Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 15:27
Hi guys,

I am deciding between the Park Fellowship at Cornell versus no money at Michigan.

I would want to do into sustainability and am currently applying to the Erb program at Michigan (with full expectation that I will get in).

Which one should I take?

P.S. Ross is re-considering my scholarship seeing that I got the Park. But no results yet.

Any advice would be very welcome.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 15:38
Sustainability meaning? Personal reasons for being in either location? How much is the Park Fellow.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 15:39
Oops, sorry.

I am considering environmental sustainability, corporate social responsibility, etc.

The Park Fellowship is a full ride given to 25 students a year, it is a leadership development program that helps you become a better leader.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 16:11
Take the free ride...Ross and Cornell are basically on par and 100k is a pretty good reason to pick a school.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 16:48
ak123: On average, this is a fair statement.
riverripper wrote:
Take the free ride...Ross and Cornell are basically on par and 100k is a pretty good reason to pick a school.

But given your sustainability focus, I dont think there is a clear answer. Erb is amazing for sustainability and career-wise I suspect Ross will provide you more options along with the additional MS in sustainability that will position you ahead of vanilla MBAs. On the other hand, 100K is a very persuasive argument in favor of cornell. I would wait to see if Ross is ready to dole out some money and if you get some $$$ then you may be able to find a satisfying middle ground. If not, you have a tough decision on your hands. Good luck!

edit: Erb's career stats are available at http://www.erb.umich.edu/Education/Mast ... s-2008.htm. See if you can find something similar for Cornell. Also, remember that most ERB employers look for an Erb candidate. So you have a very limited group of MBAs competing for a larger pool of jobs. In addition, you can recruit with every other company that comes on campus to hire the non-erb MBAs.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 16:53
Congrats! I don't know very much about sustainability as it relates to bschool programs. A couple of things I would consider:

1) Can you get the jobs in that field you want out of Cornell? How easily?
2) If you can't get your dream job from either school (worst case hypothetical), which school offers you a better choice for a second choice job?
3) Do you have a location preference - midwest/upstate NY?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 18:09
For sustainability Ross > Cornell. I'm going to be attending Ross but if I were you I'd take the free ride. I didn't do a lot of research into Cornell and how much recruiting they have for energy and clean tech/sustainability.

I'd still take Cornell and know that if I could get a full ride at Cornell I could probably get into my dream job anyway.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1512 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 18:16
Not knowing anything about sustainability strengths at Ross or Cornell .... I'd almost certainly take the full ride.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 18:37
We need a Cornell student to chime in on energy/sustainability. I think Erb is amazing, I got to meet a banker to clean energy VC who was an Erb alum, GE Energy, Solar, Wind - Ross has an amazing following in this field. I however choose to not to Erb because it's an extra year, I'd prefer to network my way into the field and use my previous energy background.

Still it's a 3 yr program so an extra year of opportunity cost and your going to pass up a full ride at Cornell? I'd have to see some staggering recruiting numbers from Cornell that would convince me getting into Sustainability is impossible to pass up that scholie.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 18:42
Are you sure its 3 years and not 2.5? One of the ex-gmat clubbers just decided to add Erb to his MBA and he finishes in 2.5 years, not 3.
lsuguy7 wrote:
Still it's a 3 yr program
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 18:49
It's really hard to figure out exactly how long it is because the Erb website claims you can double count some credits but the Erb guys I talked to at GBR seemed to mention the MS part as an extra year.

In this sample plan on the website they show 3 years.

http://www.erb.umich.edu/Education/Mast ... lePlan.pdf
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 18:53
from UofM's website.

"The Frederick A. and Barbara M. Erb Institute for Global Sustainable Enterprise is a partnership with the School of Natural Resources & Environment, which explores how organizations can achieve long-term success through the harmonization of economic, environmental and social interests. The institute’s world-class MBA/MS Program is an integrated three-year experience in which students earn two Masters degrees."
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 19:29
Congrats man, I hope Ross reconsider and match (at least part) of the schollie. :)
But either way, they are good schools. You will be alright at both.
Current Student
Schools: Cornell University - The Johnson School
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 20:38
I don't know much about sustainability but I do know about the Park Fellowship and that it is very, very prestigious scholarship. I'm a current grad student at Cornell and I know two people that are Park Fellows. The Fellowship is well known among recruiters and the people that are Park Fellows really look out for each other.

I don't know how you could turn down free tuition especially in this economy. Think about it for a sec ... free tuition!

As far as sustainability is concerned I know one MBA student here that wants to do the same thing you want to. If you want I could give you her information and you can chat with her. I'll need to ask her first but I'm sure she would be cool with that.

Just let me know.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2009, 21:42
Franklin wrote:
The Fellowship is well known among recruiters and the people that are Park Fellows really look out for each other.

I think this has been overlooked. I know many schools have fellowship programs like the Park Fellows, and one of the biggest selling points is they have their own little network. At Kellogg, there is a program, and as part of it they have alumni mentors, special events, and yes having it on your resume wont hurt. I don't know if it is going to be a huge boost in recruiting, but it certainly wont hurt you at all to have a well known scholarship listed.

As for careers, I did lots of energy recruiting, and can tell you Cornell appeared to be just as well represented at most places as Ross. I think some of the midwest places Ross did better but I would imagine some of the eastcoast places Cornell has an advantage. Whether it was traditional oil/utility, or it was in the renewable sector...they are pretty close. Cornell has one of the strongest connections to GE of any school, so you can definitely work the GE wind angle. I have a friend going to another major renewables company that only took a few people this year and one of the others is Cornell.

Its definitely not a knock against Ross to say to go to Cornell...personally I would say Ross over Cornell if money wasnt involved. But a fullride for a school that has a near equal rep is tough to turn down. Especially when you factor in most of the clean tech and renewable companies paying on the low side of the energy pay scale (in the 20-30k less range than the more traditional energy players). 100k less debt gives you tons of freedom when it comes to your future.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2009, 04:47
I think we've solved this one. Thanks to River for the chime in on Cornell and energy. You've got a named fellowship at a great school - unless you get some sort of match from Ross this isn't even close.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 13:37
lsuguy,

On topic of Erb being 3 years, I spoke to a current Ross student who told me that the main benefit of the 3 years is the 2 internships. Academically, one can fit many of the courses that interest them within the two year window. Highlighting courses might be an alternative to the full degree.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 14:37
go 3yr ross dude.
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (accepted)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 23:11
that's a tough one lol best of luck though!

Find out more about my MBA ADMISSIONS BOOK on how to navigate the b-school application process: http://bit.ly/1a9U7Cl

Blogged my way through the application process, 1st & 2nd year of school at Johnson at Cornell University - Graduated 5/26/2013 - Follow my MBA journey here @ http://www.money9111.blogspot.com | 1 New Post on 10/10
!

Intern
Intern

Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2011, 03:13
Hi guys nice posting.
Re: Deciding between Cornell with a Park and Michigan   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2011, 03:13