Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 19:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dallas business owner: which EMBA is a best fit?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Dallas business owner: which EMBA is a best fit? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 04:07
I'm trying to decide which MBA program would be best as a business owner in Dallas. We have an industrial/manufacturing company that has stagnated at around $5m, and I think an MBA would really help me take it to the next level.

I'm obviously not trying to change careers, break into a consulting or IB, or even start up a new venture. Beyond a solid education, possible from any of these schools, I see the MBA alumni network as having potential benefit. For the most part, our business is in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex so I'm not sure if any of the non-Texas programs would have much of an alumni impact through networking. Also, as a company that will probably have increasing contact in China and Mexico, I'm not sure if any of these programs would help through international prestige.

Based on travel requirements, I've limited my list down to the following:

-- UT McCombs ($85k, DFW program, alternating Fri/Sat for 24mo)
-- UT-Dallas ($40k, evening, 2 nights a week for 24-36mo)
-- SMU ($90k, professional, evening, 2 nights a week for 24mo)
-- Duke ($125k, Cross Continent, 6x1-week international trips for 16mo)
-- UNC ($90k, MBA@UNC, online with 2x1-week campus visits for 24mo)
-- Wustl ($95k, emba, once a month for 20mo)
-- Virginia ($120k, emba, once a month for 22mo)
-- Michigan ($125k, emba, once a month for 20mo)

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Dallas business owner: which EMBA is a best fit? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 06:47
I would think SMU is the best choice if the tuition is not an issue for you. UT-Dallas is a great value too. Since you are already local your best bet is to check both out by visiting class and talking with current students.
Intern
Intern

Re: Dallas business owner: which EMBA is a best fit? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 07:50
It seems it comes down to this for me: does SMU's sphere of influence in Dallas/Fort Worth outweigh the benefits of an elite program, such as Darden or Fuqua? And what of a Trans-Elite program like North Carolina?

I guess I'm really trying to discover if there's anything to be gained, as a business owner, of having a more prestigious degree. From a educational point of view UT-Dallas would be acceptable, and much cheaper. I have to admit, though, part of me wants to go to the best program I can for the purpose of massaging my ego and for the experience itself. But is there any long-term benefit that a Duke MBA, for example, would yield over an SMU or UT-Dallas MBA? What doors would be opened by being able to present that credential (perhaps only in conversation) or by being part of that more prestigious alumni network?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Dallas business owner: which EMBA is a best fit? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 09:05
In your circumstances the only reason I would personally consider anything out of state is if one of those programs has a great reputation or specialty within your specific industry. Otherwise, since you want a local network, why not go to a local school?
Intern
Intern

Re: Dallas business owner: which EMBA is a best fit? [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 09:56
I can think of two possible reasons for going with an out-of-state elite MBA, but I don't know how valid they really are:

1. Our industry is growing fast in Southeast Asia and South America, while stagnant in the US. My thinking was that an elite MBA *might* be able to open the door to some opportunities in foreign markets through the alumni network, or less directly, by having an internationally recognized credential.

2. Our industry is subject to quite a bit of merger and acquisition activity of late, and having an elite MBA *might* serve as a parachute in the case of an acquisition.

Again, I'm not sure if these are reasonable, or if I'm just trying to convince myself that I need something I don't.

Are their any MBA programs known for having strength in the industrial chemical industry, broadly speaking?
Re: Dallas business owner: which EMBA is a best fit?   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2011, 09:56