Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution;

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 388 [1] , given: 0

Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 09:04
This post received
KUDOS
Hi papillon86,

"in bed" is what is called a prepositional phrase.

"in" is a preposition.

"bed" is a noun.

Together (preposition + noun) they form a prepositional phrase, which is descriptive.

The object of a verb is the received (a noun) of the action.

Hope that helps!

-Sarai

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 6

Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 09:58
great explanation by SaraiGMAXonline. +1 to you.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 03:23
And how do you know in E that "lay" refers to the past tense of the verb "to lie" and not to the present tense of te verb "to lay".

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 05:02
I ll go with E. Sounds correct and better than the rest!
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 751 [0], given: 11

Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 08:33
Hey Noboru,

Because one verb is transitive (meaning it takes an object), and the other is not. If someone's creativity "lies" in something, do you see how that word isn't taking an object? Taking an object would look like this: "I lay the book on the table." In that sentence, we know we have to transitive verb, to lay, because it's taking an object "the book". But if my genius lies in science, "in science" is just a prepositional phrase modifying the verb, and there is no object. If you use the transitive "to lay", you must have an object (you have to actually lay something somewhere!).

Does that make sense?

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 15:06
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Noboru,

Because one verb is transitive (meaning it takes an object), and the other is not. If someone's creativity "lies" in something, do you see how that word isn't taking an object? Taking an object would look like this: "I lay the book on the table." In that sentence, we know we have to transitive verb, to lay, because it's taking an object "the book". But if my genius lies in science, "in science" is just a prepositional phrase modifying the verb, and there is no object. If you use the transitive "to lay", you must have an object (you have to actually lay something somewhere!).

Does that make sense?

-t

Yes, it does. Many thanks.

Tommy, I could gather all your posts in a book, and it would be the most valuable asset to crack SC.

PS: 5 days to go!

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 7

Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 21:19
Nice one tommy.. liked your insights on the question.. ! :)

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 21:52
It is E ; Doing one by one all 1000 SC
SVP
SVP
Followers: 280

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2014, 05:08
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution;   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2014, 05:08