Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [22]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [8]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Stanford '14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [5]
Schools: Stanford '14
Send PM
Re: Current Student Blogs [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
FROM Bschooladmit20: An Immigrant in America: The Idea of Home

“Keep your head down, and work hard. Don’t attract any attention. You should be grateful to be here.”
Why do we keep quiet? Being an immigrant is a constant battle. It’s time we celebrated our chequered journeys.
I grew up in India, and lived in England for seven years, before moving to California. I helped launch a $1 billion impact investing firm in London. I co-founded a startup that helps immigrants develop their English language skills, in order to better integrate into their community in Palo Alto. I spent the summer at a media incubator that aims to build a more empathetic, inclusive society in San Francisco. But I still might not be able to work in the United States.
Despite the increasingly toxic debate on ‘immigrants stealing jobs’, being allowed to enter the country, to legally work or study, no matter how qualified you are, is harder than you think.Applying for a student visa is a long and expensive process. Your partner is not allowed to work for the duration of your degree, which forces couples into long-distance relationships. But once you get here, you can’t start your own company, even if you’re overqualified, or work for start-ups. Your only option is to apply to large companies. And yet, if you’re not an engineer, it’s hard for them to make the case to sponsor you. Shockingly, companies that provide lip-service to their belief in a global, connected world, like Facebook, won’t even let you apply for a role if you’re an international student, even if you have a degree from Stanford or Harvard.
To make the situation even more ridiculous, even if you do convince a company to hire and sponsor you, you might end up losing thevisa ‘lottery’, that you’re forced to enter. There are countless instances of professionals being forced to leave the country, even if they work at McKinsey and Goldman Sachs, relocate their families to London and Singapore for a year or two, and then move back when their application is successful.
And those are just the professional trade-offs. The personal costs are often so much higher. Adjusting to new cultures takes time and patience. It’s harder to build relationships when you’re shared experiences are limited. I clearly look and sound different. I haven’t watched the same TV shows, I don’t follow the same sports teams- or even the same sports; and I don’t always laugh at the same jokes (damn, I miss dry humor). I only see my family once a year. I’m starting to feel the need to have to justify my presence in this country, as intolerance and hate crimes towards immigrants and minorities continue to rise.
And yet, I’ve had it so easy. I can still go home, if I choose to. I’m not from a war-torn country. I haven’t had to sacrifice my life, or lost family members along the way, crossing borders and seas to be here. I’m not constantly lonely, trapped in a foreign country, where I don’t speak the language. I’m not being exploited, or working in minimum-wage jobs at low hours.
Living abroad comes at a cost. A lot of immigrants are not here by choice. But you should also know this: living in a country shapes your personality, interests and relationships. I’ve had to start over from scratch so many times, that I can barely remember who I used to be, before I left India.
I’m consistently seen as an outsider. I might not be American or English, but I’m not entirely Indian anymore either.The best part about being an expat is that you start to believe anything is possible. You realise there are no rules that cannot be broken; and your friends become your family. I’ve been grateful to have the ability to shape my own life, free of the societal norms and constraints that I might have had to work within.
This is not my home, but it could be.

An Immigrant in America: The Idea of Home was originally published in non disclosure on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM gamalhot: I have learnt….
Here is a list of some of the things I have experienced and learnt in life. It is not that I won’t make similar mistakes again in life, but going over this list again and again makes me more self-aware and keeps pushing me forward on the path of self-realization. I would strongly suggest that everyone should take some time out, reflect on your life and come up with a similar list. You will be amazed how much fun it is to walk down your memory lane.

I have learnt…..Mother is the greatest gift from God. The only time she smiles when you cry is the day you were born. (Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam)

I have learnt…. Having an elder brother and younger sister is priceless in life. You grow up transforming into a leader who has the perfect balance of being competitive, aggressive, gentle and caring.

I have learnt….. Best friends don’t always form the best business partners. Friendship cannot substitute professionalism and meritocracy.

I have learnt…… If you think your life is useless or you have nothing worthwhile to do, go and spend a day with a person who is about to die. You will realize how many unfulfilled dreams you still have to achieve.

I have learnt…… Everyone says that they respect an honest opinion or feedback, but very few can actually digest it.

I have learnt….. Mood is like a two-edged sword. It can either propel you with supersonic speed towards your goal or put you in a never ending downward spiral. Usually it’s the latter.

I have learnt…… Words are the biggest weapons we possess. They should always be soft and tender. You don’t know when you might have to eat them.

