Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 05:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cyplatin, an effective anticancer drug, can be easily

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

Cyplatin, an effective anticancer drug, can be easily [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 10:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:54) wrong based on 4 sessions
7. Cyplatin, an effective anticancer drug, can be easily obtained from leutrozole, a chemical agent which is, in fact, the only cheap source of cyplatin. A shortage of leutrozole has been a significant obstacle to a mass production of cyplatin. However, it has recently been established that leutrozole is contained in abundance in the fat of blue dolphins, the finding that many biologists believe will spell the end of the species. Although at present there are vast populations of blue dolphins around the globe, the extensive hunt for these mammals will definitely wipe them out. Yet, the head of the Cancer Research Foundation claims that special equipment will allow scientists to extract dolphin’s fat without killing the animal. It is therefore unlikely that the existence of blue dolphins will be endangered.

The highlighted portions of the text perform which functions in the argument?

A: the first is a fact supporting the author’s prediction while the second acknowledges a deviation from the author’s main position
B: the first is a fact that casts doubt on the author’s conclusion while the second is the main evidence in the author’s argument
C: the first is an evidence in the author’s argument while the second is a prediction that follows from this evidence
D: the first is an acknowledgement of the opposite view; the second is a fact that speaks in favour of the author’s own conclusion
E: the first is a consideration that weighs against the author’s prediction; the second is a fact that establishes the truth of this prediction
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 10:42
I will go with B
A. The author does not predict anything.
C. Same as above.
D. There is no oppositve view.
E. The second is not a fact, the head of the Cancer Research has said that special equipment will allow scientists to extract dolphin’s fat without killing the animal.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 11:27
I am not sure about my answer, but I will choose C

Here is why

A: the first is a fact supporting the author’s prediction while the second acknowledges a deviation from the author’s main position
>WRONG. The author is not making a prediction

B: the first is a fact that casts doubt on the author’s conclusion while the second is the main evidence in the author’s argument
> MAYBE, but I will give skip this choice. The author hasn't stated his conclusion, therefore, B does not cast doubt on the conclusion. I am doubtful because I might have missed the author's conclusion.

C: the first is an evidence in the author’s argument while the second is a prediction that follows from this evidence
> PERHAPS. The first bolded statement states a fact and not really a piece of evidence, but the second bolded statement is definitely on target.

D: the first is an acknowledgement of the opposite view; the second is a fact that speaks in favour of the author’s own conclusion
> WRONG. The first part is not an acknowledgement at all.

E: the first is a consideration that weighs against the author’s prediction; the second is a fact that establishes the truth of this prediction
> WRONG. The author is not predicting anything, he merely states what biologist's fear. Also the second bolded part is wrong.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 16:00
C for me....
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 17:21
B is the best answer.

In this passage the author argues that “it is unlikely that the existence of blue dolphins will be endangeredâ€

Last edited by Praetorian on 22 Jul 2005, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 17:34
hmmm...interesting...

Praet....thanks for the BF questions...we were missing those....good stuff....

[quote="Praetorian"]B is the best answer.

In this passage the author argues that “it is unlikely that the existence of blue dolphins will be endangeredâ€
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: Bold Face CR - #7 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 17:39
C, however D is also little tempting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Bold Face CR - #7 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 20:47
Praetorian wrote:
7. Cyplatin, an effective anticancer drug, can be easily obtained from leutrozole, a chemical agent which is, in fact, the only cheap source of cyplatin. A shortage of leutrozole has been a significant obstacle to a mass production of cyplatin. However, it has recently been established that leutrozole is contained in abundance in the fat of blue dolphins, the finding that many biologists believe will spell the end of the species. Although at present there are vast populations of blue dolphins around the globe, the extensive hunt for these mammals will definitely wipe them out. Yet, the head of the Cancer Research Foundation claims that special equipment will allow scientists to extract dolphin’s fat without killing the animal. It is therefore unlikely that the existence of blue dolphins will be endangered.

The highlighted portions of the text perform which functions in the argument?

Picked A.

The author's main argument is "the extensive hunt for these mammals will definitely wipe them out" , however in light of certain findings he alows for a possible situation arising out of this finding - "therefore unlikely that the existence of blue dolphins will be endangered"

The author has two contrasting arguments ? which is his main agrument ? Is my assessment right ?

HMTG.
CEO
CEO

[#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 20:51
I have posted the answer and the explanation above.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2005, 08:47
[quote="Praetorian"]B is the best answer.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2005, 09:00
[quote="rthothad"][quote="Praetorian"]B is the best answer.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2005, 09:14
Praetorian is your answer OA or your own, because in this question the author makes two opposite predictions first he says "the dolphins will be extinct" then he says "they will probably survive".

so A sound like the right answer to me...

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2005, 05:12
ranga41 wrote:
Praetorian is your answer OA or your own, because in this question the author makes two opposite predictions first he says "the dolphins will be extinct" then he says "they will probably survive".

so A sound like the right answer to me...

Ranga, first ask yourself what is the author's main position? (Im sure you already did :wink: ). I will agree if you say it is this:

It is therefore unlikely that the existence of blue dolphins will be endangered.

The second bold face does not deviate from the authors main point (it rather supports his main point), so (A) is off.

It's (B) clearly. I earlier selected (D) without realizing that the second bold face is not a fact, the same reason i eliminated (E)!!!!!!! oh silly me!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2005, 06:38
I picked C initially, but switched to B

Agree with Arsene_Wenger: the second bold face is not a fact, although it was used as evidence to support author's prediction.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Re: Bold Face CR - #7 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 10:53
Praetorian wrote:
I have posted the answer and the explanation above.

I picked A.........but disappointed that it is B.......Felt that 1st was an assumption.......But may be B is true.....

Praetorian is B the OA? Am sorry though Ranga asked it there is no reply.

I am unable to understand the structures ,,please help me .......
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 112

Re: Bold Face CR - #7 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 04:47
B
Re: Bold Face CR - #7   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2010, 04:47