Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 03:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

D-day shock.........retake advice please...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 06:59
HI,

I gave my gmat today and was totally shocked by the score.

My gmat score 590 Q49 V 23 .

My scores in practise tests were as follows:-

Gmat Prep1 720 (3 days before the test)
Gmat Prep2 740 (2 days before the test)

Kaplan diagnostic 670 (2 months before the test)
Knewton free online test 750 ( 1month before the test)
Manhattan free online test 680 (1 month before the test)
Princeton 1 : 620 (15 days before the test)
Princeton 2 : 690 (14 days before the test)
Princeton 3: 620 (13 days before the test)
Princeton 4: 690 (12 days before the test)

I have done Official guide 12th edition. Now , the score of D-day shattered me . I am not understanding what to do now.?
I wish to retake the test 2 months hence. However, I do not understand what material to start with as I have already practiced official guide questions. ( Doing them again , I guess I would already know the answers ).

My mind almost went numb while doing verbal. I was not totally myself while doing verbal. Just had the notion of choosing one option and moving ahead. However, in the end I was left struck. Just sat in the room with my head held down.

I plan to retake test 2months from now with focus on verbal. Kindly let me know of any strategies, books / courses that can be taken.

Regards,
Ravi
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Tuck Thread Master
Schools: Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 69

GMAT Tests User
Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 07:12
You already know what to do -

Quote:
I plan to retake test 2months from now with focus on verbal.

So, you should set aside emotions, buy MGMAT SC and CR guides, do them, do MGMAT CATs, redo OG 12th edition and Gmatprep maybe a month from now and retake the exam.

Low score was probably caused by poor stress management, maybe lack of stamina. So there is a good chance you already know all the theoretical stuff out there, you have to work on your stamina and prepare for exam mentally.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 176

Kudos [?]: 901 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 07:21
Check this study-plan-for-verbal-gmat-98342.html

For SC : Mgmat Sc
For CR : Powerscore CR
For RC : Read articles.

You should revise OG12 and OG verbal 2 after completion of above strategy books.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Intern
Intern

Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 20:55
Thanks a lot guys, I will definitely work on your suggestions.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 23:24
Spend an hour everyday going through articles on economist and nytimes.

If you like my post, consider giving me a kudos. THANKS!

Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 03:33
sarathy wrote:
Spend an hour everyday going through articles on economist and nytimes.

This is good advice. It will help you build stamina for those long, boring RC passages. The OG Verbal book hepled me but I wish I had used the MGMAT SC guide. There are a lot of people that think SC is the key to scoring well on verbal. Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 36

Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 12:48
SC - Manhattan Guide SC before doing that do the Brutal SC first even if u get 20 out of 70 wrong or even 10 correct would work(actually this worked for me a bit at least i now have confidence) search on GMATCLUB, beatthe gmat,urch.com,manhattan.com for the explanation of all the 70 answers
because in these 70 question approximately all the concepts are covered.
try to see the approach you followed and also check the approach others followed normally the manahattan gmat staff.after that I think SC won't be a problem and you will love to solve them
CR - Get Powerscore bible for this try to solve the questions topic wise let me know if you want the details but I have divided question for all the topics for OG11 only and then resolve the OG12 questions or OG10 if you want you can also refer 1000CR
RC - Read ,Read, Read and Read as much as you can from any source Newspapers are the best source but you can also go for Fictional Novels or articles you like to read about just as the starters.
While solving question make notice of few things like which topics you love to read about and which you don't once you have an idea you need to read rigorously about topics which you don't like.......!!!

Even if you know the answer of official question try to find out why in the world you rejected the other 4 options.Selecting a right answer is important but knowing the reason why you rejected other 4 options is equally important.

For Quants: Keep on Giving Gmat club tests best source....!!!!

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 19:35
Did you do the essays for your practice? Might want to start including those and study under more realistic conditions as well. I found that that extra hour made quite a difference to the downside for me. So I included the essays in my practice tests to better mimic the real GMAT

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 20:20
yes I have done essays during all practice tests.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 10:08
oops really sad to hear a fall of 130 points almost in Official score..:(
try to focus on Verbal section most now since u were good in Quants...

All the best..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 10:34
Good Books make all the difference. Make sure your gaps are covered and at the same time during the test read the questions well. You may know all the material int he world but if you donot answer what is asked.. all else is useless. patient reading helped me improve
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 10:35
Complete the OG well in advance... sometimes we answer the GMAT prep questions out of memory leading to inflated scores
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 52

Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 15:50
it is sad to see the score. use error logs to pinpoint problem areas. As others said use mgmat books as well. it looks to me an abberation since you had constant mid 600ish scores. definitely try again!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
I had a similar experience in the past. My average scores were around 700 (Manhattan Gmat and Gmat Prep) but I scored 560 in the real test. I changed my whole studying approach. I used to study from Knewton, Kaplan, Manhattan Gmat and SC1000 series. Threw all that away, bought all the materials sold at mba.com and ONLY studied from those (Forgot to mention about 800score's tests). I BELIEVE (dont blame me if not same for you) materials bought elsewhere are confusing, irrelevant and confusing.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 14:07
efet wrote:
I had a similar experience in the past. My average scores were around 700 (Manhattan Gmat and Gmat Prep) but I scored 560 in the real test. I changed my whole studying approach. I used to study from Knewton, Kaplan, Manhattan Gmat and SC1000 series. Threw all that away, bought all the materials sold at mba.com and ONLY studied from those (Forgot to mention about 800score's tests). I BELIEVE (dont blame me if not same for you) materials bought elsewhere are confusing, irrelevant and confusing.

You didn't find Knewton or MGMAT useful?

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 52

Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please... [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 16:06
knewton and mgmat are both very helpful. either one will be great!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Re: D-day shock.........retake advice please...   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2010, 16:06