Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Can you provide an executive summary of what you wrote. Frankly, it is too long and repetitive to read. BTW, I never made an argument that you don't have the smarts to do well at school. You may or may not do well in school but that doesn't address the point I raised. Moreover, getting in to MIT, Yale or Harvard doesn't prove anything. Even Dubya went to some of these places but can't put together two clear sentences. This also doesn't mean that people from Yale and Harvard aren't really smart. I was referring to your broad comments on engineers and scientists in general. I don't have the time to dig up all your old posts but I have time and again refrained from replying to your comments stereotyping certain professions. How would you feel if I say that people take up English majors because quant makes them poop? Or that lawyers are chronically depressed with the mundane paperwork they push at work? This is far from the fact and most people would agree.

Here are some samples of your dismissive "holier than thou" attitude towards engineers.

for the engineers out there DO NOT wear white socks with a suit
https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... u+engineer

Oh, here's another one that might be especially appropriate because there are so many engineers around here. DO NOT ever wear a short sleeve...
https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... u+engineer
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Calm down you two :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
...Or that lawyers are chronically depressed with the mundane paperwork they push at work? ...

This is off-topic, but there is a lot of truth to that stereotype. :lol: I think that a number of my old classmates were on prescribed anti-depressants when I was in law school. I heard that one guy was so clinically depressed that he had to sit under some special UV lamps during the winter when it was overcast outside.

Everytime I meet with at least two of my lawyer friends, it isn't too long before someone starts complaining.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am about to morph into a broken record...

Some members are assertive and I have no problem with that. But I'd like for all of us to consider that something can be said with absolutely no intent to offend, but it is impossible to expect someone to understand your intent.

The members on this sub-forum certainly come across as smart people. Lets focus on helping each other and -- never lose sight of this -- having a lot of fun along the way. The forum's culture is important for the benefit of the community. I will leave this up to you guys to settle this like gentlemen.

Just to be sure I am clear..

Personal Attacks :no

Thinking twice before you hit "post": Hell :yes

Use the Private Message Function often :yes

Getting Praet to use smilies :no :no

Have fun, guys
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mozart: I am the best! (he hits the table)
A senior composer: Young Mozart, little modest might suit you better. (the senior composer rolls his eyes)

I don't know.. this whole reminds me the a scene from one of my favorite movies. Amadeus
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Actually, I know lots and lots of English majors that chose the major because they are afraid of math. That doesn't surprise me at all. In fact, I would agree that a majority of English majors either dislike or are not capable of handling quantitative work. On the other hand, the English department at UCLA is known to have the best looking girls on campus.

Just driving around the bay area, I have seen lots and lots of engineers wearing short-sleeved button down shirts. There are major Sun and Cisco facilities that I drive by all the time during the day. At lunch time, it is extremely common to see groups of (I will assume engineers) walking to nearby eateries dressed in. . . short sleeved dress shirts. It looks comical, but I guess it's fine within the engineering community. It's NOT fine in most business settings. It's so basic and silly that it needs to be stated outright. Off the top of my head, I don't believe I was the first one to bring this up, I think Econgirl mentioned it first. It looks ridiculous and will torpedo the chances of anyone hoping to pursue a major MBA-type job.

On the subject of white socks with a suit, this question has actually been asked several times on this board. Even after pointing out that it is a major mistake, people have followed up with questions asking what is wrong with it. DON'T ASK ANY MORE. DO NOT WEAR WHITE TUBE SOCKS WITH A SUIT. Also, it stands to mention because you see it around the bay area from time to time, regardless of who you work for, DO NOT WEAR NO SOCKS WITH A SUIT. Engineers seem to think it's fine because Steve Jobs does it, and maybe it is fine if you work for Apple, but in a business setting, then NO.

I know lots and lots of lawyers that complain about their work. I don't know if it's depression, but it's very common, especially for those working in NY. However, NY lawyers are generally miserable because they work directly with NY Ibankers, who are equally miserable. If you want to know truly miserable, try talking to some NY accountants. They are the peons of the financial industry in NY, and are at the beck-and-call of both lawyers and bankers, work almost as hard and make 1/2 to 1/10 as much money. I also know that NY lawyers read, re-read and re-draft 500 page documents on a daily basis. Regardless of how miserable this makes someone, it's really good training for reading and writing skills - such as those used in the case study method. If reading, analyzing and communicating are the skills in question, there is no doubt (to me at least) that training as a lawyer is better than training as an engineer; not a contest really.

So, just to be clear, my observations on engineers are based on what I see every day around the bay area. It doesn't mean that every engineer makes these mistakes, but it does mean that out of every 10 professionals you see making such mistakes, 7 or 8 are engineers (around the bay area at least). I challenge anyone to visit a popular restaurant around any of the major facilities in the area (there are obviously lots). You will see LOTS of people wearing short-sleeve button down shirts, especially if it is warm out. You will also see plenty of people that seem to believe business casual means a combination of high-water pants and white socks. Are these exclusive to engineers? Obviously not, but you definitely WILL NOT see these same sorts of things if you hang around outside of a law firm, or more importantly for our discussion, a consulting firm or investment bank; and you won't see it in the executive boardroom either. People from the former group should know this if they want to move to the latter group.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dude, do you really think that engineers don't have the common sense to dress according to the situation ? Is this some kind of a joke ? Long diatribes don't make arguments more persuasive. They make them long and boring.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2