Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Darden (No $) Vs Kenan-Flagler ($$)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Darden '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE: Sales (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Darden (No $) Vs Kenan-Flagler ($$) [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 16:21
This site has been extremely helpful during my b-school application journey and I'm seeking some input as I've received the results of my applications. In order to provide the best feedback I'll provide some additional info.

Background: US Male, 29, BS from top 100 university, 3.3 GPA, GMAT 730 49Q, 41V, 6 years exp. in healthcare device sales
Career plans: ST: Transition into investment banking, preferably BB. LT: Buyside finance specifically PE
Additional info: I have been in much closer contact with Darden than KF during the application process. Darden alums, current and prospective students, and faculty/staff have been top notch. I visited Darden's grounds for my interview and enjoyed Charlottesville, but have yet to visit Chapel Hill as my interview was via phone. I feel that Chapel Hill should have a similar atmosphere to Charlottesville's since both are in rural settings. I see myself fitting in very well at Darden, but want to give consideration to KF especially since I received a $60K fellowship (about $100k pretax). I'm mostly concerned about career and recruiting opportunities at the two schools. I know once in school a lot will depend on me and not merely a school, but does anyone think that there is a reasonable/noticeable difference between the caliber and opportunities of these two programs?

Thank you in advance for your constructive opinion.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Darden (No $) Vs Kenan-Flagler ($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 00:25
I get the feeling that IB is better at Darden. That $60K scholarship will be a drop in a bucket if you land yourself an IB gig. They're similar schools in location and culture, so I'd give the nod to Darden. I visited both schools, but only ended up applying to Darden, mainly because I viewed there to be a significant difference between a top 15 school and not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.1
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 17

Re: Darden (No $) Vs Kenan-Flagler ($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 10:20
If you're absolutely 110% dead-set on IB, then I'm guessing Darden gives you the best chance. Keep in mind, however, that most people say that getting into IB with no prior experience in it is very, very difficult. If you can see yourself pursuing a different route once you get to school, then I think taking UNC and the money could be a good idea. $60,000 is pretty significant, and while I haven't looked at the job reports for either school, I'm guessing that there are a lot of companies that recruit for the same positions at both. Also, UNC is in a hot-bed area for health care and medical research, which may make your work experience an advantage if you want to stay in the area.

Good luck.
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Darden (No $) Vs Kenan-Flagler ($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 10:55
bdepp wrote:
Keep in mind, however, that most people say that getting into IB with no prior experience in it is very, very difficult.

Really? The bulk of the folks who landed IB internships here at Johnson came from non-IB backgrounds. IB is an industry that needs warm bodies (sorry to be so blunt) and they know the majority of people going to MBA programs are career changers. It's tough, but not because of people's backgrounds, it's the nature of the work and the culture that makes landing an IB internship a grueling process.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.1
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 17

Re: Darden (No $) Vs Kenan-Flagler ($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 10:59
Maybe I'm thinking more of PE and hedge funds than IB in general. But yeah, either way, IB is not necessarily for the faint of heart.

CobraKai wrote:
bdepp wrote:
Keep in mind, however, that most people say that getting into IB with no prior experience in it is very, very difficult.

Really? The bulk of the folks who landed IB internships here at Johnson came from non-IB backgrounds. IB is an industry that needs warm bodies (sorry to be so blunt) and they know the majority of people going to MBA programs are career changers. It's tough, but not because of people's backgrounds, it's the nature of the work and the culture that makes landing an IB internship a grueling process.
Current Student

Premium Member
Re: Darden (No $) Vs Kenan-Flagler ($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 12:00
bdepp wrote:
Maybe I'm thinking more of PE and hedge funds than IB in general.

PE/Hedge fund, yes. Anyone who wants to do PE right out of B-school as a career changer needs a reality check.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Darden (No $) Vs Kenan-Flagler ($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 13:51
Darden is very strong in IB recruiting, and like Cobra said, $60k really is drop in the bucket (your sign on bonus will be around 50k and you get it during second year of school so pay less taxes on it).

UNC is a solid school, but banking recruiting is weak (i think only couple people land BB Ibanking gigs every year, and they mostly work in Charlotte office).

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Darden (No $) Vs Kenan-Flagler ($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 13:54
CobraKai wrote:
bdepp wrote:

Same at Fuqua - every summer associate I talked to did something non-banking pre MBA. While a business background helps in the recruiting process, banks are open to hire engineers/non-traditionals as long as they can demonstrate quant abilities.

PE/HF is a whole different beast, and mostly recruit at Top5 schools and is network driven.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Darden (No $) Vs Kenan-Flagler ($$) [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 22:26
Looking at the employment report of both schools, both programs place a fairly high percentage of grads in top Consulting and I-banking positions. Both schools also list the Consulting and I-banks as "top hiring companies" meaning they hire more than 1 or 2 students each year. Unfortunately they don’t specify exactly how many grads were placed at each company but these guides should give a good idea of where people are working post-mba. Both the schools are good. Yu can choose any one out of the two. Also remember that interview skills are very important. Try to get into contact with an alumnus of these two schools and try to arrange for some mock interviews. The following link might be helpful. http://www.interviewbay.com/
Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden (No $) Vs Kenan-Flagler ($$) [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 13:05
I don't think the difference between the schools is that big
I'd go to KF because the $60k is worth more than the slight gap in rankings imo
Re: Darden (No $) Vs Kenan-Flagler ($$)   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2014, 13:05