Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
So sorry to hear that!!!
I just visited Duke today, and there seemed to be a lot of traffic on campus...

I hope you feel better!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat,

I hope you get better soon (and you're right, it's not broken :).

Sorry it happened so soon after classes started for you.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry to hear that aaudetat. I send good wishes your way and hope your injuries will heal soon.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
That sucks. Have you hired a lawyer? You deserve some cash justice.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry to hear that. Hope you recover soon.

we have at least two lawyers on this thread!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks, guys. for the lawyers among you: is it hit and run if the guy stopped, but I screamed at him so he left? A bus driver got his info, so after the cops showed up and I noticed he was gone, they were itchin' to go after him. But I think my cursing (I believe I said something along the lines of "Get the f*** out of my face") chased him away. Or perhaps it was when my eyes turned black and started smoking.

Whatever. Frankly, I'm going to go ahead and guess that he's not overly financially stable. Going after him for $200 in bike repair and whatever my insurance leaves me for the doctor bills isn't going to fix my bike quicker or make the bruises go away.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
That sucks. Have you hired a lawyer? You deserve some cash justice.

Haha - that is the only type of justice worth the effort.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
"Get the f*** out of my face."
is not the same as, "You are forgiven and I clear you of all possible financial obligations resulting from this incident."

"Get the f*** out of my face" doesn't equal "Get out of here!"

Find him and sue him or at least press charges. I can deduce he did one of two things:
1) He hit you and knocked you down, which means he shouldn't have just left the scene.
2) He hit you so hard that he didn't knock you down, but broke your wrist at the moment of impact (not likely)

Either way, he needs to be prosecuted or at least put the fear of the police on him.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh yea, also -- hope you feel better. Ice your wrist!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here I was trying to convince my fiance to going to Duke for my MBA is a good idea if I get in and I find out guys are hitting random girls on bikes then leaving because they're scared of her smoking black eyes? What kind of place is this?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
You need to expand your mind. I've got 2 words for you... Pain and Suffering (har har). Sure, your compensatory damages might only be $200, but your pain and suffering could be (depending on state law) limitless. Pain and suffering is great because it's so difficult to quantify.

Regarding this person's financial stability, I've got 7 words for you...Parent's homeowner's insurance. Generally speaking (and again, depending on state law), most homeowners insurance is also liability insurance. The big thing here is that children away at college are generally considered to be covered under their parent's homeowner policies, even if the the children don't live under that roof any more.

The other more obvious source of fundage would be auto insurance, with many states requiring minimum's of at least $25k or $50k for injuries. I'm guessing that you concluded this person didn't have insurance because they ran.

And yes, this would be considered hit and run, but you don't need to prove that to collect cash justice from him. Basically, any time there is a car vs. person altercation, the car (driver) is at fault. The fact that he ran just makes it really simple for you to make your case.

If you don't want to waste a lot of time and effort, hire one of those personal injury lawyers that advertises on TV. Heck, you might be able to find one that's willing to front you the expected settlement (less fees of 40-50% of course) because this case seems so obvious and blatant. I imagine it would go something like this. You call up the ambulance chaser, he drools and takes your case, he makes a few inquiries as to whether there is either auto or homeowner coverage, and then he works out a settlement.

If you have obvious bruises and injuries you can document in a medical report (broken bones are especially good, but soft tissue can work as well), then you can collect for pain and suffering; you might need to prove negligence or recklessness (again depends on the state), but that should be easy in this case. Don't limit yourself to $200, get yourself a piece of the American pie.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
just think, "free tuition"
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is just beautiful. It brings a tear to my eye. I highlighted the key points.

pelihu wrote:
And yes, this would be considered hit and run, but you don't need to prove that to collect cash justice from him. Basically, any time there is a car vs. person altercation, the car (driver) is at fault. The fact that he ran just makes it really simple for you to make your case.

If you don't want to waste a lot of time and effort, hire one of those personal injury lawyers that advertises on TV. Heck, you might be able to find one that's willing to front you the expected settlement (less fees of 40-50% of course) because this case seems so obvious and blatant. I imagine it would go something like this. You call up the ambulance chaser, he drools and takes your case, he makes a few inquiries as to whether there is either auto or homeowner coverage, and then he works out a settlement.

If you have obvious bruises and injuries you can document in a medical report (broken bones are especially good, but soft tissue can work as well), then you can collect for pain and suffering; you might need to prove negligence or recklessness (again depends on the state), but that should be easy in this case. Don't limit yourself to $200, get yourself a piece of the American pie.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am sorry to hear about this aau :(
Hope you feel better soon :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
you guys are a riot. peli, listening to you, i can't imagine why our litiginous society has such a bad name.

here's the details:

i was headed east, approaching 4-way stop. Go to stop. My turn. Go through, with arm out to signal left-hand turn.

He is headed south. He doesn't see me, thinks it's his turn. He is coming, coming, i'm yelling f***in' stop, over and over. Still keeps coming. Hits breaks after hitting me. he t-bones me, but luckily i'd cleared most of it and he only hit my rear tire. I go a$$ over tea-kettle, as my momma likes to say. Landed mostly on right side, hence wretched wrist. Some very impressive bruising up and down left leg. wearing skirt to show off the impressiveness.

At school today, thoght i was all right until i semi-passed out in the middle of a meeting. Got hauled out to couch. Dizzy, tingly, funny. Get hauled back to duke student health, who says they think i need to go to er for possible ct scan. i know my head isn't broken, but neck is hurting like the dickens. Compromise solution is urgent care, where nice lady shoots x-rays of my neck and wrist. Doctor shocked wrist isn't broken - very yuck and purple. Have whiplash, no broken neck bits.

Now on better drugs. Fainting apparently pain reaction. Muscle relaxers AND hydrocodone. Woo! Woo!

now giving into drugged haze. sleepy, but really feel better. happy.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey aau! Sorry to hear about the accident! I'm fully with lepium. Even if you're not just suing to get lots of money, you should sue just to cover all your repairs, deductibles, and your week of pain and limping and passing out. It also teaches the guy a lesson to hit-and-run, otherwise he'll think he can hit someone again and then just drive off.

Hope you get better soon!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
woah! Aau! I'm sorry to hear this!

Take photos of the bruises and post them on gmatclub. We can then "testify" as "material witnesses".
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2