Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 22:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 16

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 01:11
deviantg wrote:
btgmat wrote:
deviantg wrote:
Anyone going for the meetup in Singapore on 10th Jan ?

Hey,

What is the meetup about? I'd like to go if possible.
Thanks.

I think its for admitted students and alumni.

I have to correct myself: Some events are meant for admitted students. You will see that on the registration form.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 11:00
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Class Visits in January and February
Darden will be offering a limited number of class visits for prospective students in January and February. These class visits are geared towards students who are applying in Round 3 or in future years. Registration is now open for our January dates. You can view our class visit schedule here.

There will be additional dates reserved for Round 2 MBA applicants who are invited for an interview. We ask that if you are a Round 2 applicant, please wait and see if you receive an interview invitation before registering for a class visit. You will have the opportunity to register for a class visit after you schedule your interview.

Class visits are a great way to experience the case method firsthand and to get to know Darden students, faculty and staff. Those who visit a class will also have the option to attend lunch with a student, meet with Financial Aid, Darden faculty, or other staff members of interest, and take a tour of the Darden Grounds.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Manager
Manager

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 07:00
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Summer in Colombia: Interning at a Tech Start-Up
Second Year student Sarah Sanchez spent the previous summer in Colombia interning for the technology start-up Contratan.do, an internet platform that allows businesses to buy and sell services across the globe. In the post below, she reflects on her experience working at the international tech company.

Sarah Sanchez
MBA Class of 2014

“If I were willing to disclose the spreadsheets full of life goals and plans that are probably not unique in a circle of MBA candidates, you’d see “International Internship, Location: Latin America or Singapore?” in the cell for Summer 2013, but somewhere along the way during First Year Darden madness, that goal got lost in the shuffle as I joined the herd of students looking for traditional MBA jobs. So, as my plane flew into Bogota, Colombia, over a combination of endless dilapidated buildings and farmland, I started squirming in my seat, wondering what I’d gotten myself into for the summer.

When I landed, I was greeted by my sprightly future co-worker who had traveled more than an hour by bus to pick me up and make sure I had a place to stay. (Welcome to the glamorous start-up world!) Despite my independent streak, I’m sure glad he was there because he helped me avoid the $12/night hostel I had booked in what turned out to be a very seedy part of town and instead took me to a $25/night motel in a slightly less seedy part of town. Calle 46 and Caracas became my home for about a week as I searched for a place to live during my first week in Colombia.

During that week, I also started my internship with a tech start-up called Contratan.do. Like many early stage start-ups, Contratan.do was being accelerated by an incubator called Wayra, which is backed by Telefónica. We were one of seven start-ups housed in their hip office space on the other side of town. The office was always buzzing, with laughter, FIFA video games, panic, and World Cup qualifiers. On Day 2, visitors from Google brought in one of only three pairs of Google Glass that were in Colombia at the time, and that set the stage for what turned out to be quite a ride.

Each day brought more inspiration from my colleagues, and I built relationships that will last a lifetime. The founders of Contratan.do worked remotely from Mountain

View, Calif. and Charlotte, N.C., while also maintaining full-time post-MBA jobs, so they entrusted me to lead the strategic direction of the company as we executed major changes in our product, its design and the customer acquisition process. Along the way, I became completely intoxicated by the start-up culture and found the courage to overcome my fears and start talking about and executing on my own business ideas. I strongly doubt that I would have had the courage to do this were it not for the incredible young entrepreneurs I worked with every day and the hard working ethic (with a creative twist) that I found to be common among my friends and colleagues in Colombia.

By the end of the summer, my work gained Contratan.do a highly coveted spot in The Next Web’s Start-Up Rally competition in São Paulo, Brazil. Missing the first week of school was worth every moment as I rounded out the summer ensuring that Contratan.do would have exposure to investors throughout Latin America during my pitch on stage. Now that second year is in full swing and I reflect on my summer knowing that I fulfilled one of my dreams, I remind myself that “it’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Programming (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 16

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 19:10
Anyone got interview invites for R2? Any idea when it is expected?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 12:14
I know Darden starts giving out interview invites for round 2 in February, but was curious how you go about scheduling that? How flexible do you have to be? I live in the US so will have to travel to Charlotte. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GPA: 2.32
WE: Corporate Finance (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 7

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 13:48
walkerr21 wrote:
I know Darden starts giving out interview invites for round 2 in February, but was curious how you go about scheduling that? How flexible do you have to be? I live in the US so will have to travel to Charlotte. Thanks!

