Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats on your awesome score. I'd like to know how you studied for verbal as well. Are you a native English speaker? I am not. I find verbal particularly hard and I am so frustrated. I got questions wrong because I just don't understand the meaning of some of the important key words. Or, I simply does understand the passage at all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Send PM
Re: Dec 15 - 770 I'm sooo done with GMAT [#permalink]
770 is awesome..
Can we have some more debrief on your verbal strategy rc and cr ?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Congratulations !!!
770 is impressive!

Please, write your verbal study technique in detail. SC,RC,CR. thanks a lot.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would like to point out (not to detract but just for accuracy) that I did not use any of the following materials:

Any prep courses
Kaplan books other than Kaplan 800
Manhattan
GmatClub Challenges

I am writing something up about my verbal strategy, I will post it soon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Congrats! [#permalink]
Congrats! Great and Encouraging! Did you get high score on GMAT prep consistantly? How long does it take you to get there?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
I only got 710 and 730 on the GMATPreps first pass. These were both taken in crowded, somewhat noisy coffee shops though.

My entire study program was less than 4 months, I signed up on Aug 17 for the Dec 15 date. I probably first opened a book in mid September. I would estimate that it was about 11 weeks of study, and the last 5 weeks being on a nearly daily basis (get off work, go to cafe, study 2-3 hours, go home). Weekends I would try to get in 5+ hours per day. But never anything ridiculous, I never did 2 timed tests in one day, nor ever a day with 7+ hours of studying. That would be just too taxing.

EDIT for verbal debrief:

I thought for a day or so whether I would give a detailed description of my study process, but I have decided there is no way to tell which aspects helped or hurt, and I only took the test once, I never tried different methods to improve my score. Just a few things that I am fairly sure of:

1. You must finish. You think you are doing yourself a favor by spending an extra minute double checking an answer, it only helps you if you know you will have time to finish at the end. Think about it, say you spent an extra minute each on 5 early questions to make sure you went from 80% sure to 95% sure of your answers. At the end you are looking at 2 minutes left instead of 7 min. with 5 questions to go, you just went from having a fighting 60% chance at getting those last 5 right, down to 20%. It wasn't worth it.

2. Don't get too many texts which have their own "trick" systems. I've read some debriefs where the person bought 10-12 different books, or more. This sounds insane to me. There is no way you are going to remember all these systems of trickery, you should stick to your own method, or just choose one or two published methods.

3. Don't overdo it. I think 3-4 months studying is the sweet spot, for people who have full time jobs. I could not fathom studying for this for over a year. An entire year? People start their own businesses in a year. People get promoted from janitor to director to VP in a year. People travel the world and learn about real business in a year. There is a hell of a lot you can do in a year to help your MBA app, don't spend a year trying to squeeze out an extra 30 points.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great score congratulations.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
tarmac,

Awesome score. And interesting study method too. I think you're one of the first or few to say that you didn't use the common prep materials.

What's your educational background? That verbal score is insane!!
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
my educational background is public high school and college at a school which is consistently top-5 in USnews. I've usually done well on standardized tests, luckily i have not had to repeat any SAT or ACT, I got 1590 and 35 on those with one attempt each.

But my last test, that SAT, was in 1993. that was FOURTEEN years ago. I have not taken a standardized test during that time. needless to say I was worried about this GMAT.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, you've got the job applications licked for any of those consulting firms asking for SAT and ACT scores.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tarmac,
can you please expand on your RC and CR techniques?
Did you just read then answer, skim then answer, take notes (how detailed)?

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Concentration: Finance, entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth, Stern, Haas
Send PM
Congratulations 770 is very good result, could you give some description about your preparation on math, is math is easy for you or have you increased your scores?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Send PM
Tarmac, which materials would you suggest?

OG11 and GMAT Prep?
Current Student
Send PM
I used OG11, Kaplan 800 and McGraw Hill and of those, I can only recommend OG11. It's true that a lot of the early questions are easy, but if you always time yourself and make sure to understand the answers to every hard question (even though there aren't that many hard questions) then you will have a decent understanding of the test.

For math preparation I spent quite a bit of time trying to learn combinations, permutations, quadratic formula, set theory, etc and out of these 4 things which I spent a hell of a lot of time on, I think there was one, possibly two questions on the actual test. In other words it didn't help much. I think it is better to get your geometry down perfectly (I remember quite a bit of geometry on the actual test), and also teach yourself how to finish easy questions very fast and with no typos.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Tarmac, real quick...
can you please expand on your RC and CR techniques?
Did you just read then answer, skim then answer, take notes (how detailed)?

This is really the only area I'm struggling with.
Current Student
Send PM
For RC I read the passage fairly quickly. On this first pass I am able to say what the tone of the passage is, and what function each of the paragraphs has. The details themselves are not important but it can be important to remember where certain vocabulary is used so you can find it again easily. But it's not critical, since of course, you can always refer back to the passage itself or reread the whole thing if you have to.
Then I started on the RC questions, basically I answered them straightforwardly, the only thing I looked out for was "... is suggested by the passage..." which indicates you need to infer or extrapolate something NOT directly stated in the passage. Other than that, I answered whatever question was given and did not try to overthink it.

For SC, the main thing I looked out for was verb-subject agreement. I do a lot of mental deletion of sections of sentences to make sure they make sense in a simpler form. Also, of course you have to remember that 20% of SC questions are presented in the correct form already and the answer is A. This took me quite a while to get past during my practice exams. I had been finishing the verbal section with at least a few minutes left on every practice test I took, so it was my strong point to begin with.

Another thing I did throughout my study was to use paper tests (OG11) and mark every single question I wasn't sure of while I was taking the test. This way, you can review even the questions you got right which you weren't sure of.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
That's an impressive score! :) I want it also... and more. :P

Can you tell us at what university have you been accepted?!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts