Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Decisions to make ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GRE 1: 1430 Q750 V680
GPA: 3.09
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Decisions to make ? [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 10:22
I am a 23 year Indian with a an engineering background .

I spent 1.5 years in Accenture Tech solutions and am now making a switch to consulting as i thing it will help my acceptance changes at a top
US MBA college .

I got accepted at KPMG IT consulting and I joined and as my other job applications didnt line up i got accepted at A T Kearney
strategy 2 months later . In terms of brand and prestige do you think it will help my chances if i make this switch 2 months post joining ?
So far i am thinking this is good as a lot of my friends at ATK have ended up at H/S/W and it becomes difficult to differentiate myself as a BIG 4 applicant.

Also My GPA is a bit low 2.7 with an average GMAT 720 . I cant change my GPA but should i consider re giving the GMAT to make it my strength ?

The aim is to get into a top 15 school
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 179

Re: Decisions to make ? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 13:36
Expert's post
Hi Mehul:

To be honest, any top 15 admissions committee is really not going to care too much about KPMG versus AT Kearney. I would accept the position where I would be afforded the opportunity to work on international projects, as well as take on additional responsibility (beyond what your title would traditionally dictate.)

Another point - do not burn your coworkers at KPMG. I know you have only known them for approximately two months, but it would really be a jerk off move. The consulting world is a small space – much smaller than you or I would like to believe. Word has a way of getting around it. Additionally, how are you going to explain to the admissions committee that you worked at KPMG for only two months? What would a career center director or MBA recruiter think about your decision to bail? It does not look good. Also, what do you really get out of it? Slightly more prestige?

This brings me to my next point - Do not bank too much on the apparent prestige of your employer. It is not about the dog in the fight, but rather the fight in the dog. Do not allow a firm to overshadow who you are. The admissions committee will see right through it and it denotes a certain amount of immaturity – especially if you burn your coworkers at KPMG.

And this brings me to my final point – Rule 53 - Paul Lanzillotti Guide to Life - Do not be the guy who wears Armani Exchange T-shirts, jeans, underwear, socks and deodorant – it looks like you are trying too hard, and are basically a label whore (unless there was a clearance sale and then you are good to go.)

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

mehul88 wrote:
I am a 23 year Indian with a an engineering background .

I spent 1.5 years in Accenture Tech solutions and am now making a switch to consulting as i thing it will help my acceptance changes at a top
US MBA college .

I got accepted at KPMG IT consulting and I joined and as my other job applications didnt line up i got accepted at A T Kearney
strategy 2 months later . In terms of brand and prestige do you think it will help my chances if i make this switch 2 months post joining ?
So far i am thinking this is good as a lot of my friends at ATK have ended up at H/S/W and it becomes difficult to differentiate myself as a BIG 4 applicant.

Also My GPA is a bit low 2.7 with an average GMAT 720 . I cant change my GPA but should i consider re giving the GMAT to make it my strength ?

The aim is to get into a top 15 school

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton