Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Verb Tense/Formx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1056 [77]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30780 [36]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I agree with B. "Graphic Design" is singular and so we need it has. wide ranging is correct.

I am not clear on use of suggest in all sentences. Isn't "suggest" a plural verb which is incorrect for "graphic design".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 725 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate [#permalink]
Kudos
saxenashobhit wrote:
I agree with B. "Graphic Design" is singular and so we need it has. wide ranging is correct.

I am not clear on use of suggest in all sentences. Isn't "suggest" a plural verb which is incorrect for "graphic design".

i have the same Question, about 'suggest' - will someone who knows, explain it?

Originally posted by agdimple333 on 07 May 2012, 08:52.
Last edited by dvinoth86 on 07 May 2012, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging "they" pronoun error; "widely ranging" is awkward and redundant

(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of OK but a better sentence could exist

(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging - brochure seems separate from layout, so there is a definite change of meaning; "widely ranging" is awkward and redundant

(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of Verb tenses "have" and "has" signify that actions occurred in the past but effects are still present, changing the meaning of the sentence. It´s also not clear which action occurred first

(E) has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging "they" is pronoun error; "widely ranging" is awkward and redundant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-05-2013
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
My answer is B..

They is plural so it cannot be used. A and E are out.

C,D refer to the layout..Laying out corporate brochers is different from Corporate brochure and report layout.They both have different meanings.Layout out refers to planning and construction.Brochure layout refers to the format of the brochure
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 957 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Hang Tuah wrote:
Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of
(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging
(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
(E) has suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging

Answer choice E is : have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports. they have come to signify
widely ranging

"Hang Tuah" needs to correct his post
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging work, from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles.

Issues: Verb form | Pronoun reference

Analysis:
1. The pronoun referring to the term should be singular. Hence "it" is the correct pronoun to use.
2. "widely ranging" is illogical in the context of this sentence.

(A) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
- See analysis

(B) suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, it has come to signify a wide range of

(C) suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a widely ranging
- "A term may suggest [NOUN]" does not appear correct (can someone help me confirm this one?). Idiomatically it should be "A term may suggest ACTION"

(D) have suggested corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has signified a wide range of
- "A term may suggest [NOUN]" does not appear correct (can someone help me confirm this one?). Idiomatically it should be "A term may suggest ACTION"
- "has signified" is the incorrect form and distorts meaning.

(E) have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
- See analysis

Answer: (B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 129
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q42 V20
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

(E) have suggested laying out corporate brochures and annual reports, they have come to signify widely ranging
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 263
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Please can anyone advise why suggests is not being used with graphic design ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
proabhinav wrote:
Please can anyone advise why suggests is not being used with graphic design ?

Because the sentence uses the construct may suggest.

may suggests is incorrect in all cases.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
My only concern between B) and C) is the way layout has been used.
B says -
The term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports.
This choice makes me feel that graphic design is suggesting the action of laying out instead of the noun phrase - brochure layout which feels more appropriate.

Isn't this a better usage - Though the term "graphic design" may suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has come to signify a wide range of....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
adityabhide7 wrote:
My only concern between B) and C) is the way layout has been used.
B says -
The term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports.
This choice makes me feel that graphic design is suggesting the action of laying out instead of the noun phrase - brochure layout which feels more appropriate.

Isn't this a better usage - Though the term "graphic design" may suggest corporate brochure and annual report layout, it has come to signify a wide range of....
This is just a different meaning of suggest. Suggest here means "to bring to mind".

Here is a more accurate look at suggest (1b).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
"The layout/laying out of a brochure or annual report" is a possessive phrase whereas brochure and annual reports layout is not a possessive phrase. If we want to say the second phrase in the possessive case, then it will be "brochures" or "annual reports'" layout or laying out; this is rather clumsy.

Mostly we use the "apostrophe" possessive when we refer to human beings while we refer the 'of' prepositional possessive to those other than humans. This is more of a custom rather than of any rule.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
WE:Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Send PM
Taku wrote:

Thank you for your help!

Dear readers,
Can somebody support me to understand why "has come to signify" is NOT "present perfect tense"?

In the explanation page of OG, it is said that "The present perfect tense is used inappropriately in Choice C(has signified), D(have suggested....has signified), and E(have suggested) to indicate recently completed rather than ongoing action".

However, I see "present perfect tense" in the right answer, Choice B(has come to signify), don't I ?

Hi KarishmaB AjiteshArun EducationAisle

I have a couple of doubts in the above question.

1/ why have suggested is wrong ?
2/what part of speech laying is ? Is it a Gerund / modifier ?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Though the term "graphic design" may suggest laying out corporate [#permalink]
KarishmaB GMATNinja
AndrewN

Can you please explain differences between B,C and D in this answer (explaining ALL wrong parts of each sentence)?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Taku wrote:

Thank you for your help!

Dear readers,
Can somebody support me to understand why "has come to signify" is NOT "present perfect tense"?

In the explanation page of OG, it is said that "The present perfect tense is used inappropriately in Choice C(has signified), D(have suggested....has signified), and E(have suggested) to indicate recently completed rather than ongoing action".

However, I see "present perfect tense" in the right answer, Choice B(has come to signify), don't I ?

Think about what the sentence wants to say:

The term 'graphic design' seems to suggest that it stands for one thing - 'laying out corporate brochures and annual reports'
But the term is used for a wide rage of activities - from package designs and company logotypes to signs, book jackets, computer graphics, and film titles

Dependent Clause - Though the term "graphic design" may[u] suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,
Main Clause - It has come to signify a wide range of work ...

Though the term "graphic design" may[u] suggest laying out corporate brochures and annual reports,
- We are talking about the singular 'term.' Since we are using modal verb 'may' we use base form 'suggest.'
('I suggest,' 'he suggests,' 'they suggest' BUT 'I may suggest,' 'he may suggest,' 'they may suggest')

Verb - may suggest
laying out C and A - Direct Object of the verb (answers the question 'may suggest what?')
Hence it acts as a noun i.e. gerund.

It has come to signify a wide range of work ...

- We are still talking about the singular 'term' so we must use 'it' not 'they'. Hence options (A) and (E) are incorrect.
- 'has come to signify' means that this is what it means. It has evolved over time to include other activities too and that makes sense. The term may seem to refer to only 'laying out C and A' but it has evolved to refer to other activities too.
- 'has signified' means that up to the recent past, it has signified all the activities mentioned. But that meaning isn't correct. There is no reason to believe that today it may not signify all those activities. We need to say that it has evolved to signify other things too and now it does signify those other things too. So signify should not use present perfect. Recall that present perfect of 'come' is 'come'. So the action of what the term means is complete but it still means those other things too. So present perfect 'has come' is fine but 'has signified' isn't correct.

Take a simpler example:
Thought the term lit may suggest glowing in appearance, it has come to signify a wide range of descriptors, from awesome to intoxicated.

Correct.

The term does not suggest the 'layout of the brochure.' It suggests 'laying out the brochure' i.e. the action. Hence it is not ideal to say 'brochure layout.'
'has signified' is a problem as discussed above.

The term still seems to suggest one thing only. The point is that it means multiple things now. Hence the use of present perfect 'have suggested' is not correct.
'has signified' is a problem as discussed above.

Answer (B)

PriyamRathor AcetheGMAT123
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts