Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 107

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
Bennybob wrote:
Can anybody that's already interviewed provide some insight on the line of questioning to expect? is it still the general "tell me your story" approach this year?

I interviewed on Monday at the Grounds. My interview was with an admissions committee member, though it looked like a lot of other people had student interviewers. I am wondering if there is any methodology behind who they place you with for your interview, but I assume not since they are conducted blind (though if anyone has any other idea about this, I'd be interested to know!)

I had already had two interviews (Fuqua and Tuck) at this point, but I was so nervous for my Darden interview because of the one-question format! I saw the potential for an awkward, run-on monologue, especially since I tend to be pretty chatty.

It was indeed the "tell me about yourself" question*, but it went a lot better, and felt far more conversational, than I had initially expected. As always you need to know the basics: why an MBA, why now, why Darden, career goals, etc. The key differentiator is that Darden wants to know more about your background. I read "The Darden MBA Admissions Interview Guide" by Adam Markus and found it to be really helpful for prepping (BTG wouldn't let me insert the link but it's a blogspot post). I basically used the format he laid out: introduced a few main themes from my application, connected them to a couple of annecdotes about my background, and then went into the standard MBA interview spiel about how those themes related to my career goals and school selection.

The biggest mistake I could forsee someone making in this interview (and as someone who tends towards TMI, it was something I had to remind myself while prepping) is that they'd basically tell their interviewer their life story and then not have enough time to get to the meat of the question. This is a lot easier to avoid when you're thrown specific, pointed questions. Because of that, I spent more time prepping for my Darden interview than the others. In the end, though, I thought I did a pretty good job staying on track and found the interview to be a pretty comfortable experience.

Happy to answer more questions if folks have 'em.

*but there were follow up questions later on--she asked about my interests out of work, what I would contribute to my learning team, and a few others I don't remember--anyone else get these?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 12

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 13:01
This post received
KUDOS
RoyHalladay wrote:
Can any one chime in about the opportunities in healthcare after Darden?

http://www.darden.virginia.edu/web/MBA/Academics/Curriculum-Electives/Areas/Specialty-Areas/

Go there and click on Health Care.

While there aren't many opportunities coursework-wise, the health care club seems fantastic and Philippe Sommer's Bio-Innovation course seems really neat. While it's not as established healthcare-wise as Wharton or Fuqua, and not pushing healthcare as much as up-and-coming Owen or Kenan-Flagler, there are certainly the opportunities at Darden. I've reached out to a bunch of people at Darden regarding this, and they still match people with careers at terrific companies in the health care sector. Some of the folks on that site would be a great start to ask about specifics.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 50

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 04:40
This post received
KUDOS
All the best today people. Anyone knows if scholarships will be announced in the call?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE: Other (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 35

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
Vargen wrote:
Admitted as well! :-D :-D :-D :-D I got the call about an hour ago on my way home from work.

This was exactly what I wanted for christmas.

Congratulations!

TH

Give me +1 Kudos if my post helped!

"Follow your passion. Change the world."

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE: Other (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 35

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 08:42
This post received
KUDOS
Sharpie wrote:
Just got the call!! In latin america!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Congrats Sharpie! You did it.. :)

We are no longer in the same boat my friend.... :cry:

TH

Give me +1 Kudos if my post helped!

"Follow your passion. Change the world."

Last edited by th03 on 18 Dec 2012, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 26

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
Sharpie wrote:
Just got the call!! In latin america!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Well deserved. Congrats Sharpie!

Just smile and ways boys. Smile and wave.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call. In!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 11:39
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call at 1:00pm CST.
International
GMAT 710, GPA 3.65, 5 years in CPG back in Asia before studying in the States from last year.

They're still making calls, hang in there folks!
Good luck to all!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 50

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 21:28
This post received
KUDOS
clomps wrote:
huntzman wrote:

Yes, the adcom member that called me today said it, if anything, would be in the mailed packet

Am I crazy, or did they say over the phone that we'd receive the packet tomorrow (meaning 12/19)?

I understood it will be going out tomorrow
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 151 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 21:47
This post received
KUDOS
dreamchase wrote:
The checklist says the security deposit deadline ($1000) is Feb 28,2013. Most R2 decisions will still be pending by then.

Putting 1000$ down the drain is a regular phenomenon here ? Someone shed some light.

