Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 01:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Darden vs. Tuck

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Tuck or Darden?

• 56% [13]
  • 43% [10]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Darden vs. Tuck [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 07:15
Hi everybody,

I am making the choice between Darden and Tuck. The factors are:
- My goal is to work at MBB in the Northeast or West Cost (read: NYC or San Francisco)
- No financial advantage to either school
- I have a consulting background
- I felt a better "fit" at Darden and like Charlottesville better; e.g. I felt more comfortable with the students and area
- I also have a few small personal biases toward Charlottesville
- I have a professional bias toward Tuck's program given my connection to several Tuck mentors

Unfortunately, this is a partially personal decision, so I'm sure reviews will be partially mixed. What I would like to poll the crowd on is are the career benefits of going to Tuck worth the potential personal compromises (to quantify this, I would say I prefer Charlottesville 70% to Hanover 30%)?

Any help would be great!
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 204

Premium Member
Re: Darden vs. Tuck [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 07:59
Caliente22 wrote:
Hi everybody,

- My goal is to work at MBB in the Northeast or West Cost (read: NYC or San Francisco)
- I felt a better "fit" at Darden and like Charlottesville better; e.g. I felt more comfortable with the students and area
- I have a professional bias toward Tuck's program given my connection to several Tuck mentors

Unfortunately, this is a partially personal decision, so I'm sure reviews will be partially mixed. What I would like to poll the crowd on is are the career benefits of going to Tuck worth the potential personal compromises (to quantify this, I would say I prefer Charlottesville 70% to Hanover 30%)?

Any help would be great!

If Darden is a better fit, you should go with them. Tuck is slightly more prestigious, but I doubt that there are any differences in recruiting/academics.

Duke MBA Class of 2016

Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Darden vs. Tuck [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 08:00
Caliente22 wrote:
Hi everybody,

Any help would be great!

First off, congrats on the admits! As I am sure you’re aware, these are both great programs, so you really can’t go wrong.

I voted Tuck, almost entirely for regional purposes (because they are really both fantastic—and similar—programs otherwise). I am also looking to go into consulting after business school, and one of the main reasons I turned down Darden despite my love of Charlottesville and the students I met was the fact that the consulting firms were mainly recruiting for their mid-Atlantic and southern offices.

If you had wanted to do anything else, I would vote Darden due to your preferences. Darden actually places quite well for a variety of careers in both NYC (CPG, marketing, banking) and San Fran (tech). In general, Darden is not a particularly “regional” school, but consulting just tends to be a more regional career path. Tuck will position you better to work in the northeast.

That said, I did meet a few Darden-ites who were able to get into the northeast offices of consulting firms—it just requires a lot more networking on your part.

Let us know what you decide!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Darden vs. Tuck [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 08:10
I voted Darden. Generally the two are considered peer schools. Well maybe Tuck shades it but not enough to make a serious difference. Your reasons for going to Darden are a lot stronger than the ones for Tuck. Tuck seems to be one of those places that you either love or you don't. I think you're better off having a fantastic 2 years in the place you feel you have the best fit.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 309 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Darden vs. Tuck [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 15:56
Caliente22 wrote:
Hi everybody,

Any help would be great!

Whatever you decide, make sure to cancel your deposit at the school you decided against to help out the waitlisters. :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Re: Darden vs. Tuck   [#permalink] 14 May 2013, 15:56