Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

D-Day Strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: D-Day Strategy [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 07:14
nusmavrik wrote:
I think that what I learnt from my instructors - think critically and calculate less.

E.g lets take an example of these questions -

Q1. For integers x, y, and z, if (3^x) (4^y) (5^z) = 3,276,800,000 and x + y + z = 15, what is the value of xy/z?
(A) undefined
(B) 0
(C) 3
(D) 5
(E) 15

Q2. Find the remainder when 1^{39} +2^{39} + 3^{39}..........12^{39} is divided by 39.
A) 0
B) 1
C) 3
D) 2
E) 12

I don't think the answer is there in 2 mins if you are not thinking critically or you think the raw math can provide you the answer. High scorers rely on their reasoning than the calculations.

I think this is very important.

I'm able to think critically on the verbal section all day long, but seriously struggle with thinking critically quantitatively--my brain just isn't wired this way (quant is my weakness). For instance, I look at the above problems and I'm stumped. So, I think to just do the "raw math"...and obviously my performance is poor.

Please help me, how can I improve? How can I sharpen my critical-quantitative thinking skills?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 104

Re: D-Day Strategy [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 09:21
srivicool wrote:
hey gr888 congrats!!!!!
can you pls tell the difficulty level for RC was same as OG or tougher? Also, is the language of the passages very tough to comprehend...

CRs tough ?? same as last 10% of the OG or tougher?

did you use the strategy GUESS DO GUESS DO DO GUESS DO GUESS.
how many Q's did you guess?

any inputs on quants ? did u guess any question?

thanx in advance....

Thank you Guys.

Level of RC was the same as we get in GMATPrep. But the questions were varying slightly in level of difficulty. It is very important that we get the RC's right because getting them wrong in a line screws up our score.
The language wasn't difficult to comprehend but the ideas were convoluted. Is there an NDA(non-disclosure agreement) with GMAC?

Yes. The CRs were really tough. My 10th question was a bold faced. I got 2 complete the following. I feel such questions are tricky. These are as tricky as the hardest problems on OG. I don't mean to scare you but given the level of stress in the exam probably even the simpler ones seemed difficult. But for a good stretch in verbal I thought I was doing well.

I guessed around 5 questions and pretty intermittently. Most guesses were around CR. Rarely did I need to guess
SC but a few were difficult. So I narrowed it down to a few choices and picked from there. I even picked a choice with "BEING" because I thought GMAT was double bluffing as it obviously knows we all avoid BEING (and also coz I didn't know which one was correct..it was on verb tenses).

Quants were peaceful. I didn't guess even one. I stuck to my time and ran through them peacefully.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 104

Re: D-Day Strategy [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 09:24
lifeisshort wrote:
I don't think the answer is there in 2 mins if you are not thinking critically or you think the raw math can provide you the answer. High scorers rely on their reasoning than the calculations.

I think this is very important.

I'm able to think critically on the verbal section all day long, but seriously struggle with thinking critically quantitatively--my brain just isn't wired this way (quant is my weakness). For instance, I look at the above problems and I'm stumped. So, I think to just do the "raw math"...and obviously my performance is poor.

Please help me, how can I improve? How can I sharpen my critical-quantitative thinking skills?

One way you can improve this skill is to take up problems on a non-timer basis and try and solve them without pen and paper. You struggle for many hours and think through all the possible alternatives just in your head and then arrive at the solution. Only then will you need to use pen to complete the thoughts you had. You get a heck a lot of satisfaction when you crack it and slowly your speed will improve and at the same time you will realize you are able to think critically.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: D-Day Strategy [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 09:33
hemanthp wrote:
srivicool wrote:
hey gr888 congrats!!!!!
can you pls tell the difficulty level for RC was same as OG or tougher? Also, is the language of the passages very tough to comprehend...

CRs tough ?? same as last 10% of the OG or tougher?

did you use the strategy GUESS DO GUESS DO DO GUESS DO GUESS.
how many Q's did you guess?

any inputs on quants ? did u guess any question?

thanx in advance....

Thank you Guys.

Level of RC was the same as we get in GMATPrep. But the questions were varying slightly in level of difficulty. It is very important that we get the RC's right because getting them wrong in a line screws up our score.
The language wasn't difficult to comprehend but the ideas were convoluted. Is there an NDA(non-disclosure agreement) with GMAC?

Yes. The CRs were really tough. My 10th question was a bold faced. I got 2 complete the following. I feel such questions are tricky. These are as tricky as the hardest problems on OG. I don't mean to scare you but given the level of stress in the exam probably even the simpler ones seemed difficult. But for a good stretch in verbal I thought I was doing well.

I guessed around 5 questions and pretty intermittently. Most guesses were around CR. Rarely did I need to guess
SC but a few were difficult. So I narrowed it down to a few choices and picked from there. I even picked a choice with "BEING" because I thought GMAT was double bluffing as it obviously knows we all avoid BEING (and also coz I didn't know which one was correct..it was on verb tenses).

Quants were peaceful. I didn't guess even one. I stuck to my time and ran through them peacefully.

thanks Hemanth for the tips...even i try to guess on CRs. I am planning to take a diagnostic MGMAT tomorrow. Hoping for some improvement... Good luck for your app!!! i would ping you for help...
Re: D-Day Strategy   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2010, 09:33