Lol - What I'd say is that you need to hedge your bets and hence look at the $1,000 in that light. If the schools you really want to goto over Darden are in R2, you would have heard from them on an interview in Jan. That will give you some indication. YET, you can never be sure of where you'll end up, which means you will have to put down the $1,000 else risk losing Darden as well.

http://unclearadmit.tumblr.com
Latest Blog Entry:
09-05-13 Its been too long ... Updates & the Tuck Loan

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 01:03
This post received
KUDOS
Sharpie wrote:
dreamchase wrote:
The checklist says the security deposit deadline ($1000) is Feb 28,2013. Most R2 decisions will still be pending by then.

Putting 1000$ down the drain is a regular phenomenon here ? Someone shed some light.

Logic has it most people apply to their most favorite programs in the earliest round, so paying down a deposit for a program you were admitted in R1 and going to a R2 school is hardly a regular phenomenon.

Admitted!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 107

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 06:17
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted! Got the call yesterday morning around 10:45am EST. I'm not usually a night owl, but I was too excited to sleep last night until I got the final letter. What a sweet video they included!

My stats: 24/2 years WE (finance--investment management)/F/Boston/710/3.81 from a top-30 small liberal arts college

A scholarship would be icing on the cake, but as others have said, I didn't get any info about it in my letter in the online portal. I think the adcom member who called mentioned something about scholarships/financial aid being in the official letter, but to be honest, I sort of blanked out after "congratulations!"

I think there's a good chance I'll attend, but it's tough to say until I hear back from other schools (Darden was the first decision I received).

Who will I see in February for Day@Darden??!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
WE: Analyst (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 54

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 00:47
This post received
KUDOS
calvin1984 wrote:
How is the interview invites sent out? Through phone calls or emails?

E-mails :)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 35

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 14:57
This post received
KUDOS
EChopeful12 wrote:
Are they going in alphabetical order or anything like that?

Hard to say. My last name starts with D so that could be the case. I think they'll keep sending out invites for the next few weeks at least, or even up til the deadline. I wouldn't start stressing about it yet.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 8

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 07:41
This post received
KUDOS
On admissions blog they posted that international applicants are expected to receive invitations in early Feb, and this seems like confirmed by posts here, as all those who got invites are in the US.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 132 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 16:52
This post received
KUDOS
alcalde wrote:
My gmat was in the 500s. Schools always say that its a hollistic view but that's not true. In the feedback they clearly said, get atleast a 600 and you'll get a second look. Get a 650+ and you should have a solid chance. I was also recommended to take stats and econ to strengthen my quant side.

Schools are sensitive to the GMAT because it is a statistically reliable predictor of success in business school. A rigorous program like Darden is going to screen people who may end up dropping out or under-performing. You obviously didn't do enough to fix their concern that you could handle the program, specifically the quant side of things.

I won't speak to whether it's fair or not, but I don't think you can claim that they're not holistic because they didn't take you. Talk about a logical fallacy. Universalizing from the particularly is a dangerous game, my friend. Sure, they probably take one or two exceptional candidates with low GMAT scores, but at the end of the day, 99% of us aren't going to slide by without the scores to prove we've got the chops to handle the program. Believing you can get into any top b-school with a GMAT below 600 is foolishness, arrogance, or ignorance (or all three!). I'm not sure if that makes me a total jerk, but that's how I see it.

On the other end of the spectrum you have people with 750+ getting rejected from schools. That in and of itself should show that GMAT isn't everything. Follow the admission person's advice and give the GMAT another go.

This article uses a sports metaphor to explain. Although they're talking about R3, the logic still applies.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 8

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 23:45
This post received
KUDOS
eyjose wrote:

You're a perfect example of the kind of people I do not look forward to meeting during school. Instead of discussing stats, giving examples and maybe making recommendations to me or others who may need it, you come off as a know it all. I recommend you get some feedback on your presentation skills because you will not be well liked at your school if you make judgemental comments such as: "You obviously didn't do enough....Talk about a logical fallacy....Believing you can get into any top b-school with a GMAT below 600 is foolishness, arrogance, or ignorance (or all three!)" I was helping someone by giving my experience. You know, what people do in class at MBA programs. It seems like if someone says something in class that you think is wrong or do not agree with, you will be that dick that tries to put them down. That is all.

Well, I wouldn't be so critical here - although it's only my personal opinion nobody asked for (but hey, we are in a forum, aren't we?).

To improve your GMAT is a perfrect recomendation. The fact that someone wasn't accepted with a low GMAT doesn't imply that it was the only reason, nor it does imply that there is some cut-off score or anything like that.

