Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 58

Re: CR: Farm policy [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 13:57
I've actually never come across a roman numeral question on a CR question yet until today.

I chose D because statement III is irrelevant. We want something to strengthen the author's claim that consumers are affected in a negative way and through high costs and taxes.

Let's cross of C and E.

Now we have A, B, D.
Statement I and II both make sense and support the author's conclusion so D is the correct answer.

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
Schools: HEC Paris, , Tepper
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Farm policy [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 16:49
Clearly, D is the right answer.

Some people have asked why II results in "millions of dollars".

On the GMAT CR, it helps if you really focus on the main scheme or idea.

This question is actually simple, because the central theme of the question stem (i.e. central assumption of the question stem) is just one:

"Government policy of financial aids to the farmers hurts the consumers financially."

So, if "for each dollar the farmers receive, the consumers need to pay 4 dollars", it is REASONABLE to infer that these 4 dollars accumulate into millions of the taxes these consumers need to pay to assist the farmers.

The reasonability of inference depends on the context. It's similar in everyday conversations. Let's assume that we are talking about the VAT in say, France (VAT = 15%). Then, if I say that "for every euro I spend, the government gets 15 cents.", it is totally reasonable to infer that the French government gets not only my 15 cents but also millions (if not billions) Euro from VAT, others pay.

Hope this helps to clarify the question some of you had.

If you like my post, a kudos is not expected but appreciated

Manager
Manager
Status: A continuous journey of self-improvement is essential for every person -Socrates

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Re: CR: Farm policy [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 19:39
I have gone for D, but I could not understand how option 1 is relevent. Can someone explain the option one?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Business Development
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 161

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Farm policy [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 00:20
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Farm policy [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 04:07
Crazy question. I thought only I made sense. But OA is D.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Farm policy [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 19:18
D for me.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Farm policy [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 09:25
+1 D

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: CR: Farm policy [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 13:45
The issue I'm having with 2 is that the argument doesn't say that the benefit is coming from the government. It just says some arbitrary benifit. Why are we to assume that benefit is afforded by the government? The stimulus doens't tell us to.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 05:29
D is the correct answer.
Statement 3 is out of context for this discussion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 05:47
I think the first statement was pretty clear.
The problem I had was with the second statement:
So, if "for each dollar the farmers receive, the consumers need to pay 4 dollars". I think this strengthens the argument that the consumers are getting penalized by institutions. I mean without going deeper into why if we just use this fact as a part of the argument, it definitely STRENGTHENS the argument. Consumers are paying dollars while farmers are benefiting.

Therefore, 1 and 2 are correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 23

Re: Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 20:23
ritula wrote:
Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of consumers. It increases food prices for middle- and low-income families and costs the taxpayer billions of dollars a year.

Which of the following statements, if true, would provide support for the author’s claims above?

I. Farm subsidies amount to roughly $20 billion a year in federal payouts and $12 billion more in higher food prices.
II. According to a study by the Department of Agriculture, each $1 of benefits provided to farmers for ethanol production costs consumers and taxpayers $4.
III. The average full-time farmers have an average net worth of over $300,000.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I, II, and III

Hi,

I too believe that II option is little ambiguous, since we can't deduce that money involved is in billions.

I will go with (A)

Regards,

My posts: Solving Inequalities, Solving Simultaneous equations, Divisibility Rules

My story: 640 What a blunder!

Vocabulary resource: EdPrep

Facebook page: fb.com/EdPrep

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: HSG '15
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 32

Re: Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 08:28
This post received
KUDOS
Got it wrong. This is a very weird question.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: CR: Farm policy [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 11:52
MrFriendship wrote:
can you please post the source of this question? i don't see anything in statement 2 that supports costing the taxpayer billions of dollars per year.

I have the exact same question.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.29
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 06:43
My attempt at explaining D:

- Identify the type of question: Strengthen
- Most, if not all Strengthen questions require the test taker to strengthen the Conclusion
- Identify the Conclusion: "Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of consumers."
- Therefore, any answer choice that lends support to this conclusion is a Strengthener

I. This is the easiest answer choice - clearly consumers are penalized by higher food prices. This answer provides cold, hard numbers (i.e., $12 bn). YES

II. This is the trickiest answer choice - the test maker tries to throw you off by shifting your focus away from the conclusion and onto the premise. This is why for CR questions, identifying and separating the conclusion and premise (in addition to subsidiary conclusion and counter-premise) is so important. The trick is to not fall into the trap of trying to strengthen the premise (i.e., the second sentence of the stimulus). At the end of the day, you are trying to prove the conclusion that [general] farm policy hurts consumers. Regardless of whether this answer choice pertains to food prices, this answer choice gives readers more reason to believe the conclusion. YES

III. Also pretty easy to get rid of this answer - a farmer's net worth has nothing to do with whether farm policy penalizes consumers. The focus of the conclusion is on consumers, not farmers. NO
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR: Farm policy [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 13:34
deepakdewani wrote:
Quote:
What's the source of this question?

consider the second given statement :

According to a study by the Department of Agriculture, each $1 of benefits provided to farmers for ethanol production costs consumers and taxpayers $4.

How would one deduce a multiple of billion for the costs? this statement only talks about the proportions.
ritula wrote:
OA is D. thanks Technext for the explanation

What's the source of this question?

consider the second given statement :

According to a study by the Department of Agriculture, each $1 of benefits provided to farmers for ethanol production costs consumers and taxpayers $4.

How would one deduce a multiple of billion for the costs? this statement only talks about the proportions.

I second that....the logic behind II being a supporting statement is not convincing.

Guys this question is seriously flawed and I second that

Should be I only

Cheers!
J :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 43

Re: Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2013, 00:21
simple one..... its D.......

ONLY III is irrelevant as it does not affect thae argument.... and its reasoning for increased consumer cost or waste or taxpayers money of both...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 5

Re: Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 16:14
IMO A

Here's another vote for I. It is true for strengthen questions that any claim that supports the main claim works and that any claim that weakens or is neutral does not. In this case, the second claim is neutral. The range of the subsidy could be anywhere from $1 dollar to $100M dollars. Indeed if the subsidy were $100M, then this amount would certainly support the conclusion that the subsidy costs taxpayers millions of dollars. However, what if the tax subsidy was for $100 or even $1? It's not safe to assume the aggregate; you'll get burned on other questions for that. Besides, the GMAT is written so that no "outside" knowledge, industry expertise, is needed. Several study aids have commented on that, including the GMAT-makers themselves. Since the possibilities are wide ranging, only the first supports the main claim.

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Re: Current farm policy is institutionalized penalization of   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2014, 16:14