Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [12]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 3: 640
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3283 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Send PM
Re: Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, r [#permalink]
Kudos
I think data is plural and datum is singular

So A and B straight out

D is awkward
E is passive

C lives
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Re: Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, r [#permalink]
Kudos
Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, reporting that the Earth?s northern latitudes have become about ten percent greener since 1980, due to more vigorous plant growth associated with warmer temperatures and higher levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide.

A)Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, reporting that the Earth?s northern latitudes have - Who is reporting? Data or Scientists? Seems as if Data is reporting so misplaced modifier.

Ask same ques to each choice and we come up with C as the best answer

C)After analyzing data gathered by weather satellites, scientists report that the Earth?s northern latitudes have

Scientists have analyzed the data and report.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 996
Send PM
C: "After analyzing data gathered by weather satellites, scientists report that the Earth's northern latitudes have" - should it not be "After analyzing data gathered by weather satellites, scientists report(ed) that the Earth's northern latitudes have", otherwise it sounds more like a phenomenon which kind of repeats itself - think the intent is to limit the observation to a specific event.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, reporting that the Earth?s northern latitudes have become about ten percent greener since 1980, due to more vigorous plant growth associated with warmer temperatures and higher levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide.

A)Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, reporting that the Earth?s northern latitudes have

B)Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, and they report the Earth?s northern latitudes as having

C)After analyzing data gathered by weather satellites, scientists report that the Earth?s northern latitudes have

D)After analysis of data, gathered by weather satellites, scientists report the Earth?s northern latitudes as having

E)After data gathered by weather satellites was analyzed by scientists, who report that the Earth?s northern latitudes hav

A ,E and B seem to be passive.
D reported speech that makes more sense
also as having is not correct

C is best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [2]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
Kudos
Some of the stats of this forum just surprises me. Yes this isn't a super hard question..but only 5% got it wrong!?!? That doesn't sound right.

Anyways, I'd like to point out that C has incorrect usage of "due to" albeit being the correct answer. :D:D
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, r [#permalink]
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma egmat

Quote:
Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, reporting that the Earth's northern latitudes have become about ten percent greener since 1980, due to more vigorous plant growth associated with warmer temperatures and higher levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Can experts help if coma + verb-ing modifier - reporting - is correct in (A)
Does not due to modify a verb- have become ?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [3]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:

Quote:
Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, reporting that the Earth's northern latitudes have become about ten percent greener since 1980, due to more vigorous plant growth associated with warmer temperatures and higher levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Hello @Arpit/ adkikani,

Thank you for the query. :-)

IMHO, usage of comma + verb-ing modifier reporting is certainly incorrect in Choice A because this choice seems to suggest that data reported something. This certainly is not the intended logical meaning.

From the context of the sentence, we can say for sure that scientists did the action of reporting. Hence, usage of comma + reporting is incorrect in Choice A.

Well, it is true that the due to in this official sentence has been used to refer to the action have become. This usage is incorrect. But it is not tested in this sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hello Ms.Payal ,

In the e-gmat course, it was discussed that verb+ing modifiers can modify the closest of the verbs in case the statement they are modifying has multiple verbs.

Ex stated was : Mary's father wants Mary to become a doctor, making a difference in people's lives...
It was explained that the ing modifer, making, modifies become.

So why can't the same principle be applied in the option A ?
Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, reporting that the Earth's northern latitudes have be..

Can't reporting modify analyzed ?? It states the result of the analysis and also the do-er of both the modifier as well as the verb that it is modifying is same - scientists.

Please reply!!
I was stuck in between the choices A & C and then eliminated C thinking that since the statement in placed in past tense and hence usage of report is wrong.
Also it would be really helpful if you can explain the misconception I am having about the verb usage.

Thanks
Hareesh

egmat wrote:
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

Hello @Arpit/ adkikani,

IMHO, usage of comma + verb-ing modifier reporting is certainly incorrect in Choice A because this choice seems to suggest that data reported something. This certainly is not the intended logical meaning.

From the context of the sentence, we can say for sure that scientists did the action of reporting. Hence, usage of comma + reporting is incorrect in Choice A.

Well, it is true that the due to in this official sentence has been used to refer to the action have become. This usage is incorrect. But it is not tested in this sentence.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, r [#permalink]
Dear Expert,

I've Googled this but I got mixed findings - my question is, is it "data has been gathered" or "data have been gathered"?

Isn't data a plural noun? (datum??)

I've found both questions with the use of data that uses plural and singular verbs:

"Discouraged by new data that show increases in toxic emissions from domestic factories, searches for alternative investment opportunities are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies."
vs.
"Now that so much data travels via light—i.e., is carried in glass fibers rather than by electrical current—one goal of semiconductor research is to develop a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, a development that mav one day lead to smaller, faster semiconductors."

Thanks!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shabuzen102 wrote:
Dear Expert,

I've Googled this but I got mixed findings - my question is, is it "data has been gathered" or "data have been gathered"?

