I highly doubt that this is a valid gmat CR question.
Moreover, it is very ambiguous, as the fact that something can lead to smth else does not mean that it really is. What if the farmers are not given anything to process their crops into ethanol?
What if by processing the ethanol, the price per gallon of gas decreases by 5$? This clearly does not affect much the taxpayers who have cars.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Conclusion: Farm policy = Penalized for consumer
Argument : Inc. Food prices for families & costs taxpayer billions of dollars
Strengthen: To provide the statistics for the above argument.

I. Farm subsidies amount to roughly $20 billion a year in federal payouts and $12 billion more in higher food prices.
II. According to a study by the Department of Agriculture, each $1 of benefits provided to farmers for ethanol production costs consumers and taxpayers $4.

III. The average full-time farmers have an average net worth of over $300,000.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I, II, and III
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of consumers. It [#permalink]
Technext wrote:

Explanation:
----------------------
I. Farm subsidies amount to roughly $20 billion a year in federal payouts and $12 billion more in higher food prices. ---> Correct. This option just looks like a restatement of the premise (the only difference is that they have added numbers instead of words).

II. According to a study by the Department of Agriculture, each $1 of benefits provided to farmers for ethanol production costs consumers and taxpayers $4. ---> Clearly provides support for author's claim. Benefit ($1) provided to the farmers is not going to come from money plant; it will come from the taxpayers. Also, increase in production cost will be reflected in increased food prices, which will affect consumers.

III. The average full-time farmers have an average net worth of over $300,000. ---> Irrelevant. How does it show that the farm policy is penalizing consumers and taxpayers?

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I, II, and III
----------------------

Clearly, option D.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Technext

I do not understand the underlying assumption here. It is not explicit in the first option that the subsidies are being financed by tax. Government can also use sovereign bonds to finance the capital. All I want to bring out is that the whole point of CR is to judge on the basis of provided information and to forget the previous knowledge of subject. Hence, I don't think first option stands. Please correct me.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts