Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 16:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cut-paper design, a popular pastime of Colonial women,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Cut-paper design, a popular pastime of Colonial women, [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 03:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (01:46) correct 28% (00:45) wrong based on 49 sessions
Cut-paper design, a popular pastime of Colonial women, became an art form in the hands of Abigail Lefferts Lloyd, a Revolutionary War heroine.
(A) design, a popular pastime of colonial women, became an art form in the hands of
(B) design, a popular Colonial women’s pastime, and it became an art form in the hands of
(C) design was a popular pastime for Colonial women, then it became an art form in the hands of
(D) design is a popular pastime of Colonial women that has become an art form by
(E) design, the popular Colonial pastime, became an art form for

The OA is given as A but shouldn't the ans be C as the correct idiom is 'pastime for'
Kindly explain

Thx
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by fameatop on 15 Sep 2013, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
OA added
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 21

Re: SC doubt [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 04:52
shrutisingh wrote:
Cut-paper design, a popular pastime of Colonial women, became an art form in the hands of Abigail Lefferts Lloyd, a Revolutionary War heroine.
(A) design, a popular pastime of colonial women, became an art form in the hands of
(B) design, a popular Colonial women’s pastime, and it became an art form in the hands of
(C) design was a popular pastime for Colonial women, then it became an art form in the hands of
(D) design is a popular pastime of Colonial women that has become an art form by

The OA is given as A but shouldn't the ans be C as the correct idiom is 'pastime for'
Kindly explain

Thx

'A' is correct.

The construction of 'C' & clause with 'then' implies that the two clauses has some connection. Clause 'a popular pastime....' is just to give more information about 'cut paper design'.

Besides, 'pastime of' is also correct. Actually, I think 'pastime for' is wrong. Though, I am not sure about the later part.

I am ready to fall, but not before I fly.

1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 475 [1] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC doubt [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 10:29
This post received
KUDOS
C is incorrect as it is a run-on sentence.

(A) Correct.
(B) "a popular Colonial women’s pastime" is not better than "a popular pastime of Colonial women".
(C) Run-on.
(D) "That" is wrong.
(E) "the" is wrong.

A remains.

shrutisingh wrote:

Kindly explain

Thx

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC doubt [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 17:18
GT,
I agree with the answer choice, but is C a run-on sentence? it ("then it became an art form in the hands of") clearly depends on some thing right? I think it can't stand alone by itself.

explain a bit for me ...

GMAT TIGER wrote:

(A) Correct.
(B) "a popular Colonial women’s pastime" is not better than "a popular pastime of Colonial women".
(C) Run-on.
(D) "That" is wrong.
(E) "the" is wrong.

A remains.

shrutisingh wrote:

Kindly explain

Thx
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 226 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC doubt [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 17:51
This post received
KUDOS
ugimba wrote:
GT,
I agree with the answer choice, but is C a run-on sentence? it ("then it became an art form in the hands of") clearly depends on some thing right? I think it can't stand alone by itself.

explain a bit for me ...

I am not sure whether it is a run-on, if C is without the 'then' , then it is sure run-on. But C actually changes the meaning, cut paper design was a popular pastime before and it became an art now, and it is no more a popular pastime now, but the actual meaning is still it was a popular pasttime for other colonial women, but it became an art by Abigail.
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC doubt [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 20:35
crejoc wrote:
ugimba wrote:
GT,

explain a bit for me ...

I am not sure whether it is a run-on, if C is without the 'then' , then it is sure run-on. But C actually changes the meaning, cut paper design was a popular pastime before and it became an art now, and it is no more a popular pastime now, but the actual meaning is still it was a popular pasttime for other colonial women, but it became an art by Abigail.

Nicely explained crejoc! [+1 for you]
I too think that C is not run-on sentence, but it changes the meaning and hence incorrect.
pasttime of woman ==> later became an art (implies no longer a pasttime of woman)
This is not intended in the original sentence. 'pasttime of woman' (non-restrictive)

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

3 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 475 [3] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC doubt [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 20:41
This post received
KUDOS
"Then" is not a co-ordinating conjunction. Two independent clauses can only joined by co-ordinating conjunction not by "then".

coordinating conjunctions are: and, so, yet, but, or, nor, for, since, as etc...

ugimba wrote:
GT,

explain a bit for me ...

GMAT TIGER wrote:

(A) Correct.
(C) Run-on.
(D) "That" is wrong.
(E) "the" is wrong.

A remains.

shrutisingh wrote:

Kindly explain

Thx

GT

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 475 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC doubt [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 20:43
Read me above on why C is run-on.

Moreover, C is unidiomatic for "for".

crejoc wrote:
ugimba wrote:
GT,

explain a bit for me ...

GT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC doubt [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 21:01
GMAT TIGER wrote:
"Then" is not a co-ordinating conjunction. Two independent clauses can only joined by co-ordinating conjunction not by "then".

coordinating conjunctions are: and, so, yet, but, or, nor, for, since, as etc...

I agree with you gmat tiger, it is the way the sentence written tempted me it is not a run-on, thanks for pointing out. here attaching a link explaining the use of then as a mere conjunction, but not a co-ordinating conjunction( to connect two independent clasuses). scroll down the page to read about the "then".
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/conjunctions.htm

Atlast, C has more errors,
1. it is a run-on
2. it changes meaning
3. it uses pasttime for

+1 kudos for pointing out gmattiger.. thank you..
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC doubt [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 21:10
Thanks GT, Another update in the fundaes :stupid. (+1)

Nice link crejoc!

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC doubt [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 21:15
Agree with A.

Though, a question: "cut paper design"...looks like design is a noun here:)...shouldn't it be designing? How can a "design"(noun) be a pastime.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC doubt [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 08:59
Economist wrote:
Agree with A.

Though, a question: "cut paper design"...looks like design is a noun here:)...shouldn't it be designing? How can a "design"(noun) be a pastime.

which option are you referring to?

I think in options A, B and E 'cut-paper design' is an adverb of activity. and I think it is even correct if u say

cut-paper designing, blah..blah, became ...

comments please.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: SC doubt [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 08:45
Wow. I had to read this one a bunch and finally got A after 2:30 mins.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC doubt [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 07:54
[quote="shrutisingh"]Cut-paper design, a popular pastime of Colonial women, became an art form in the hands of Abigail Lefferts Lloyd, a Revolutionary War heroine.

Kindly explain

The use of "present perfect' is not justified at all because Abigail Lefferts Lloyd is probably no longer alive. C is incorrect because the relative modiefier" that has to be placed right next to the noun it modifies. Also, C is wrong because it creates a confusion as it is not clear whether "it" refers to pastime or design. It is closer to the past time, but should modify design. Get rid of C.

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 65

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC doubt [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 21:36
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pastimes

"Blackmail is one of the great pastimes of family life."

It seems that pastime of is fine.

Anyone has a more concrete knowledge on this?

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Director
Director
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cut-paper design, a popular pastime of Colonial women, [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 09:30
shrutisingh wrote:

Kindly explain

Thx

a. Correct
b. awkward and it has no proper antecedent
c. lacks coma splice, it has no proper antecedent
d. awkward
e. not meaningful awkward.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Re: Cut-paper design, a popular pastime of Colonial women,   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2011, 09:30