Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Decent GMAT; Low GPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Decent GMAT; Low GPA [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 09:26
I am working on my applications for the fall.

Right now, I am thinking of targeting Cornell/USC/Haas/Northwestern/Booth/Tepper

My background
27f/African American/Ivy League ugrad/gpa 2.6-explanation for this/gmat 700/ 4 years of clinical research experience at a medical school/ 6 months experience with health related startups & marketing in life sciences/ I plan on focusing on entrepreneurship and healthcare for my MBA.

I realize how low the gpa is so I am working on getting a 740. Also, I am taking some quant classes at a local grad school.

What are my chances?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Decent GMAT; Low GPA [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 20:25
With your username, you're not applying to Sloan?

In any case, it sounds like you're targeting the right range of schools given your background (Booth and Kellogg are stretches; Haas and Cornell are sweet spots; Tepper and USC are safeties). Your GMAT/GPA combo will be a concern, although going to an Ivy helps (and getting a 740 will help). "Clinical research" can suggest "lab rat" --so it's essential to show that you have some of the skills and experience that can be adapted to a team-oriented corporate environment (even if it's "entrepreneurial"). At this point, it sounds like you're doing all the right things (retaking GMAT, a good mix of stretch, sweet spot and safety schools), and you're focused on executing the applications.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Decent GMAT; Low GPA   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2011, 20:25