Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 08:59

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution;

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 02:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

21% (01:45) correct 79% (00:37) wrong based on 65 sessions
233. Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; his tremendous originality lay in the fact that he proposed the idea of natural selection as the means by which evolution worked.
(A) lay in the fact that he proposed the idea
(B) lay in the fact of his proposing the idea
(C) laid in the fact of his proposing the idea
(D) laid in his proposal
(E) lay in his proposal

Consider kudos for good post.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2009, 00:17
duttarupam wrote:
A

Please explain your reasoning? Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2009, 16:32
gmataspirant2009 wrote:
233. Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; his tremendous originality lay in the fact that he proposed the idea of natural selection as the means by which evolution worked.
(D) laid in his proposal
(E) lay in his proposal

Lay is a simple past tense of lie and lay is not used here as a verb. So the usuage of lay, here, is correct as tenses are in simple form.

Laid is the simple past of the verb lay, which means to put. Not correct usuage for this sentence.

"the fact that he proposed the idea" is too wordy. It is quite clear that Darwin's proposal will be the original idea.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2009, 16:51
lay in the fact that .....(doesnt really sound that good...and i dont remember seeing choices that include "in the fact that" being right many times...)

i dont think originality lay in the fact that he did something...but rather in darwin's proposal...going with E...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2009, 17:24
I read that the OA is A, but i tot E is a better choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 07:39
I'm really confused; as per my understanding of the construction of the sentence after "tremendous originality" there should be a verb!
What is the source of this question?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 47

Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2009, 10:59
E it is :-D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2009, 22:11
I definitely go with E

C D – laid is incorrect here – lie lay lain; not lay laid laid
A B – in the fact that … is awkward; E is more concise

1000SC : OA is E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 03:08
gmataspirant2009 wrote:
(D) laid in his proposal
(E) lay in his proposal

IMO A .... as i feel 'in the fact' is needed.

originality lay in the fact
originality lay in his proposal

'm confused. Please explain.

Watss OA ????

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 04:14
Is "lay" correct here because the sentence need to be in past tense? I understand we should choose lie over lay here so "laid" will never be correct anyway.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 03:48
I am totally confused. I picked D, but E seems a better option. Now, if A is OA, what do you learn from this?

If you post the source, most of of the time people can agree on one answer. Please post your sources ...
9 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 325

Kudos [?]: 694 [9] , given: 11

Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 12:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey All,

Tough question here, and it seems that people got more and more confused as they moved forward. A couple quick things. If you're posting on here, it's really helpful to include the underlined portion in the question stem. Otherwise, it's very difficult to look at the question. Secondly, I'd exhort you all to make an effort to fit problem answer choices into patterns/categories (MGMAT has some, but so does every other test prep company and resource). Okay. Let's take this baby apart!

First off, remember that semicolons function in pretty much the same way as periods. We can ignore the first independent clause here and just focus on the second.

PROBLEM: First of all, it's hideous. But now think about the meaning. Did Darwin's originality lay in "the fact that he proposed the idea"? No. It lay in the proposal itself.

PROBLEM: IDIOM with fact. You have to say "The fact that burgers are delicious is immaterial", not "The fact of burgers being delicious is immaterial".

PROBLEM: "Laid" is the past tense of the verb "to lay" (As in "After we lay it down on the table, we'll have to give it a back massage."). "Lay" is the past tense of the verb "to lie" (As in "The truth lies elsewhere today."). This sentence involves the latter (purely based on the definitions of the two words, which ARE different), so we simply use "lay" as the past tense. Annoying, right? Also, this answer choice has the same issues as B.

(D) laid in his proposal
PROBLEM: See C.

(E) lay in his proposal
ANSWER: I think people dislike this because they aren't used to the idiom "proposal of". But it's correct. Sigh. On the plus side, even though I exhort my students not to go with concision unless ALL else fails, concision will lead you to this answer choice (as long as you recognize the difference between "lay" and "laid").

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 13:56
I dont catch the difference bwtween lay and laid...both are past tenses, arent they??
Can anybody explain in more general terms?
Thanks in advance.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 15:06
Answer is A:
lay in the fact that he proposed is better than lay in the fact of his proposing.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 15:29
TommyWallach wrote:
PROBLEM: "Laid" is the past tense of the verb "to lay" (As in "After we lay it down on the table, we'll have to give it a back massage."). "Lay" is the past tense of the verb "to lie" (As in "The truth lies elsewhere today."). This sentence involves the latter (purely based on the definitions of the two words, which ARE different), so we simply use "lay" as the past tense. Annoying, right? Also, this answer choice has the same issues as B.

This explanation of lay-laid lie-lay was extremely helpful for me. Thanks!
BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 76

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 02 May 2010, 07:58
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Tough question here, and it seems that people got more and more confused as they moved forward. A couple quick things. If you're posting on here, it's really helpful to include the underlined portion in the question stem. Otherwise, it's very difficult to look at the question. Secondly, I'd exhort you all to make an effort to fit problem answer choices into patterns/categories (MGMAT has some, but so does every other test prep company and resource). Okay. Let's take this baby apart!

First off, remember that semicolons function in pretty much the same way as periods. We can ignore the first independent clause here and just focus on the second.

PROBLEM: First of all, it's hideous. But now think about the meaning. Did Darwin's originality lay in "the fact that he proposed the idea"? No. It lay in the proposal itself.

PROBLEM: IDIOM with fact. You have to say "The fact that burgers are delicious is immaterial", not "The fact of burgers being delicious is immaterial".

(D) laid in his proposal
PROBLEM: See C.

(E) lay in his proposal
ANSWER: I think people dislike this because they aren't used to the idiom "proposal of". But it's correct. Sigh. On the plus side, even though I exhort my students not to go with concision unless ALL else fails, concision will lead you to this answer choice (as long as you recognize the difference between "lay" and "laid").

Hope that helps!

-t

It helped indeed!
Thanks for participating in this forum. You really help us understand the problems in a clear way.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 02:57
noboru wrote:
I dont catch the difference bwtween lay and laid...both are past tenses, arent they??
Can anybody explain in more general terms?
Thanks in advance.

verbs -> lie and lay can be used in a variety of ways. Depends more upon the intent
Examples:

Present Past Future
lie(means to lie down) he lay on bed he has lain on the bed

lay(to put down)
Please lay the plates David laid the plates David has laid the plates

lie(to speak untruthfully)
don't lie to me He lied to me He has lied to me

Hope it explains.
7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 368 [7] , given: 0

Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 03:25
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys,

A quick note on transitive and intransitive verbs, as these are tested in the SC!

Transitive= the verb takes an object
Ex. The farmer grows trees.

Intransitive= the verb does not take an object.
Ex. The trees grow.

Thus 'grow' can be a transitive OR an intransitive verb.

However, some verbs are only intransitive or only transitive. Most important are lay/lie and raise/rise:

lay (transitive)
The students (subject) lay (verb) the pencils (object) on the desk.
V1: lay-- the students lay the pencils...
V2 (past simple): laid-- the students laid the pencils...
V3: laid-- the students have laid the pencils....

lie (intransitive)
The men lie in bed. (No object)
V1: lie-- The men lie in bed.
V2 (past simple): lay-- The men lay in bed. (That's right, the V2 of 'lie' = V1 of 'lay'!)
V3: lain-- The men have lain in bed.

raise (transitive)
The students raise their hands.
V1: raise-- The students raise their hands.
V2 (past simple): raised-- The students raised their hands.
V3: raised-- The students have raised their hands.

rise (intransitive)
Inflation rates rise. (No object)
V1: rise-- Inflation rates rise.
V2 (past simple): rose-- Inflation rates rose.
V3: risen-- inflation rates have risen.

If that's confusing to anyone, let me know.

Best,
Sarai

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 07:01
Sarai,

Isn't bed the object in the following example you mentioned?

When you said, intransitive verbs don't take objects, you probable meant that one can't use intransitive verbs like
'raise', 'lie', etc in sentences written in passive voice.

For example,

active: The men(subject) lie(verb) in bed(object).
passive: The bed (was/were/is) lie by the men --> Incorrect, because intransitive verb 'lie' can't take object 'bed'

Another example, using intransitive verb 'arrived'

active: Bob(S) arrived(V) on the platform(O).
passive: Platform(O) was arrived(V) by Bob(S) --> Incorrect

Thanks
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution; [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2010, 07:03
Sarai,

Isn't bed the object in the following example you mentioned?

When you said, intransitive verbs don't take objects, you probable meant that one can't use intransitive verbs like
'raise', 'lie', etc in sentences written in passive voice.

For example,

active: The men(subject) lie(verb) in bed(object).
passive: The bed (was/were/is) lie by the men --> Incorrect, because intransitive verb 'lie' can't take object 'bed'

Another example, using intransitive verb 'arrived'

active: Bob(S) arrived(V) on the platform(O).
passive: Platform(O) was arrived(V) by Bob(S) --> Incorrect

Thanks
Re: Darwin was not the first to advance a theory of evolution;   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2010, 07:03