Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dear all gmat takers, I am still confused abt the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Dear all gmat takers, I am still confused abt the [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 21:39
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (02:07) correct 33% (01:05) wrong based on 12 sessions
Dear all gmat takers,

I am still confused abt the "Weaken" CR part. Do you have any tips to solve this?

Below is the most headache one I need your help

1. The more frequently employees take time to exercise during working hours each week, the fewer sick days they take. Even employees who exercise only once a week during working hours take less sick time than those who do not exercise. Therefore, if companies started fitness programs, the absentee rate in those companies would decrease significantly.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

A. Employees who excercise during working hours occasionally fall asleep for short periods of time after they exercise.
B. Employees who are frequently absent are the least likely to cooperate with or join a coooperate fitness program.
C. Employees who exercise only once a week in their company's fitness program usually also exercise after work.
D. Employees who exercise in their company's fitness program use their working time no more productively than those who do not exercise.
E. Employees who exercise during working hour take slightly longer lunch breaks than employees who do not exercise.

The correct answer is B. But I see answer choice B is strenghthen the argument not weaken. I feel answer D is more reasonable. :(

2. A poll of all voters in the state shows that only 11% of all people who voted were younger than 29 yrs old. These results prove that young Americans are not as interested in voting as are older generations. Which of the following statements, if true, would most seriously weaken the author's conclusion?

A. The number of voters in the state under the age of 29 has increased for each of the past 5 yrs.
C. Of all people in the state who are old enough to vote, only 13 % are younger than 29 yrs old.

C is the correct answer. But I feel A is better as it weaken the conclusion that young Americans are not as interested in voting as are the olders.

Please help me to solve these questions above. Appreciate your comments and explanation....
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Weaken part Tips and need help for explanation. [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 18:16
the first argurment:

the text states that the cooporation should start a fitness program in the company in order to reduce the absentee rate in the company... and the company might assumption that everybody in the company will join the fitness programm. however B says nooooo, the workers in the company wont join the program, " Employees [url]are the least likely to[/url] cooperate with or [url]join[/url] a coooperate fitness program."""
Because the workers who alwayys absent dont want to join the program, the program would be failed, thus weekend the conslusion that the absentee rate will be decreased....

the second argument...

well, the increasing rate of 29 year people are not relevent in the text.
A is irrelevant.
C. the argument says that 11% of younger 29 year people joined the vote while Of all people in the state who are old enough to vote, only 13 % are younger than 29 yrs old.this means that people who are younger 29 years do care of voting. it doea weaken the argument
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 953 [0], given: 376

Re: CR: Weaken part Tips and need help for explanation. [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 20:09
yenpham9 wrote:
Dear all gmat takers,

I am still confused abt the "Weaken" CR part. Do you have any tips to solve this?

Below is the most headache one I need your help

1. The more frequently employees take time to exercise during working hours each week, the fewer sick days they take. Even employees who exercise only once a week during working hours take less sick time than those who do not exercise. Therefore, if companies started fitness programs, the absentee rate in those companies would decrease significantly.

A. Employees who excercise during working hours occasionally fall asleep for short periods of time after they exercise.
B. Employees who are frequently absent are the least likely to cooperate with or join a coooperate fitness program.
C. Employees who exercise only once a week in their company's fitness program usually also exercise after work.
D. Employees who exercise in their company's fitness program use their working time no more productively than those who do not exercise.
E. Employees who exercise during working hour take slightly longer lunch breaks than employees who do not exercise.

The correct answer is B. But I see answer choice B is strenghthen the argument not weaken. I feel answer D is more reasonable. :(

2. A poll of all voters in the state shows that only 11% of all people who voted were younger than 29 yrs old. These results prove that young Americans are not as interested in voting as are older generations. Which of the following statements, if true, would most seriously weaken the author's conclusion?

A. The number of voters in the state under the age of 29 has increased for each of the past 5 yrs.
C. Of all people in the state who are old enough to vote, only 13 % are younger than 29 yrs old.

C is the correct answer. But I feel A is better as it weaken the conclusion that young Americans are not as interested in voting as are the olders.

Please help me to solve these questions above. Appreciate your comments and explanation....

Hello yenpham9:
Good to see your first post. Way to go!!!

I just wanted to bring to your attention that you didn't follow the guidelines for properly posting a question. Please go through the following link.
how-to-improve-the-forum-search-function-for-others-99451.html

Here's the summary. Please:
1. Post only 1 question per thread.
2. Post the questions in its entirety, without rewording or shortening either the question or the options.
3. Embed answers or hints in the spoiler tag.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Answer is B. I think it should be C.

4. Tag your post with appropriate source and question type or whatever you see appropriate.
5. Create the thread in appropriate sub-forum.
6. Search the question before posting so as to avoid reposting and parallel discussions.
7. Provide OA under OA tag either while creating the thread or after some discussion.

Your cooperation is needed.

thanks

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: CR: Weaken part Tips and need help for explanation. [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 20:44
1 here the focal point is absentee rate and not productivity as mentioned in D.
So D can be safely eliminated.

B it is,bringing out the fact that people who remain the most absent won't turn up in the Gym either.Thus,the absentee rate won't change much.

Thus B.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: Dear all gmat takers, I am still confused abt the [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 12:26
yenpham9 wrote:

The correct answer is B. But I see answer choice B is strenghthen the argument not weaken. I feel answer D is more reasonable.

Think about the assumption here. The passage is stating two things:

1) Fact: Employees who exercise come into work more frequently than those who do not.
2) Conclusion: If companies started fitness programs, the absentee rate would decrease.

ASSUMPTION: Employees, especially those who do not exercise, would actually attend the fitness programs.

Choice B ATTACKS the ASSUMPTION because it states that employees who do not exercise are not likely to utilize or attend the fitness program offered by the company.
Re: Dear all gmat takers, I am still confused abt the   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2012, 12:26