If the adcom tells you that your profile is great, but the GMAT is the issue - in fact, it doesn't imply that you are an exceptional candidate on all matters, and the low score is the only reason that they turn you down. What it means, is that they see a potential issue in GMAT, but they don't see anything which could mitigate it or add value in some other way. They must have a chance to say - well, this guy has a low GMAT, true, but here is one feature which makes him truly unique in this world, and that's why we must accept him.

Working at Goldman Sachs, having a startup development history, contributing to the students council or working in three countries doesn't give anything unique, they have hundreds of applicants like that each year. If you did it and there is someone else who did, they will chose the person with a high GMAT, all other things being equal.

My personal opinion, but I'd rather have an example like working as a close assistant to Barack Obama, or selling a multimillion dollar business, or let's say heading an iPad marketing team in Apple to make a case with a sub-600 GMAT for a top school.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden '15

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 01:13
This post received
KUDOS
dreamchase wrote:
To all R1 admitted people:
Has everybody started verification process with Re Vera ? I have not initiated the process yet.
I wonder if there is a deadline to the initiation of the process. Intermittently, I feel anxious about it.

I spoke to the Admissions Office, and the verification process is actually due on the deposit deadline of each round (so for Round 1 this is February 28th). Re Vera Services (the company that does the verification) will contact the two individuals that provided recommendations for your application. If they have difficulty getting in touch with them, there is a slight possibility that HR may be contacted. Because Darden and Re Vera Services realize that not every applicant wishes for their business school plans to be known so early in the year, you have the option of putting your employment or entire record on hold with Re Vera until you are ready to inform your company/organization. But again, you will need to start the process with Re Vera on or before the deposit deadline for the round you are in. If you are concerned that your HR department will be contacted earlier than you prefer, you can email Re Vera and ask for a hold. The email contact is darden@reveraservices.com. Hope this helps.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 10:32
This post received
KUDOS
Guys,

Here is the transcript from Wednesday’s chat with Darden's Admission:

Question: Is there any update at this time on domestic Round 2 interview invitations?

Answer: Invitations to interview go out in batches. Some invitations have gone out now. We will continue to extended invitations and interview right up until the decision deadline.

Question: Can you please share information on when interview invitations for candidates in India will be sent?

Answer: I believe invitations will go out shortly to Indian candidates. We do some of those interviews via Skype with Student Admissions Committee or Adcom members and others with alumni in India based on their availability.

Question: If I don’t get an interview invitation, will the online application page mention something like “not selected for interview”?

Answer: In that case, your status would not change until the decision deadline. And, then you would see that you’d been denied. But, heads up, be positive. Hopefully, you’ll receive a “good news” message!

Question: I have scheduled my interview and class visit for next week. Can I attend some of the events offered the day before my interview? Do I have to register for those events?

Answer: Typically there is an opportunity for lunch and a tour from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Candidates generally sign up when they arrive in the Admissions Office.

If I understand your situation, you are wanting to participate the day before you interview. I suggest you e-mail darden@virginia.edu to confirm that we will have lunch and tour that day. If we do, you can just come in and sign up that morning. No need to preschedule — there’s no limit on the number of individuals who can attend.

Hope this reduces some anxiety.

Thanks
Sumeet
www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 07:57
This post received
KUDOS
suecone8 wrote:
I'm sure you guys all already know this, but in case someone doesn't, the format of the Darden interview varies slightly from some of the others (Kellogg, Tuck, etc). Though you will have to cover the usual suspects, what you have done and why, why an MBA, why Darden, why now (though I actually didn't have to cover the last one, but more on that in a minute) the first question is 'So tell me about yourself' and you are expected to talk for 20 minutes or so.

My interviewer (I was there on Friday) told me up front that he wanted me to start with high school unless I had something in childhood I wanted to cover, and to focus on why I made the big decisions I made and what activities I did. He told me, too, that some people come in and talk for only 3 minutes and that that's bad. Moral of the story is, be prepared to cover your life from high school to now with minimal to no prompting for about 20 minutes. They will occasionally break in with a clarifying question. In my interview we never even got to why Darden. I managed to hit a few things about Darden that I wanted to get involved in while we were having a discussion at the end of the interview, but only because they came up in conversation. I think I covered why now and why an MBA in my life story pretty effectively, but I was never asked those things.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck everybody!

Super helpful! Best of luck.
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants!   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2013, 07:57