I have learnt…..Ignorance is bliss and it is better to under-think than over-think a problem.

I have learnt…… Give a person complete authority with no accountability, and he/she will reveal his/her true character.

I have learnt….. No one is perfect until you fall in love with them.

I have learnt…… Sitting with parents and listening to stories of their struggles has taught me some of the biggest lessons in life that no educational degree has provided me so far.

I have learnt…..While mentoring someone always be patient and have a smile on your face. It can do wonders to their confidence.

I have learnt…..If you think you are wise and educated, sit with a kid and see for how long you can survive answering his/her questions of curiosity.

I have learnt…..Everyone is in a hurry to reach the top of the mountain, but life and happiness is all in the journey. Mountaineers spend years training in pursuit of conquering Everest, but when they reach the top they stay there for hardly 10 minutes.

I have learnt…..This world is a temporary abode. There is nothing in here that is worth our tears.

I have learnt…..If a baby can sleep peacefully on your shoulder that means you are at peace with yourself.

I have learnt…… Life will never give you a test that you are incapable of winning.

I have learnt…..Not time, but inner peace and love heals all wounds. Time just helps you to temporarily forget them.

I have learnt…..If you yourself cannot be proud of your own achievements, no one will respect you.

I have learnt… When someone comes to me and says, “Thanks for your help”, it makes my day.

I have learnt…..To let go of bitterness or resentment is tough, but if you can do it, you have won one of the biggest battles of your life.

I have learnt…..When you are in love, it shows. If you have to put effort, then it is not worth it.

I have learnt….. Sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand. (Andy Rooney)

Please let me know if you found this article interesting. If you have any success stories or amazing experiences to share, please do so in comment box below. Thanks!!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: Understanding and accepting failures

Today, I participated in the Business Technology Group competition sponsored by Microsoft. With a case released just two days ago, our group was under intense time schedule to complete the analysis on top of quizzes, and assignments along with us. I also had to skip on the semi-formal held by Rotman which I heard was extremely fun.

Getting to the point, unfortunately, we couldn’t advance to the finalist round. I was disappointed at first as I thought I had given my best shot. However, after watching the four finalist teams’ presentations, I had accepted that they were better and various observations could be made.

1. Information supported with data

The points were delivered with the data that backed them up.

2. Easy to follow along

The points were organized in a way that both data and the points were presented in harmony.

3. Clear strategic framework

Step-by-step, presentations were clearly presented and could be followed along starting from market synopsis, problem statement, proofs and forecasts.

While we all try to play our best game according to the game theory, the first step to improving yourself as a better person is to accept that your method didn’t work, and try to absorb and learn from others and what could have been done different, what could I have done that others could not do. Then such observations should be re-experimented with an improvised method.

One of my favorite manga (comics) of all-time is Slamdunk, a story about a teenager going through the self-development and learn more about his potential through basketball. After a basketball game which he accidentally makes a mistake that resulted a loss of the team game, he was devastated. Then, one of his team players, who is a basketball elite, approaches him and says the following in an arrogant, but undeniable way: ” You think too highly of you that your mistakes mattered a lot. However, You did way better than what we all expected. The possibility of you making mistakes was already accounted for.”

Speaking in terms of regression to the mean, there could be ups and downs that come into teamwork including possible great work, or a mistake that influences the outcome of a team. but ultimately, it all comes down to trusting each other and playing the best game with the limited amount of resources we all have. Even luck, positiveness, and downsides are parts of the mean average of a team’s total strength. Stay humble. Stay consistent. Stay positive. Continue learning. Never stop experimenting and be grateful for what others teach and do for you.

Throughout the presentations by finalists, I was both in a state of discomfort and ambition. Accepting your failure or mistake is a very difficult task, and we sometimes avoid it, pretending it never happened. However, I kept murmuring myself, ‘stay humble. stay modest.’ I was at a place filled with great individuals from various places and I had to face that I must learn from what successful individuals did. It’s just like eating a vegi I hate. I sometimes maybe have wanted to look away, but I must face the outcome, accept, stay strong, and excitedly try to enjoy the learning process.

and I can say I’ve learned a lot.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Ambitiousbusinessguy: My HBS Essay that Worked!
For Harvard, I recycled the premise of my Tuck essay, but not much else.  The content, like all my essays, is all HBS.  It is important to focus on the “what else” of the prompt. Don’t waste their time recounting in more detail facts and circumstances already included in your application and resume.  Although the prompt has changed this year, it is essentially the same question. The only difference is the audience; they would like you to address your future classmates, not the admissions committee.