If you travel to Charlotte, you'll be disappointed...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 13:49
thefinancelady wrote:
walkerr21 wrote:

If you travel to Charlotte, you'll be disappointed...

Ha valid, meant Charlottesville
Manager
Manager

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 10:00
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: BizBasics: Quick Lessons Taught by Darden’s Top-Ranked Faculty
We invite you to watch these short, easy-to-understand business lessons taught by Darden’s top faculty, who are known for their focus on high-engagement teaching and accessibility. These four- to five-minute videos cover a variety of topics ranging from the investing strategies to tax planning to venting in the workplace.

The Rule of 72
Learn about the Rule of 72 — quick calculations for doubling your money, your Twitter followers and other applications.

BizBasics: “The Rule of 72″ with Peter Rodriguez

Eat Well or Sleep Well — Should I Buy Stocks or Bonds?
What is the difference between purchasing stocks or bonds? Professor, Ken Eades makes learning easy with this illustrated video. Learn about long term investing strategies and start your path to financial well-being.

BizBasics: “Eat Well or Sleep Well” (Should I Buy Stocks or Bonds?) with Ken Eades

Taxes: Keeping More Money
Learn three tips to keep more money in your pocket when investing. Professor Mary Margaret Frank explains tax planning for better returns in this edition of BizBasics.

BizBasics: “Taxes: Keeping More Money” with Mary Margaret Frank

Workplace Venting
There is no getting around workplace venting! Learn how to receive help when you have a problem at work and how to give help when someone comes to vent to you.

BizBasics: “Workplace Venting” with Kristin Behfar

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT 3: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 4: 680 Q45 V39
GMAT 5: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.97

Kudos [?]: -8 [0], given: 45

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 07:31
walkerr21 wrote:

You KNOW they don't start invites until February?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 22:46
Here is an interesting post..

any-schools-grade-completely-off-cases-and-projects-166053.html#p1320224

I'm not just reposting it to push my post.. it has some interesting stuff about exams at Darden.

Read my 750 GMAT story and tips

Content and presentation matter more than pleasantness in an interview.

"Iradein hain fauladi - Himmat e har kadam" - With an iron resolve, take each step with courage.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 2.95

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2014, 10:40
I applied for R2 and just got an invite to interview. Didn't realize they were coming out so soon!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2014, 10:45
LowGPAHighHopes wrote:
I applied for R2 and just got an invite to interview. Didn't realize they were coming out so soon!

Ditto! I wasn't expecting any emails until next week at the earliest, but I just got a Darden invite. Very pleasantly surprised!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 58

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2014, 10:59
Got an interview invite just now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2014, 11:00
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: MBA Admissions Dean Video Blog: Update for Waitlisted Applicants
If you applied to Darden’s Full-time MBA and were placed on the waitlist during Round 1, please watch this video blog from Sara Neher, MBA Admissions Dean. She discusses the waitlist review process and steps you can take to improve your candidacy for admission.

MBA Admissions Blog: Message for Waitlisted Applicants at Darden

If you haven’t already, please inform us of your intention to remain on the waitlist on the Waitlist Response Form.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2014, 11:02
Has anyone from India got an interview invite as well?

Please Kudos if you found my post useful

My Debrief: 760-q50-v44-3-months-of-prep-and-advice-162812.html#p1289527

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2014, 11:19
Just FYI for those visiting the campus, flights into Richmond are MUCH cheaper than those into C'ville. A friend of mine who went to UVA suggested flying into Richmond and renting a car for the hour drive as she found it was generally cheaper overall. I don't know if this was brought up earlier in this thread, but something to consider. I'm coming from Boston, so it may be different for other places.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.14
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2014, 11:24
Just received an invite as well! I thought invites wouldn't be sent out until early Feb... I'll take the pleasant surprise though!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2014, 11:31
yuvrajsub wrote:
Has anyone from India got an interview invite as well?

Um... no. Looks like they are sending invites to people who can travel to Charlottesville. Hopefully :cry:

Read my 750 GMAT story and tips

Content and presentation matter more than pleasantness in an interview.

"Iradein hain fauladi - Himmat e har kadam" - With an iron resolve, take each step with courage.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 37

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2014, 12:18
LowGPAHighHopes wrote:

Congrats!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 37

Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2014, 12:19
JasonDelta wrote:
Just received an invite as well! I thought invites wouldn't be sent out until early Feb... I'll take the pleasant surprise though!

Congrats Jason!
Re: Darden (UVA) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2014, 12:19