Isn't data a plural noun? (datum??)

I've found both questions with the use of data that uses plural and singular verbs:

"Discouraged by new data that show increases in toxic emissions from domestic factories, searches for alternative investment opportunities are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies."
vs.
"Now that so much data travels via light—i.e., is carried in glass fibers rather than by electrical current—one goal of semiconductor research is to develop a silicon chip that can transmit and receive light signals directly, a development that mav one day lead to smaller, faster semiconductors."

Thanks!

Hello shabuzen102,

Whether data is a singular noun or a plural noun is actually irrelevant to both the official questions mentioned here. For the official question in this discussion thread, only Choice A uses data as a subject. Even if we are not sure whether data should take a singular or a plural verb, Choice A has an incorrect modifier that makes this choice incorrect.

In the other official question, the clause Now that so much data travels via light lies in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. So, the sentence does not intend to test the number of the noun data.

Hence, we can arrive at the correct answer choice in both the official questions without worrying about whether data is a singular or a plural noun entity.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Dear AnthonyRitz VeritasPrepHailey DmitryFarber GMATGuruNY MartyTargetTestPrep AjiteshArun IanStewart GMATRockstar GMATNinja,

I'm not sure whether this is official question, but it seems so. (Please feel free to confirm :))

After analyzing data gathered by weather satellites, scientists report that the Earth's northern latitudes have become about ten percent greener since 1980, due to more vigorous plant growth associated with warmer temperatures and higher levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Why is DUE TO correct here?
IMHO, DUE TO can be used only as ADJECTIVE, not as adverb (as is the case in this problem).
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [2]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
varotkorn wrote:
Dear AnthonyRitz VeritasPrepHailey DmitryFarber GMATGuruNY MartyTargetTestPrep AjiteshArun IanStewart GMATRockstar GMATNinja,

I'm not sure whether this is official question, but it seems so. (Please feel free to confirm :))

After analyzing data gathered by weather satellites, scientists report that the Earth's northern latitudes have become about ten percent greener since 1980, due to more vigorous plant growth associated with warmer temperatures and higher levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Why is DUE TO correct here?
IMHO, DUE TO can be used only as ADJECTIVE, not as adverb (as is the case in this problem).

Do not make decisions based on the idiomatic usage of "due to."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
Yurik79 wrote:

(A) Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, reporting that the Earth's northern latitudes have

(B) Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, and they report the Earth's northern latitudes as having

(C) After analyzing data gathered by weather satellites, scientists report that the Earth's northern latitudes have

(D) After analysis of data, gathered by weather satellites, scientists report the Earth's northern latitudes as having

(E) After data gathered by weather satellites was analyzed by scientists, who report that the Earth's northern latitudes have

This question is based on Modifiers, Tense, and Verb forms.
Option A has the error of Dangling Modifier as the modifier “reporting that the Earth's northern latitudes have….” doesn’t modify the clause “Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists”. A participle phrase can modify either a noun or the subject in the clause before it. The subject is ‘data’ but in this case, data cannot report anything. So, Option A can be eliminated.

Option B ends in the perfect participle “having become”. The present perfect or the present perfect continuous tense is used with the preposition ‘since’. So, the form ‘have become’ is the more appropriate form and therefore, Option B can also be eliminated.

Options C, D, and E have a different structure.

Option D contains commas that are unnecessary - After analysis of data, gathered by weather satellites, - The placement of commas unnecessarily separates the phrase “gathered by weather satellites” from the noun ‘data’. Option D also contains the perfect participle, thereby repeating the error in Option B. So, Option D can also be eliminated.

Option E is an incomplete sentence; the structure of E is:
After data gathered by weather satellites was analyzed by scientists – Dependent adverbial clause
who report that the Earth's northern latitudes have become about ten percent greener since 1980, due to more vigorous plant growth associated with warmer temperatures and higher levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide – Dependent adjective clause

So, effectively, Option E is made up of two dependent clauses. There is no independent clause to complete the meaning.

Option C correctly uses the adverbial phrase (After analyzing data gathered by weather satellites) to modify the subject and verb (scientists report) to show that the scientists report something after analyzing data.

The option also contains the present perfect tense to suit the preposition ‘since’.
"have become about ten percent greener since 1980"

Therefore, C is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Yurik79 wrote:

(A) Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, reporting that the Earth's northern latitudes have

(B) Data gathered by weather satellites has been analyzed by scientists, and they report the Earth's northern latitudes as having

(C) After analyzing data gathered by weather satellites, scientists report that the Earth's northern latitudes have

(D) After analysis of data, gathered by weather satellites, scientists report the Earth's northern latitudes as having

(E) After data gathered by weather satellites was analyzed by scientists, who report that the Earth's northern latitudes have

In option C
Is the usage of verb report correct?
Shouldn't that be "have reported" or just "reported" ?

Experts ! Please clarify.

Thanks in advance :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts