Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dear all, I always have difficulty with this kind of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Dear all, I always have difficulty with this kind of [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 17:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

25% (02:54) correct 75% (00:28) wrong based on 10 sessions
Dear all,

I always have difficulty with this kind of questions. This is because in many cases I can not find out what are claims, objections, evidences, explanation, position ... I already read Bible of Powerscore but it doesn't help much.

For example, in this question number 117 of OG12. Could you please tell me how to find out claim, objection, evidences, explanations, position ... of this question?

Scientists typically do their most creative work before
the age of forty. It is commonly thought that this
happens because aging by itself brings about a loss
of creative capacity. However, studies show that of
scientists who produce highly creative work
beyond the age of forty, a disproportionately
large number entered their field at an older age
than is usual
. Since by the age of forty the large
majority of scientists have been working in their field
for at least fifteen years, the studies’ finding strongly
suggests that the real reason why scientists over forty
rarely produce highly creative work is not that they
have aged but rather that scientists over forty have
generally spent too long in their field

(A) The first is a claim, the accuracy of which is at
issue in the argument; the second is a
conclusion drawn on the basis of that claim.
(B) The first is an objection that has been raised
against a position defended in the argument;
the second is that position.
(C) The first is evidence that has been used to
support an explanation that the argument
challenges; the second is that explanation.
(D) The first is evidence that has been used to
support an explanation that the argument
challenges; the second is a competing
explanation that the argument favors.
(E) The first provides evidence to support an
explanation that the argument favors; the
second is that explanation.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Critical Reasoning - boldface questions [#permalink] New post 27 May 2011, 01:00
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Critical Reasoning - boldface questions [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 07:13
What is the OA? I go for C
Expert Post
Followers: 293

Kudos [?]: 2472 [0], given: 693

Re: Critical Reasoning - boldface questions [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 13:22
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Critical Reasoning - boldface questions [#permalink] New post 30 May 2011, 01:26
OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

Re: Critical Reasoning - boldface questions [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 03:45
E for me.

What is the central point of this argument?

The author states that most of the scientists do their creative work before the age of 40, and that most of the people attribute this phenomenon to the aging of the scientists.

The author *on the contrary* believes that the phenomenon is related to the *amount of time spent by the scientists in their respective fields* rather than the *age of the scientists themselves*.

Boldface 1: This is evidence. This information is favorable to the author's central point. The study suggests that among scientists who produced creative work beyond the age of 40 -- a large number of them entered the field at an older age. We can infer that *the time spent by the scientists in their respective fields* rather than *the age of the scientists themselves* is more relevant in determining a scientist's potential to do creative work.

Boldface 2: The author's conclusion -- It's not aging but the time spent in the field.

Choice E -- is the clear winner here. Boldface 1 supports the author's argument. Boldface 2 -- is the author's conclusion or central point.

Choice C -- is incorrect. Boldface 1 does not challenge the author's central point. It is the evidence the author uses to argue his central point. The author's conclusion is based on Boldface 1.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Critical Reasoning - boldface questions [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 23:37
offensive language deleted by moderator.

DevilDoggNC wrote:
E for me.
The passage at first says that people before 40 tend to do creative work, then in the boldface the scientist says people over 40 tend to do creative work.
Then passage tells something meaning that people over 40 because of age problem they tend to not able to do more creative work.

Why E is correct? It is clearly that the first one challenges the argument, the second one I don't know it could be explaination or could be something else.

The official answer is C, not E. You are wrong.

What is the central point of this argument?

The author states that most of the scientists do their creative work before the age of 40, and that most of the people attribute this phenomenon to the aging of the scientists.

The author *on the contrary* believes that the phenomenon is related to the *amount of time spent by the scientists in their respective fields* rather than the *age of the scientists themselves*.

Boldface 1: This is evidence. This information is favorable to the author's central point. The study suggests that among scientists who produced creative work beyond the age of 40 -- a large number of them entered the field at an older age. We can infer that *the time spent by the scientists in their respective fields* rather than *the age of the scientists themselves* is more relevant in determining a scientist's potential to do creative work.

Boldface 2: The author's conclusion -- It's not aging but the time spent in the field.

Choice E -- is the clear winner here. Boldface 1 supports the author's argument. Boldface 2 -- is the author's conclusion or central point.

Choice C -- is incorrect. Boldface 1 does not challenge the author's central point. It is the evidence the author uses to argue his central point. The author's conclusion is based on Boldface 1.
Re: Critical Reasoning - boldface questions   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2011, 23:37