Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Decision to QUIT job..GOOD or BAD

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Posts: 5
Schools: ISB '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Decision to QUIT job..GOOD or BAD [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 22:49
Hello to all the GMAT aspirants.
I am new to this forum and plan on taking GMAT this year.
Just went through few posts which say quitting your job is not a good idea for preparation.
I have resigned 1 month back from TATA Consultancy Services after having around 4 years of experience because:
1.I never wanted to be in IT(I was a very bad coder) and joined only because I had no other option at that time.
2.I have been trying to manage both job & studies for 2 years but with increase in experience the job responsibilities increased due to which I got less time to study.
3.It became kind of a do or die situation for me this year(family issues) and hence I thought that why not leave from where I never wanted to be,where I never enjoyed
working and start preparing.
I plan to take GMAT sometime around August.I just wanted to know whether my decision will affect my Personal Interviews(provided I get a good GMAT score of 720+).
Any thoughts and inputs are welcome.

Last edited by shuvayan86 on 22 Feb 2014, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 818
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Decision to QUIT job..GOOD or BAD [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 23:07
Try to do some NGO work at a reputed organization(get it on your CV :)) so that you can spin a story in your essays you were disllusioned by corporate and want to get in non profit sector.
_________________

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Posts: 5
Schools: ISB '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Decision to QUIT job..GOOD or BAD [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 00:46
AbhiJ wrote:
Try to do some NGO work at a reputed organization(get it on your CV :)) so that you can spin a story in your essays you were disllusioned by corporate and want to get in non profit sector.



Hey Abhi,
Thanks for the suggestion.I have some plans for NGO work after I prepare for GMAT.But can I also say that I did not see growth as a developer after around 4 years and didn't want to wait for 9-10 years to be at a managerial position and keeping in mind that I am having around 6 months before I take the GMAT(I am also preparing for other MBA exams like CAT) I decided to quit.
3 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 818
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [3] , given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Decision to QUIT job..GOOD or BAD [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 20:21
3
This post received
KUDOS
I perfectly understand your point of view. The work culture in IT rewards mediocrity and politics. However MBA Admissions will question your time management skills and think that you will have trouble managing both MBA studies and job search at B School. Or they may think that you quit because you could not handle pressure etc.

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12349
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9456 [1] , given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Decision to QUIT job..GOOD or BAD [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 22:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Not having a job is a not a great point on your resume. You do need to show professional growth, career advancement, and leadership skills since that's what MBA is about. Also, your letters of recommendation will be weak since the people writing them would have known you only for a few months or would have been your former bosses.

As to studying, assuming you speak English well, you should not need more than 3-4 months @ 2-3 hours a day. That's how much I have spent and was able to improve from 540 to 750. I think you sould be able to do it too as long as you do it early in the morning when your mind is still fresh and you are not distracted/multitasking.

P.S. I don't think you should be unemployed and just professionally preparing to the GMAT - most of us could get 800 that way if we were able to spend our days flipping books and having no pressures or stresses from work.

There is no reason you should work at a place you hate - you are welcome to what you love and what your calling is, but you can't just be a GMAT bum, not for US schools at least.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Posts: 5
Schools: ISB '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Decision to QUIT job..GOOD or BAD [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 23:02
[quote="AbhiJ"]I perfectly understand your point of view. The work culture in IT rewards mediocrity and politics. However MBA Admissions will question your time management skills and think that you will have trouble managing both MBA studies and job search at B School. Or they may think that you quit because you could not handle pressure etc.



Thanks a lot Abhi..Along with NGO work I have thought of doing some online courses:
1.Statistics,
2.Economics
3.Innovation&Commercialization
Please let me know if they will be of help.I will be doing them anyways :)
Also apart from all these what more can be done to enhance profile and basically to show the AdCom how I have utilized the free time apart from studies
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Posts: 5
Schools: ISB '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Decision to QUIT job..GOOD or BAD [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 03:55
bb wrote:
Not having a job is a not a great point on your resume. You do need to show professional growth, career advancement, and leadership skills since that's what MBA is about. Also, your letters of recommendation will be weak since the people writing them would have known you only for a few months or would have been your former bosses.

As to studying, assuming you speak English well, you should not need more than 3-4 months @ 2-3 hours a day. That's how much I have spent and was able to improve from 540 to 750. I think you sould be able to do it too as long as you do it early in the morning when your mind is still fresh and you are not distracted/multitasking.

P.S. I don't think you should be unemployed and just professionally preparing to the GMAT - most of us could get 800 that way if we were able to spend our days flipping books and having no pressures or stresses from work.

There is no reason you should work at a place you hate - you are welcome to what you love and what your calling is, but you can't just be a GMAT bum, not for US schools at least.



I have decided to work for an NGO in the time being.But most of them are volunteering jobs.Now it is not a problem for me,but will it be considered as a job by AdCom?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12349
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9456 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Decision to QUIT job..GOOD or BAD [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 11:21
Expert's post
shuvayan86 wrote:
bb wrote:
Not having a job is a not a great point on your resume. You do need to show professional growth, career advancement, and leadership skills since that's what MBA is about. Also, your letters of recommendation will be weak since the people writing them would have known you only for a few months or would have been your former bosses.

As to studying, assuming you speak English well, you should not need more than 3-4 months @ 2-3 hours a day. That's how much I have spent and was able to improve from 540 to 750. I think you sould be able to do it too as long as you do it early in the morning when your mind is still fresh and you are not distracted/multitasking.

P.S. I don't think you should be unemployed and just professionally preparing to the GMAT - most of us could get 800 that way if we were able to spend our days flipping books and having no pressures or stresses from work.

There is no reason you should work at a place you hate - you are welcome to what you love and what your calling is, but you can't just be a GMAT bum, not for US schools at least.



I have decided to work for an NGO in the time being.But most of them are volunteering jobs.Now it is not a problem for me,but will it be considered as a job by AdCom?


Unless it is a leadership position, not really.... it will be more of an extracurricular activity.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 58
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Decision to QUIT job..GOOD or BAD [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 11:28
LIke the posters above mentioned, quitting your job just to prepare for the gmat is pointless. What are you going to do once you get into a top program. There wouldnt be anywhere to hide. You will have juggle a lot of different things, things which you dont like, at the same time.

Quitting a job you dont care for is a great idea but why don't you wait until you get accepted into a program?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2014
Posts: 5
Schools: ISB '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Decision to QUIT job..GOOD or BAD [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 21:27
aimlockfire1 wrote:
even while working for tcs u quit :shock: !!


:lol: my friend prepared for gmat and cat while on bench for all most 1 year !!



Haha..Ya u can be in bench in TCS for a year if you are a fresher.After experience of 4 years you can't stay in bench for that long my friend.
Anyways thanks for the info :wink:
Re: Decision to QUIT job..GOOD or BAD   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2014, 21:27
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic decision sidworld 4 30 Oct 2013, 11:03
Experts publish their posts in the topic Multiple early decisions good or bad? shaselai 1 02 Jun 2010, 13:11
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Is it better to quit? ships_p 9 06 Jun 2009, 11:48
I quit! rampup82 7 24 Apr 2007, 14:18
How to quit? fluffydot 13 19 Apr 2007, 06:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Decision to QUIT job..GOOD or BAD

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.