Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 20:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

DARDEN ADMIT, INSEAD JAN 2007 ADMIT, UPDATED

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

DARDEN ADMIT, INSEAD JAN 2007 ADMIT, UPDATED [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2006, 05:27
Hi Guys, I wrote this a couple months ago, when I got accepted to Darden. I also had an application to Jan 2007 Insead, which turned out well and today I received a message from Insead that I am accepted to Fonty Campus.

After a almost 3 years of working on preparation for business schools, after spending numerous hours on samples in this forum, I am glad to announce I received an invitation DARDEN and INSEAD. I also got a FULL ride tuition scholarship at Darden.

I haven't been here for a couple months and got disconnect from many of you. Meanwhile, many things happened but here is some sample profile:

27 years male, GMAT 650 (verbal 90 percentile, math 70 percentile), GPA 3.80 from a small but #1 liberal arts school in the south, KENTUCKY !(ya, don't ask me what did I do there

Ran a company when i was 17-20, success and then bancrupcy & failure > Came to the USA from Europe in '99, lived on streets in NYC, cleaned floors in Walmart, was preparing for undergrad, got full ride at KY school, opened a nonprofit company while a sophomore, ran it for 2 years, sold it to college, got hired by Goldman and then by Morgan Stanley. Left the USA three months ago, got hired by KBC group, and now I am holding an offer from one company from Big 4 (M&A).

Darden
I have worked on this school for three years - I visited the school, loved it and was in touch with alumni as well as one student ambasador.
Applied early round, got a phone interview with Darden (yes, they can do it in some cases).

And now - I have been in touch with Darden people for three years - I asked all possible questions and one of the ambassadors even recommended me when I applied. I was so ready...I knew I coulnd't be dinged ...

WAS PUT ON WAITLIST! mostly because and now - an advice for you - I had two people from my school recommend me , NO professional from Morgan !! Ya, I was stupid.
Don't ever do that ... they say it's ok, but it will hurt your application.

Monday - waitlisted
Tuesday - my colleague & my boss send their references
Wednesday - a well respected US anthropologist who happens to be my best friend sends them his reference
Friday- I received a phone call from Darden announcing me I was taken off the waitlist and accepted !

If you want any advice concerning how to be taken off the waitlist, please message me - I probably used all possible tools : ), that's why they didn't wait for the end of all their rounds (probably)

Now, INSEAD ...
Applied, had my interviews, no questions from the adcom and accepted.

Why didn't I apply to ultra top US schools ? I am not their type and they are not my schools. I was in touch with them, talked the school with them, met with people from HBS, Columbia, etc ... even started their online applications. I knew I had something not many people could offer but still .. .. I decided not to apply.

So thanks for the opportunity to share - And as always, PAUL - THANKS

Cheers, Michal

BTW for those that reached this very END - I am accepting the offer from Darden.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2006, 07:07
Great story! Finally you got what you deserved.

:gl

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 02:22
giddi77 wrote:

Thanks .. I am facing one of the less traditional school "clashes" .. INSEAD or Darden .. and while I am inclining toward Darden, there are aspects that make me think INSEAD ..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 15:12
michalky wrote:
giddi77 wrote:

Thanks .. I am facing one of the less traditional school "clashes" .. INSEAD or Darden .. and while I am inclining toward Darden, there are aspects that make me think INSEAD ..

INSEAD without any doubt unless there are some financial logistics involved that i am not aware of.

INSEAD is a much bigger brand name across the globe versus Darden unless you are only targetting Newyork Market.

INSEAD is the hiring hub of McKenzie for many years, therefore, if you are interested in management consultancy, INSEAD is the best in the world. However, if you are interested in pursuing a career as an investment banker, both darden and INSEAD are not going to help you much, though, Darden has an edge because of its close proximity to NY.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2006, 23:14
haddy74 wrote:
michalky wrote:
giddi77 wrote:

quote]

Hey Haddy,

There shouldn't be any financial logistics involved when you think MBA ..yes, i got a full ride at Darden (80k) but money shouldn't be any issue as you are gonna make it back, very quick.

I am not interested in consulting nor am I interested in a MBA factory -- the characteristics INSEAD seems to possess. Investment banking? Uhm, maybe. Corp world? Maybe. Global company working US/EU - most likely.

I am doing my research quite intensively -- reading journals, diaries, talking to alumni and so far, the biggest reason is "personal feeling" - I just don't get the excitement out of INSEAD when talking with an alumni/current student -- the feeling that makes you think "I WANT IT" -- which is very dissapointing.

So if you take apart the brandname (if I was going for that, I would have applied to HBS etc.), what's so special about INSEAD that makes someone say "YES, I want to have their education" (see I am not saying "Yes, I want to have their brandname on my CV).
:)
Michal
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2006, 15:10
I can totally understand your point. However, an extensive search of different business schools around the globe has revealed to me that the choice among most elite MBA programs will not likely yield a measurable difference in the mastery of technical and analytical skills. These skills are the hallmark of virtually every accredited program.

In contrast, the concurrent mastery of people-management, leadership, and teaming skills is a greater variable in choosing among competing programs. Furthermore, based on feedback that I have received from some of my seniors who are five, ten and more years removed from their MBA studies, I have concluded that the quality and quantity of lasting personal relationships are the ultimate enduring values of an MBA experience. That is what I demand from an MBA program and that is what, I believe, INSEAD will provide you. INSEAD is much more international and diverse as compared to Darden. Again, these are only my views and one does not have to agree with them.
  [#permalink] 29 Jun 2006, 15:10