Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.28
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted!!! I got a call earlier and received a voicemail earlier today, Boston applicant. Best of luck to everyone still waiting
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: UCLA Anderson - Class of 2015
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 22:42
This post received
KUDOS
theK wrote:
Admitted! International applicant in APAC. Received two emails at midnight EDT- One with a link to the congratulatory video, and the other one with a note to log in to check a status update.

Didn't see any mention of scholarship in the admit letter.

Question for those who got admitted in Rd 1 and 2 with scholarship: Was the scholarship mentioned in your admit letter?

Those who are waitlisted: Hang in there guys. Keep adcom updated on any career progression (eg additional responsibilities) and reiterate that Darden is your number one choice if accepted (if it is).

I asked about scholarships over the phone when they called. They said the do not give this info over the phone, we will get a letter from Fin aid office in the mail package of docs which we can expect in 3-5 days.

http://mbablogs.anderson.ucla.edu/mba_s ... kostenova/

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 01:16
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted!!

Got a call yesterday.
Applicant from India.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 14

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 05:26
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to all admitted students!

The scholarship info was in the letter available through the application status page.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.79
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 14

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 05:57
This post received
KUDOS
i have accepted Darden's ding.

fantastic school - good luck to all of you guys and have fun at Darden Days!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 31

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
hailmary620 wrote:
hookemhorns612 wrote:
one man...4 wait lists

actually quite shocked. i was quiet on here today and yesterday b/c I was expecting a ding. Went and gave what I felt was my worst MBA interview of my 5. Will hang on though until one of these schools opens their door.

Do you ask for waitlist in your essays instead of an admit? I am very hopeful that you will turn one of them into an admit (hopefully all four of them). Booth is known to admit lot of people off of WL. Good Luck bud

They actually set up an app for the waitlist just for me. The essays are more along the lines of what are you ST/LT goals and how do they make you a good fit for our waitlist?

Zomba wrote:
hookemhorns612 wrote:
one man...4 wait lists

actually quite shocked. i was quiet on here today and yesterday b/c I was expecting a ding. Went and gave what I felt was my worst MBA interview of my 5. Will hang on though until one of these schools opens their door.

Yeah, hang in there. Hopefully Booth brings some good news on the 28th!

Thanks! I am hoping like crazy I do. Will be the best day of my life if they do!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Darden - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 14

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 13:38
This post received
KUDOS
vikram4689 wrote:
I see many successful re-applicants. I am dinged w/o interview and i am going to apply next year. Some info: my friend at kellogg told me that you have good chances of scholarship but i was hit right on face. :(

1. Any tips on what should i do ?
2. how did you guys make full benefit of feedback opportunity that darden gives to denied applicants. I mean can i clearly ask adcom "why i was not admitted". i don't want to be arrogant but i want some constructive feedback because every other b-school student i tell my story feels i have good chances and that is something that makes me more perplexed in identifying the area i need work on

As you can see in my profile, I was dinged last year but came back as a reapplicant, and was admitted in R1. I think the feedback that Darden offers is incredibly valuable - I was just stunned that I didn't even get an interview from Darden last year, and this was the perfect opportunity to hear straight from those that matter. So for everyone who was dinged, sign up for the feedback! It really helped me.

I made sure to sign up for one of the earliest timeslots so whoever I was going to be speaking to was fresh, since I'm sure there were tons of requests for feedback. The lady I spoke to last year said that she was a member of the adcom, but was not one of the initial readers of my app - all she had during my call was the notes in my file. It sounded like this was on purpose. She started off by telling me that my "GMAT was slightly below the average this year of 715 and our GPA of 3.5" (I was so shocked I wrote this down which is why I still remember). First, it sounded mechanical, like every feedback begins with a rundown of GMAT and GPA, and you shouldn't read too much into it. Second, and this may give waitlisters some hope, there must be a fair amount of "summer melt" going on, since the actual numbers turned out to be lower than this. We discussed a few more points related to my app (lack of showing leadership and impact), but an important takeaway for this board is that she strongly encouraged me to re-apply to Darden in R1. Admittedly I had to read between the lines a bit, but it sounded like applying in R1 is the best way that reapplicants can show interest in Darden, and that waiting until R2 for your reapp is not a good idea.

Hope this helps someone out there for next year!

