Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 11:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Decisions time: UCLA or Texas? For Entrepreneurship....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

UCLA or Texas?

• 91% [11]
  • 8% [1]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Decisions time: UCLA or Texas? For Entrepreneurship.... [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 12:30
Assume the decision is based solely on the school/education/opportunities offered by the program/city for the class of 2013...and cost is not a factor.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Decisions time: UCLA or Texas? For Entrepreneurship.... [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 13:07
What kind of entrepreneurship are you referring?

Energy? High-tech? Finance?

GMAT Debrief

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Decisions time: UCLA or Texas? For Entrepreneurship.... [#permalink] New post 23 May 2011, 13:14
dc3828102 wrote:
What kind of entrepreneurship are you referring?

Energy? High-tech? Finance?

Good question...not totally sure, but probably high-tech/finance/web 2.0/consumer products. most likely not energy.

In my research, I've seen lots of good things about Austin as a city for start-ups -- but it is sort of hard to quantify/evaluate these aspects of a program, I think...
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Decisions time: UCLA or Texas? For Entrepreneurship.... [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 07:31
I'm a will-be MBA student coming fall and my interests do not align with entrepreneurship so take this with a grain of salt...

From the recruiting statistics, UCLA predominantly keeps its graduates in California (75% of the graduates stay in California). UT on the other hand, keeps majority of its graduates in the Southwest and South (61% of the graduates).

While UCLA has stronger reputation compared to UT, I suppose if you feel strongly about working in Austin after graduation, UT may be a better choice... Have you visited and/or attended classes?

GMAT Debrief

Current Student
Schools: UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Decisions time: UCLA or Texas? For Entrepreneurship.... [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 10:52
@undecided0 - I'll be an incoming Anderson student in the fall and going for a mix of both entrepreneurship and marketing. From what I've seen and heard from students, I feel there is strong support and resources available at UCLA.

That said though, where do you see yourself settling after graduation?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE: Other (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: Decisions time: UCLA or Texas? For Entrepreneurship.... [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 11:14
Are you 100% set on entrepreneurship? If nothing else matters (location, cost, etc), then I would suggest UT-Austin.

If you are looking to settle in California, or if you are unsure of your long-term career plans, then UCLA is probably a safer bet. It has great entrepreneurial resources, but is also has an outstanding overall reputation which will get you into other fields if you wish.

I think UT is more of a regional program, and your options after school would be somewhat more limited if you ended up changing your mind.
Re: Decisions time: UCLA or Texas? For Entrepreneurship....   [#permalink] 24 May 2011, 11:14