Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cynics charge that Major League Baseball lobbied for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 12

Cynics charge that Major League Baseball lobbied for [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 14:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

86% (01:19) correct 14% (01:46) wrong based on 5 sessions
Cynics charge that Major League Baseball lobbied for stadiums with fewer seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.

lobbied for stadiums with fewer seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
lobbied for stadiums with less seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
lobbied for stadiums that had been built with fewer seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
lobbied for stadiums that had less seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
lobbied for stadiums that had less seats as a means of reducing supply so they could increase ticket prices
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 99

Re: Major League Baseball [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 16:33
bipolarbear wrote:
Cynics charge that Major League Baseball lobbied for stadiums with fewer seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.

lobbied for stadiums with fewer seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
lobbied for stadiums with less seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
lobbied for stadiums that had been built with fewer seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
lobbied for stadiums that had less seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices.
lobbied for stadiums that had less seats as a means of reducing supply so they could increase ticket prices

I pick A ...
I think 'less seats' is wrong so B, D, and E are gone.
C -- not necessary to use past perfect ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 13

Re: Major League Baseball [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 15:36
generally fewer is used for countable nouns and less for uncountable. IMO A.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 498 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Major League Baseball [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 13:48
my only concern with "A" is that "fewer" shows the degree. I mean it can be used with a "than"

this stadium has fewer seats than the other one.

Can we use the word "fewer" without the word "than"?

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 12

Re: Major League Baseball [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 20:27

A.) Correct usage of fewer ( seats are countable).
b.) Incorrect use of less.
c.) Implies that stadiums were built to reduce supply and increase ticket prices. Hence, incorrect..
d.) same as b.
e.) same as b..
3 KUDOS received
Suspended Member
Schools: ISB Hyderabad
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 52 [3] , given: 0

Re: Major League Baseball [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 00:06
This post received
KUDOS
A :barbarian A
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Major League Baseball [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 19:20
bipolarbear wrote:

Was torn between A and C. Chose A.
On C, is the use of past perfect tense correct given this is an earlier action of "lobbied?"

What's the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 32

Re: Major League Baseball [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2009, 21:36
According to Brutual SC's, OA is A.

But the option for 'C' in Brutual SC's is:

"lobbied for stadiums that had fewer seats to reduce supply and increase ticket prices."

Hence 'C' appears to be a better choice.
Re: Major League Baseball   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2009, 21:36