The MBA application process summed up in 20 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-s2tLbqlOc

1 KUDOS received
Tuck Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 67

Premium Member
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 06:11
This post received
KUDOS
I've declined Darden's offer recently. It was a tough call, as I really got to know Darden really well during the application process and really like the school. Good luck to those still waiting for a decision!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [1] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 15:16
This post received
KUDOS
debayan222 wrote:
Guys,
Was there only one essay last year (re:Matriculating 2013) for Darden...? :o

There was technically only one published essay, but there were some other short answer type questions in the application itself:

I found this a little annoying, because schools typically release essays before the application goes live so you can start drafting. As a result, you can only draft the one essay and then have some other questions come up in the application:

1) What is your short-term career goal and why? (250 words)
2) At Darden, a core part of the academic experience is participation in and contribution to your learning team. In what ways will your teammates say that you add value? (150 words)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Schools: Darden '13 (M)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 12:28

Reception for LGBT applicants by Fuqua and Darden!

Please click on the link for more details:

http://e2.ma/message/srq2f/g6tlch

PHILADELPHIA
Hosts: Jonathan (Fuqua), Molly (Fuqua), Aviva (Darden)
Date/Time: Aug 1, 7-9pm
RSVP: mag61@duke.edu

CHICAGO
Hosts: Steven Tamaroglio (UNC), Nancy (Fuqua), Raelyn (Ross)
Date/Time: Aug 2, 5:30-7:30pm
RSVP: steven_tamaroglio@unc.com

WASHINGTON DC

Hosts: Monica (Fuqua), Brian (Darden)
Date/Time: Aug 6, 5-8pm
RSVP: monica.vanbuskirk@duke.edu

A Student at Darden Graduate School of Business, Class of 2013
Feel Free to Reach Out with any question!

Last edited by Darden2013 on 25 Jul 2012, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 14:29
Hello,
Nice to see the thread. I am planning to apply to Darden as well. I am just a little surprised on the one essay format of its application process.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
If there are any prospective military applicants considering Darden, I wanted to let you know that on Monday, 3 September 2012, we are hosting a Veterans Open House to introduce active military and veteran applicants to the Darden School of Business and its three MBA formats: full-time MBA, MBA for Executives and the Global MBA for Executives.

The day will include:
• Welcome from Admissions representatives
• Distinguished veteran alumnus guest speaker
• Career Development panel
• Financial Aid information session with the UVA Veterans’ Affairs coordinator
• Class visit
• Lunch with Darden Military Association (DMA) members
• Tour of the Grounds
• Student life panel
• Pre-Open House gathering on Sunday, 2 September with members of the DMA

To register for this event, please visit the Darden Admissions homepage and look for the blog entry dated 24 July. I would have simply cut and pasted the link, but GMATClub won’t let me until I have five posts.

Darden: The MBA that Thomas Jefferson wanted you to have.

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Schools: Darden '13 (M)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 18:45
Don't miss out the last Fridays in July Admissions Event this Friday!

visit-darden-this-summer-for-fridays-in-july-135179.html

A Student at Darden Graduate School of Business, Class of 2013
Feel Free to Reach Out with any question!

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 01:05
Round 1 here!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 04:59
Darden2013 wrote:
LN03FZL wrote:
Hello,
Nice to see the thread. I am planning to apply to Darden as well. I am just a little surprised on the one essay format of its application process.

Cheers!

There are two mini-essays at the application as well. About career goals (i.e. your elevator speech) and EC activities if I'm not mistaken. But 150 words each. It might have been changed this year though.

I actually asked this question of the adcom on Monday over at a live BTG chat and she said the application would have short answers again this year, although she didn't confirm that the topics would be the same.
Manager
Manager

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 07:17
Darden2013 wrote:
LN03FZL wrote:
Hello,

Cheers!

There are two mini-essays at the application as well. About career goals (i.e. your elevator speech) and EC activities if I'm not mistaken. But 150 words each. It might have been changed this year though.

Oh Thanks for the info. 150 would be more like a short question-answer thing.

Another query: I heard that Darden places a lot of emphasis on undergrad GPA and undergrad institution's reputation. Is that true? I have a first class degree but I wasn't amongst the toppers. There was no relative ranking in my university. Instead my undergrad uni used to award absolute marks. Any thoughts on this?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 22:27
Are the applications for Fall 2013 available yet? My Symplicity portal that Darden uses for applications doesn't show any applications for 2013 yet, but all of the deadlines and the essay question are published. Should I re-register? Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 22:32
Actually, the web site won't let me re-register with the same e-mail address ^^
Current Student
Schools: Darden '15 (M)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 06:40
nm4787 wrote:
Are the applications for Fall 2013 available yet? My Symplicity portal that Darden uses for applications doesn't show any applications for 2013 yet, but all of the deadlines and the essay question are published. Should I re-register? Thanks!

I am having the same issue, were you able to find a solution?
Manager
Manager

Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 03:44
I heard that Darden places a lot of emphasis on undergrad GPA and undergrad institution's reputation. Is that true? I have a first class degree but I wasn't amongst the toppers. There was no relative ranking in my university. Instead my undergrad uni used to award absolute marks. Any thoughts on this?
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants!   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2012, 03:44