Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 01:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dealing with Family (and Friends)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Dealing with Family (and Friends) [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2008, 07:00
Fortunately, all of my friends and family have been very supportive of me pursuing an MBA. I have an older brother who earned his degree from Darden a few years ago, so my parents see the value of an MBA. My wife is earning her MBA at a very reputable part-time program and she has been very supportive as well (although we have had plenty of discussions on the financial aspect of it - her company is paying for her tuition, whereas we will be looking at some "investment debt" for Emory's tuition).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Dealing with Family (and Friends) [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2008, 19:41
I have not had a hard time with family, but the same can not be said for my friends. The last thing in the world they can imagine me doing is studying for an MBA, it just does not happen in my group of artists. Even both of my recommenders were surprised by my intentions. I had to pretend like it was just a whim and not too serious for them to write the essay.

The truth is that everyone has an identity, and a way they have gone about doing things in life. Most of the time people are proud of it, and think it is the right way. As people close to them go off on different paths it can be seen as a threat. The threat that perhaps they chose the wrong path. However, we are all individuals and each make our own paths, investments, mistakes, and successes. I would suggest never trying to prove that your choice is correct. State your intent, know for yourself it is the right one, but with those who oppose the idea say "you might be right, but I need to do this. I need to make that mistake."

None of us are guaranteed anything from this process. We will create (or not) our own success. Know that everyone will come to see it your way if it works out. Make sure that it does.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Dealing with Family (and Friends) [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 11:38
totally on the same boat here!
my mom wasn't too understanding...mainly b/c she thinks i'm not a "school person" ... as oppose to my older sister. who is smarter and more of a book/school person than i am.

i would think that parents would be proud of their kids going to pursue further in their education...but anyhow...my mom is not really bugging me about getting an mba. nor is she being supportive. she thinks its a waste of money and that i should just work and gain more experience. but im not sure if i should go part time or full time yet anyway.
Re: Dealing with Family (and Friends)   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2008, 11:38