Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 13:01
LatAmMan wrote:
Yupp, I got it yesterday too. Didn't expect it to cost so much ($100).....meh

Interesting why does it cost money? Do they hire a company such as kroll to conduct the checks? What does the email you got say?

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q V0
GPA: 3.92
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 21

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 13:47
Just submitted- only two to go! One question-- this is the only school I am applying to that does not use the same application software/program and I couldn't find any way to print out/save a PDF of the complete copy of the application. Anyone able to do so?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 31

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 10:41
is everybody dealing with the incorrect word limits in the app system.

Obviously wrote my essays in MS Word and copying and pasting now.

The 150 word essays on the learning team stuff I only get 148 words and for the big essay i get 492 words

anybody?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Darden - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 14

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 10:55
hookemhorns612 wrote:

The 150 word essays on the learning team stuff I only get 148 words and for the big essay i get 492 words

anybody?

Yeah, I dealt with that. I had to modify my responses to fit in Darden's system.

The MBA application process summed up in 20 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-s2tLbqlOc

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 31

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 11:10
huntzman wrote:
hookemhorns612 wrote:

anybody?

Yeah, I dealt with that. I had to modify my responses to fit in Darden's system.

ha - this is bananas! 492 is shorter than any essay of written so far.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q V0
GPA: 3.92
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 21

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 13:20
huntzman wrote:
hookemhorns612 wrote:

anybody?

I also had to do some editing after I copy and pasted what my Word doc counted as 500 and 150 words. They run a tight ship!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 14:24
round 2 submitted G680 GPA 2.2
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 17:39
DC1629 wrote:
huntzman wrote:
hookemhorns612 wrote:

anybody?

I also had to do some editing after I copy and pasted what my Word doc counted as 500 and 150 words. They run a tight ship!

I discovered its words that use apostrophes that mess up the system word count when you do copy/paste from Word. The fix is to paste in whatever you can at first, then CTRL+F all the words with an apstrophe, and delete/rewrite the word in their system, and then paste in the remaining few words you didn't get in there with the first paste. You'll see when you delete the word it frees up 2 word count and then when you rewrite it, it only uses one. Odd quirk in their system that took me a while to figure out.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 17:44
So I'm applying in R2 and I'm wondering how to play the campus visit since I haven't been yet. One option is to go to one of the class visits/campus tours later this month and then presumably do a local interview if invited and if local is an option. Other option is to not visit now and only go to campus if asked for an interview.

My concern is that if I get out there in a few weeks (soonest I could probably get out would be for the 1/30 visit), they may have already taken a look at the application and decided no-go for me and then my visit would be futile. Does anybody know how campus visits play into the process after you've submitted the application? Assuming the further I get from the application submission date the lesser a campus visit would help me.

Thoughts on which strategy would work better or how the visit plays into the admissions process?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Darden - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 14

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 18:39
brosnan6 wrote:
So I'm applying in R2 and I'm wondering how to play the campus visit since I haven't been yet. One option is to go to one of the class visits/campus tours later this month and then presumably do a local interview if invited and if local is an option. Other option is to not visit now and only go to campus if asked for an interview.

My concern is that if I get out there in a few weeks (soonest I could probably get out would be for the 1/30 visit), they may have already taken a look at the application and decided no-go for me and then my visit would be futile. Does anybody know how campus visits play into the process after you've submitted the application? Assuming the further I get from the application submission date the lesser a campus visit would help me.

Thoughts on which strategy would work better or how the visit plays into the admissions process?

I don't officially know the answer to your question, but I can tell you my experience. I had never visited the campus before my interview at Darden. Even during my interview day, my campus visit was much too short as I had to catch a train. In the end, as long as you can answer "Why Darden?" then you'll be fine. (and Darden is excellent at allowing you to research and really get a feel for the school outside of a formal campus visit).

The MBA application process summed up in 20 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-s2tLbqlOc

Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.38
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 14

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 06:42
Well, R2 app submitted for me as well. I'm not really satisfied with my responses, and worry that the essay won't format properly (why no preview PDF, seriously?). After stressing about multiple essays on other apps, it is nice to fret about overly short essays just for a change of pace, I guess...

Best of luck to everybody else still awaiting responses. May the Adcom be merciful.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 13:24
Submitted R2! Now the wait begins....... :roll:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 10

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 20:12
brosnan6 wrote:

Last year, Darden required all students within the United States to interview on Grounds so I am not sure a local interview will be an option, unless this is a change in policy. I personally did not visit Grounds until the day I interviewed so it's not a prerequisite, but that being said visiting beforehand would have helped me write the "why Darden part of my essay." I was fortunate enough that my class visit was before my interview and I could really speak to that.

If you can visit beforehand I would recommend it, but if you have budget constraints or simply can't take off work twice to get down to Charlottesville you should be fine just waiting until your interview.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 09:58
Do we need to report official GMAT and TOEFL scores? Or later only if we are offered admission?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 11:07
adimaniac wrote:
Do we need to report official GMAT and TOEFL scores? Or later only if we are offered admission?

Yes, you have to forward official scores. They'll appear in your checklist when received.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 18:40
krudget wrote:
adimaniac wrote:

Yes, you have to forward official scores. They'll appear in your checklist when received.

From the website: "We do not require official test scores in order to process your application and get it to the committee for review. You may self-report the scores directly into your online application. If offered admission, you will need to send official documents. However, offers of admission are not binding until official scores are received. If discrepancies are found between self-reported and official scores, the offer of admission will be withdrawn."

http://www.darden.virginia.edu/web/MBA/ ... uirements/

#facts
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 22:15
bigcountry wrote:
krudget wrote:
adimaniac wrote:

From the website: "We do not require official test scores in order to process your application and get it to the committee for review. You may self-report the scores directly into your online application. If offered admission, you will need to send official documents. However, offers of admission are not binding until official scores are received. If discrepancies are found between self-reported and official scores, the offer of admission will be withdrawn."

#facts

That's precisely why I am confused. Official website says not required but usually schools do require.
As such, to be on a safer side, I can send the scores but then I am trying to save a few $ after paying a hefty application fee :roll:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 01:10
bigcountry wrote:
krudget wrote:
adimaniac wrote:

#facts

Good call, I got the checklist with Yale and Booth confused with Darden, due to the same app service. My official score report was not in a checklist for Darden, just checked. So I'd assume the official report is unneeded as per the link.

Though hashtag facts was perhaps unneeded :P
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 06:18
krudget wrote:

Good call, I got the checklist with Yale and Booth confused with Darden, due to the same app service. My official score report was not in a checklist for Darden, just checked. So I'd assume the official report is unneeded as per the link.

Though hashtag facts was perhaps unneeded :P

You're right, I didn't need to be a smartass about it, sorry about that. If you don't know about a school, it's better to send in the official report, but the best thing to do is find out :)

Just b/c I'm bored:
5 min research = $35 * 75% (assumed denial rate) saved
$26.25/5min
$315/hour

Pretty high ROI to figure it out for each school, even if you take triple the time. Hopefully, though, none of the scores you submitted will be sunk costs!!! :) Best of luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 06:46
joining the brigade!!! does all 3 ticks on application mean that everything was submitted fine. i wonder why they put my undergrad name below my name. i was expecting my employer's name. are you guys seeing the same thing
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants!   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2013, 06:46