Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [165]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [21]
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [13]
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named [#permalink]
Kudos
is "equation named for him" a correct idiom ? Even for a logical split are we allowed to use incorrect idioms?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]
Re: Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782) derived the famous fluid equation named [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
aniketnd01 wrote:
is "equation named for him" a correct idiom ? Even for a logical split are we allowed to use incorrect idioms?

Dear aniketnd01,
That phrase, "equation named for him," is 100% idiomatically correct. Of course, on the GMAT SC, the right answer has to be grammatically correct, idiomatically correct, logically correct, and rhetorically sound all at once. We can never drop one in favor of the other.

What makes you think that phrase is not a correct idiom?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
[color=#0000ff]...and made a discovery that lead to an early method of measuring blood pressure.

Be careful when writing the past tense of the word lead. It is actually led.

All the best...
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Perchance wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
[color=#0000ff]...and made a discovery that lead to an early method of measuring blood pressure.

Be careful when writing the past tense of the word lead. It is actually led.
All the best...

Dear Perchance,
Many thanks for this astute observation. I corrected this same typo on the original blog, but forgot to correct it here as well ---- I corrected it just now. It's funny: the underlined splits always get far more scrutiny than the non-underlined parts of the sentence, but of course, in the OA, the whole sentence has to be grammatically correct. Thank you for pointing this out, my friend, and best of luck to you!
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,
Doesn't "which" modify "him" rather than "equation"?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 127
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
hi mike,

can u please tell me what's wrong with option C?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
In the 18th century, Daniel cold not have explained some airplane’s feature, the plane itself having been invented in the 20th century by the Wrights brothers.

A. equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift --1. A is out because it is out of scope for the above-stated reason 2. An airplane’s wing’s’ is very weird

B. equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing – A past tense clause and then a present tense clause and then again a past tense clause – and two ands to separate three items—all these things make this choice awful.

C. equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift --1. This is invalid for the same reason as in A. 2. Named it after himself implies that Daniel himself named it after his ownself.

D. equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing – The adverbial modifier, ‘giving an explanation of the generation’ modifies Daniel’ deriving the fluid equation; this is logically incorrect.

E. equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift, --- may be the best since the present tense of the modifier indicates that the reference to the airplane is a thing of present times and that when the modifier when removed still carries the original meaning intact.

Only one doubt though. Is 'named for him', a correct idiom?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [3]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782)
    derived the famous fluid equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift, and
    made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.

airplane’s wing’s generation.........weird

B. equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing
and this principle refers to equation isntead of Bernoulli principle
use of and in modifier phrase appears incorrect
x and y and z structure is also not proper.

C. equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift
forced parallelism is shown here.
Daniel Bernoulli (1700 – 1782)
  • derived the famous fluid equation,
  • named it after himself,
  • explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift and
  • made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.

All these are not different successive events but interrelated. Incorrect choice.

D. equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing...........
he derived equation by
    giving an explanation of wing lift and
    made a discovery
This does not make sense for me.

E. equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift......

Daniel Bernoulli (1700 - 1782)
    derived the famous fluid equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift, and
    made a discovery that led to an early method of measuring blood pressure.

made a discovery correctly refers to Daniel Bernouli
Thanks Mike

Originally posted by Nevernevergiveup on 20 Oct 2015, 03:18.
Last edited by Nevernevergiveup on 22 Oct 2015, 11:00, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 607 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
daagh wrote:
In the 18th century, Daniel cold not have explained some airplane’s feature, the plane itself having been invented in the 20th century by the Wrights brothers.

A. equation named after him, to explain an airplane’s wing’s generation of lift --1. A is out because it is out of scope for the above-stated reason 2. An airplane’s wing’s’ is very weird

B. equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing – A past tense clause and then a present tense clause and then again a past tense clause – and two ands to separate three items—all these things make this choice awful.

C. equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift --1. This is invalid for the same reason as in A. 2. Named it after himself implies that Daniel himself named it after his ownself.

D. equation named for him, giving an explanation of the generation of the lift of an airplane’s wing – The adverbial modifier, ‘giving an explanation of the generation’ modifies Daniel’ deriving the fluid equation; this is logically incorrect.

E. equation named for him, which explains how an airplane’s wing generates lift, --- may be the best since the present tense of the modifier indicates that the reference to the airplane is a thing of present times and that when the modifier when removed still carries the original meaning intact.

Only one doubt though. Is 'named for him', a correct idiom?

Hey daagh, quick questions on E:
1) What does 'Which' modify? I thought it modifies 'Him'
2) Who explains- the equation or the Mr. Daniel?
3) Your explanation for B- "A past tense clause and then a present tense clause.. ". Doesnt it apply here? Derived.. explains ??

Please reconsider :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 607 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
A for me:

1) Eliminating D and E:
Wrong usage 'named for him', i think 'named after him' is better.
D and E are out

2) Eliminating B and C
B. equation named after him, and this principle explains the lift of an airplane’s wing
What does 'this' refer to? There is no 'Principle'.
Tens issue- Derived... Named... Explains

C. equation, named it after himself, explained how an airplane’s wing is generating lift
the parallel construction with commas gives a list of below three items-
i) Derived the equation
ii) Named it
iii) Explained
This indicated that the 'Explanation' was independent of 'Derivation'. This is not true. The explanation was a result of derivation.

A is the best choice.

Please correct me if im wrong.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos