Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 05:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cyplatin, an effective anticancer drug, can be easily

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

Cyplatin, an effective anticancer drug, can be easily [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 10:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:54) wrong based on 4 sessions
7. Cyplatin, an effective anticancer drug, can be easily obtained from leutrozole, a chemical agent which is, in fact, the only cheap source of cyplatin. A shortage of leutrozole has been a significant obstacle to a mass production of cyplatin. However, it has recently been established that leutrozole is contained in abundance in the fat of blue dolphins, the finding that many biologists believe will spell the end of the species. Although at present there are vast populations of blue dolphins around the globe, the extensive hunt for these mammals will definitely wipe them out. Yet, the head of the Cancer Research Foundation claims that special equipment will allow scientists to extract dolphin’s fat without killing the animal. It is therefore unlikely that the existence of blue dolphins will be endangered.

The highlighted portions of the text perform which functions in the argument?

A: the first is a fact supporting the author’s prediction while the second acknowledges a deviation from the author’s main position
B: the first is a fact that casts doubt on the author’s conclusion while the second is the main evidence in the author’s argument
C: the first is an evidence in the author’s argument while the second is a prediction that follows from this evidence
D: the first is an acknowledgement of the opposite view; the second is a fact that speaks in favour of the author’s own conclusion
E: the first is a consideration that weighs against the author’s prediction; the second is a fact that establishes the truth of this prediction
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 870
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 10:42
I will go with B
A. The author does not predict anything.
C. Same as above.
D. There is no oppositve view.
E. The second is not a fact, the head of the Cancer Research has said that special equipment will allow scientists to extract dolphin’s fat without killing the animal.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 355
Location: USA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 11:27
I am not sure about my answer, but I will choose C

Here is why

A: the first is a fact supporting the author’s prediction while the second acknowledges a deviation from the author’s main position
>WRONG. The author is not making a prediction

B: the first is a fact that casts doubt on the author’s conclusion while the second is the main evidence in the author’s argument
> MAYBE, but I will give skip this choice. The author hasn't stated his conclusion, therefore, B does not cast doubt on the conclusion. I am doubtful because I might have missed the author's conclusion.

C: the first is an evidence in the author’s argument while the second is a prediction that follows from this evidence
> PERHAPS. The first bolded statement states a fact and not really a piece of evidence, but the second bolded statement is definitely on target.

D: the first is an acknowledgement of the opposite view; the second is a fact that speaks in favour of the author’s own conclusion
> WRONG. The first part is not an acknowledgement at all.

E: the first is a consideration that weighs against the author’s prediction; the second is a fact that establishes the truth of this prediction
> WRONG. The author is not predicting anything, he merely states what biologist's fear. Also the second bolded part is wrong.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3404
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 16:00
C for me....
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 17:21
B is the best answer.


In this passage the author argues that “it is unlikely that the existence of blue dolphins will be endangeredâ€

Last edited by Praetorian on 22 Jul 2005, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3404
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 17:34
hmmm...interesting...

Praet....thanks for the BF questions...we were missing those....good stuff....



[quote="Praetorian"]B is the best answer.


In this passage the author argues that “it is unlikely that the existence of blue dolphins will be endangeredâ€
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 1735
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: Bold Face CR - #7 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 17:39
C, however D is also little tempting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Apr 2005
Posts: 377
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Bold Face CR - #7 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 20:47
Praetorian wrote:
7. Cyplatin, an effective anticancer drug, can be easily obtained from leutrozole, a chemical agent which is, in fact, the only cheap source of cyplatin. A shortage of leutrozole has been a significant obstacle to a mass production of cyplatin. However, it has recently been established that leutrozole is contained in abundance in the fat of blue dolphins, the finding that many biologists believe will spell the end of the species. Although at present there are vast populations of blue dolphins around the globe, the extensive hunt for these mammals will definitely wipe them out. Yet, the head of the Cancer Research Foundation claims that special equipment will allow scientists to extract dolphin’s fat without killing the animal. It is therefore unlikely that the existence of blue dolphins will be endangered.

The highlighted portions of the text perform which functions in the argument?

A: the first is a fact supporting the author’s prediction while the second acknowledges a deviation from the author’s main position
B: the first is a fact that casts doubt on the author’s conclusion while the second is the main evidence in the author’s argument
C: the first is an evidence in the author’s argument while the second is a prediction that follows from this evidence
D: the first is an acknowledgement of the opposite view; the second is a fact that speaks in favour of the author’s own conclusion
E: the first is a consideration that weighs against the author’s prediction; the second is a fact that establishes the truth of this prediction


Picked A.

The author's main argument is "the extensive hunt for these mammals will definitely wipe them out" , however in light of certain findings he alows for a possible situation arising out of this finding - "therefore unlikely that the existence of blue dolphins will be endangered"

The author has two contrasting arguments ? which is his main agrument ? Is my assessment right ?


HMTG.
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2005, 20:51
I have posted the answer and the explanation above.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 870
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2005, 08:47
[quote="Praetorian"]B is the best answer.


In this passage the author argues that “it is unlikely that the existence of blue dolphins will be endangeredâ€
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2005, 09:00
[quote="rthothad"][quote="Praetorian"]B is the best answer.


In this passage the author argues that “it is unlikely that the existence of blue dolphins will be endangeredâ€
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 486
Location: Chicago
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2005, 09:14
Praetorian is your answer OA or your own, because in this question the author makes two opposite predictions first he says "the dolphins will be extinct" then he says "they will probably survive".

so A sound like the right answer to me...
_________________

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Posts: 561
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2005, 05:12
ranga41 wrote:
Praetorian is your answer OA or your own, because in this question the author makes two opposite predictions first he says "the dolphins will be extinct" then he says "they will probably survive".

so A sound like the right answer to me...


Ranga, first ask yourself what is the author's main position? (Im sure you already did :wink: ). I will agree if you say it is this:

It is therefore unlikely that the existence of blue dolphins will be endangered.

The second bold face does not deviate from the authors main point (it rather supports his main point), so (A) is off.

It's (B) clearly. I earlier selected (D) without realizing that the second bold face is not a fact, the same reason i eliminated (E)!!!!!!! oh silly me!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2005
Posts: 284
Location: CA, USA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2005, 06:38
I picked C initially, but switched to B

Agree with Arsene_Wenger: the second bold face is not a fact, although it was used as evidence to support author's prediction.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2010
Posts: 194
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Re: Bold Face CR - #7 [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 10:53
Praetorian wrote:
I have posted the answer and the explanation above.
.

I picked A.........but disappointed that it is B.......Felt that 1st was an assumption.......But may be B is true.....

Praetorian is B the OA? Am sorry though Ranga asked it there is no reply.

I am unable to understand the structures ,,please help me .......
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 443
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 112

Re: Bold Face CR - #7 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2010, 04:47
B
Re: Bold Face CR - #7   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2010, 04:47
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 This problem shows a diagram but can be just as easily dr908 4 08 Oct 2007, 17:03
effects of drug and alcohol abuse pi10t 6 02 Sep 2007, 20:25
A drug that is highly effective in treating many types of rahuluec 11 22 Oct 2005, 20:07
A drug that is highly effective in treating many types of WinWinMBA 3 29 Apr 2005, 15:46
All people prefer colors that they can distinguish easily to chunjuwu 9 17 Mar 2005, 23:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Cyplatin, an effective anticancer drug, can be easily

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.