You’re applying to Harvard Business School. We can see your resume, school transcripts, extra-curricular activities, awards, post-MBA career goals, test scores and what your recommenders have to say about you. What else would you like us to know as we consider your candidacy? (No word limit)

How do I want to be remembered when I die? I answer this every few years with an exercise many would consider morbid, but I find constructive: writing my obituary. Although some things change each time, the theme is consistent. I want a life of lasting impact.

As the first in my family to attend college, I wanted to study a field that would give me opportunities to lead peers and make decisions. I realized business would allow me to make the impact I wished to achieve. Strong academic performance and community service granted me a full scholarship to the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University. At Kelley, I rehearsed my leadership method by joining AIESEC, an international student organization that provides internships all over the world. As Vice President of External Affairs, I raised thousands of dollars in grants and established a new partnership with the Indiana University Honors College. As President, I organized a trip to a Tibetan monastery, increased membership by 300%, and lead our affiliate through adversity after a hostile takeover of our parent, AIESEC US.

Careful thought and self-reflection led me to seek a career with a company that was dramatically improving people’s lives. Despite great internship experiences and job offers in multiple industries, I wanted to work for a company that made products that people needed. ABC offered me this chance. After two roles of increasing responsibility at ABC, I wanted to get closer to the patients whose lives ABC was improving. I moved to support the clinical function of our research and development organization. During my time in this department, we produced positive clinical results for gastric cancer, psoriasis, and diabetes. I am proud that the millions of operating expense savings I implemented in the last two years enabled discovery and development of life-saving and life-enhancing medicines.

In addition to my professional role, I have gained a personal reputation amongst my peers. Other analysts ask me for advice on how to connect with a difficult business partner, how to deliver bad news, and, at times, even personal problems. I am honored that they trust me to deliver advice to make their jobs easier and their lives better. After demonstrating my ability to lead my peers, upper management promoted me two levels to the position of Consultant. From this new position, I now lead a three-person clinical finance team.

My vision of improving lives also guided my community involvement. Despite middle-class upbringings, I have been blessed to travel extensively. This travel has had purpose:  to gain international understanding to further my business influence and to make Indianapolis a global and diverse community. After studying abroad and leading international business trips, I searched for organizations focused on making Indianapolis a diverse and globally recognized city. This search brought me to Indianapolis Sister Cities, specifically Indianapolis Hangzhou Sister City Committee (IHSCC). After six months of volunteering, I was asked to join the executive committee as Chief Operating Officer. In this role, I set the strategic direction of our committee, recruited the current generation of IHSCC leaders, and increased membership by 50%. With our new team, we secured $12,000 in corporate funding, curated an exhibition about Indianapolis attended by 40,000 people in China, and were recognized with several prestigious national and international awards for citizen diplomacy. To Boston and the HBS community, I will bring civic engagement and global consciousness.

My desire to impact the world by improving my community and individual lives will continue to guide the decisions I make. At HBS, I will prepare for increased impact with coursework like Richard Hamermesh’s “Building Life Science Businesses” and field courses, such as, “Innovating in Health Care.” Utilizing the case method, I will develop the general management skills needed for the next stage of my career. I hope to continue to develop my ability to lead my peers in student clubs like the Entrepreneurship and Health Care clubs.

After HBS, I will return to ABC to pursue leadership positions, which require broad management skills and strategic thought. Longer term, I aspire to start my own healthcare company and continue to help my community through philanthropy and activism, as the ABC family has in Indianapolis. When I die, I want an obituary about how my HBS experience empowered me to run businesses that created jobs and made products that bettered people’s lives.

Stay tuned for my HBS Post-Interview Reflection! 

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
FROM Ambitiousbusinessguy: My Harvard Post-Interview Reflection (PIR)
Harvard asks you to write a post interview reflection (PIR) within 24 hours of your interview. Many have said that there is little you can do in this reflection to get in, but there are a few things you can do to eliminate yourself.  Here are my tips:

• Follow instructions.  Make sure you have a plan to complete the PIR and have access to internet.  Do not delete your upload once complete (even though the system will allow you too).
  • Allow time to reflect. Although it will be very helpful to jot down some details about your interview immediately following the interview, that is not the time to write the PIR.
  • Complete other visit activities around interview day. Attending class visits and other interview day activities will not only be beneficial for you, but will also benefit your PIR by providing additional data points that you can use while writing.
  • DO NOT WRITE IT AHEAD OF TIME!  They will smell it from a mile away and they have specifically asked you not to do so. In addition, this is intended to be a reflective exercise.
You’ve just had your HBS interview.  How well did we get to know you?  

