Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cynics charge that Major League Baseball lobbied for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 84 [2] , given: 51

Cynics charge that Major League Baseball lobbied for [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 10:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:50) correct 41% (00:58) wrong based on 135 sessions
Cynics charge that Major League Baseball lobbied for stadiums with fewer seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.

A. lobbied for stadiums with fewer seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
B. lobbied for stadiums with less seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
C. lobbied for stadiums that had fewer seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
D. lobbied for stadiums that had less seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
E. lobbied for stadiums that had less seats as a means of reducing supply so they could increase ticket prices.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: cynics charge [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 11:34
seats = countable. fewer > less
Only A and C left.

C : second "that" is nonsensical construction. There are two "that" in the same sentence - hence suspect.

A remains. Btw what is the source?

garimavyas wrote:
Cynics charge that Major League Baseball lobbied for stadiums with fewer seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.

A. lobbied for stadiums with fewer seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
B. lobbied for stadiums with less seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
C. lobbied for stadiums that had fewer seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
D. lobbied for stadiums that had less seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
E. lobbied for stadiums that had less seats as a means of reducing supply so they could increase ticket prices.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 51

Re: cynics charge [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 02:34
fine, (fewer > less) that narrows down the choices. if 'that' is repeated twice should we eliminate C because of awkward construction ?

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: cynics charge [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 05:07
100% elimination.
2 that
2 which
2 it
2 them --------- suspect but do not eliminate
2 they --------- suspect but do not eliminate
2 their --------- suspect but do not eliminate

But 2 that -----------> ANNIHILATE !

garimavyas wrote:
fine, (fewer > less) that narrows down the choices. if 'that' is repeated twice should we eliminate C because of awkward construction ?
Director
Director

Reviews Badge
Re: cynics charge [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 05:13
Sorry. gmat Critical Reasoning tell me, I cannot generalize anything 100%. So there has to be an exception to this "2 that" -

The exception is "that" parallelism. -----> here 'that' is a gift from benign Gods. :-D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

Re: cynics charge [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 05:15
Also 2nd 'that' unnecessarily brings in the 'tense' too. IMO

Conquer the Hell and make it Haven. Brain is your hell and Success is your haven!

"Kudos" is significant part of GMAT prep. If you like it, you just click it :)

Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: cynics charge [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 08:10
IMO C is wrong because it uses past perfect tense in the second clause as if stadium increased seats later on.

Thus, A is correct.
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1700 [4] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: cynics charge [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
C is wrong because it changes the meaning of the text. C means to imply that the MLB lobbied for stadiums that had (already possessed) fewer seats, while the text implies that MLB lobbied for new stadiums to be built with fewer seats. Why would a body lobby for something already existing? So C is wrong for twisting the original intent.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 109

Re: cynics charge [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 12:43
+1 A

Seats: countable noun. It requires "fewer".
"THAT HAD": Wrong tense. The original sentence doesn't mention that the studiums don't have fewer stadiums in the present.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Cynics charge that Major League Baseball lobbied for [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 01:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 209

Re: Cynics charge that Major League Baseball lobbied for [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 03:59
First check the speech of the sentence, it is in indirect speech. Authors is stating what Cynics claim.

Charge is in present tense, thus we can restate what Cynics say in the same tense.. no need to use past perfect.

Second split is fever vs less. Seats are countable thus we must use fewer. Eliminate B,D and E.

Between A and C. I rejected C because of reason explained above. It is using past perfect, but in original sentence no such tense sequence is presented.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: Cynics charge that Major League Baseball lobbied for   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2014, 03:59