Twenty-four hours is not a lot of time.  My wife and I meet in sixth grade.  Seven years later, we started dating and four years after that we got married.  I spent five years building my family and developing myself and earning three promotions at my company. It has taken twenty-eight years for me to become the man I am today. However, a lot can happen in twenty-four hours. As I reflect on my interview, I cannot help but to also think about my entire day at HBS.

Jane, when you began by telling me that you were impressed by my application, I could not believe it.  “Impressed by me? I am just a kid from Indiana. How could someone from Harvard Business School be impressed with me?”

Although I may have not nailed every question, I believe you did get to know me in my interview. However, you know the version of me that existed twenty-four hours ago. Since that interview, I met war heroes and Ivy-league scholars that could be my future classmates, I learned about the seemingly endless amounts of opportunities at the CPD, and I toured the world-class facilities at iLab. I am starting to really get it:  I can see what I can do with an HBS MBA. Twenty-four hours ago I did not believe I was special, but if you are still considering me to join you at this amazing place, I must be.

Jane, you asked me if there was anything else I wanted to share at the end of my interview. I attempted to convey how I was passionate about using business to have a positive impact on people’s lives. In the last twenty-four hours, I have realized how big that impact could be.  Twenty years from now my company will have a different CEO and in the next twenty years dozens (maybe hundreds) of entrepreneurs will start biotechs that will disrupt healthcare and save lives. Twenty-four hours ago I would have asked, “Why should that be me?”  Now I am asking, “Why not me?”

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.48
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM j2insead: A Perfect Day!
This would be short, really short…

21st September 2015 would always remain a memorable day in my life.

Still short of words at this moment. I got the perfect birthday gift, as my heart desires nothing more at this moment.

I was privileged to be awarded the INSEAD Olam International MBA Scholarships for Change Catalysts in African Markets.

Coincidence did not play out here. Receiving a full tuition scholarship on your birthday is more than anyone could ever ask for.

Grateful to God for this awesome opportunity. Still in celebration mode…

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM The Oxford Comma: Deep Work

Cal Newport is a computer science professor at GeorgeTown University, author, blogger and is obsessed with productivity. He writes on this topic in his popular Study Hacks blog. I was introduced to him and his work after I read an article of his in the New York Times where he argued that passion was overrated in picking a career and that it would follow in time if you focus on achieving mastery.

Deep Work is his latest book and is a summarisation of many blog posts on the importance of focus in the workplace. For the uninitiated, deep work refers to activities performed in a distraction-free state that push your cognitive capabilities to their limit. By contrast, shallow work refers to tasks that can easily performed while distracted i.e email, non essential meetings etc. So why then do so many spend so much time on shallow work? The answers are some of my favourite lines in the book – a) Deep work gets you promoted while shallow work keeps you from getting fired and b) Busyness is often used incorrectly as a proxy for productivity. The second one will sting those of us (myself included) who take pride in spending the day attending meeting and always being available through chat, email and phone throughout the day.

Part 1 of the book focusses on why deep work is valuable while the second part is spent on detailing ways to get more productive. As with the last book I blogged about, this is not a book to read and move on. It’s essential to put it into practice if you agree with it and hope to benefit from it. Cal argues that focus is a skill to be practised and will not come naturally to many of us who are used to multitask endlessly. Some tips for focussing on deep work are to avoid social media and to avoid working after you leave the workplace. The most intriguing one to me was the idea of embracing boredom. Cal argues that the constant switching of tasks at the slightest hint of boredom teaches your mind to never tolerate boredom. Hence he argues against checking your smartphone when you are in a queue at a store or eating alone, instead he advises that you learn to be bored. He is also a big fan of structure and recommends planning your workday in hourly blocks.

In the past I have written about the trend especially in software firms towards open offices. Cal abhors this trend and cites research that shows that such environments made it hard to focus. This puts him at odds with those such as Steven Johnson, Facebook, Google who argue that multitasking and open offices encourage innovation. Cal suggests a compromise using a hub and spoke model for a perfect workplace. While offices need to have spaces where people regularly meet and exchange ideas (hubs), they also need private areas (spokes) to focus.

One of the critiques of the book is that the advice is much more applicable to those in academia than to those in management positions. Nevertheless, there is a lot of good advice in there and I plan to try out a few things that the book recommends and I will report back on my progress in a few months from now.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [9]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos