Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 21:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Declining revenues resulting from a decrease in business

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Declining revenues resulting from a decrease in business [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 20:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (02:02) correct 40% (01:03) wrong based on 187 sessions
Declining revenues resulting from a decrease in business travel, a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, are going to force many commercial airlines to increase prices and decrease services in the coming months
(A) a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, are
(B) a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, is
(C) and most commercial airlines use it as a source of income to survive with, are
(D) which is a source of income which is needed by most commercial airlines who could not survive without it, are
(E) which most commercial airlines use as a source of income without which they are unable to survive, is

I do not agree with the OA Posted, can someone please have a look and advise ?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please give me kudos, if you like the above post.
Thanks.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 20:19
[quote="devashish"]Declining revenues resulting from a decrease in business travel, a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, are going to force many commercial airlines to increase prices and decrease services in the coming months
(A) a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, arebest option
(B) a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, isSubject verb agreement problem.
(C) and most commercial airlines use it as a source of income to survive with, are the usage of "it" is ambiguous.
(D) which is a source of income which is needed by most commercial airlines who could not survive without it, aretoo wordy
(E) which most commercial airlines use as a source of income without which they are unable to survive, iscan be eliminated because of "is"

I hope my explanation is right!!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1705 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 21:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Except A, all the rest suffer from some kind of a fault.

(B) Declining revenues is – SV number disagreement

C) A fragment without a verb in the first part.

D) Commercial airlines – who--- wrong pronoun to denote a thing.

E) Declining revenues …. Is –SV disagreement

What is the problem in A?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 23:38
As I understand from MGMAT SC, Phrases starting with Present Particpile ( -ing ) should take a singular verb. Hence I think B is correct and not A.

Please advise if I am wrong ?

Thanks.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1705 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 01:18
Expert's post
Quote:
As I understand from MGMAT SC, Phrases starting with Present Particpile ( -ing ) should take a singular verb. Hence I think B is correct and not A.

Look at the given sentence

Going from strength to strength, Indian athletes have gathered more than a hundred medals in CWG.
The sentence starts with a present participial and the verb is the plural -have gathered – Any thing wrong?

May be MGMAT SC is being quoted out of place.

Manager
Manager

Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 10:45
daagh wrote:
Quote:

Look at the given sentence

Going from strength to strength, Indian athletes have gathered more than a hundred medals in CWG.
The sentence starts with a present participial and the verb is the plural -have gathered – Any thing wrong?

May be MGMAT SC is being quoted out of place.

Hi Daagh,

Your sentence above is correct. However that is because the subject in your sentence is 'Indian Athletes' and not the Present-Participle phrase. This is not the case for the sentence in question, where the Participle Phrase acts as the Subject of the verb 'to-be' (are). Hence I think I am correct.

Nonetheless Expert opinion is more than welcome. Also the MGMAT SC is not quoted out of place as there is a whole section in Chapter 3 named 'Subject Phrases and Clauses - Always Singular'

Thanks.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 12:21
devashish wrote:

Please advise if I am wrong ?

Declining revenues - it is plural, not singular.

All things are possible to those who believe.

Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 65

Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 19:27
A.

Declining revenues should be followed by are.

C is wrong for using and, as using and distorts the meaning.
D is wrong for the wrong use of which.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 37

Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 16:54
Straight A, since Renvenues is plural...
IMO A

Thanks,
VP

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 9

Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 06:13
Straight A :roll:

Trying to make CR and RC my strong points

"If you want my advice, Peter," he said at last, "you've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know?" Ayn Rand

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 06:55
Step1: Look for S-V agreement error if any.
In the questions yes: Subject is: declining revenues; verb must be "are"

(A) a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, are
(B) a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, is - out(C) and most commercial airlines use it as a source of income to survive with, are - we do not need to independent clauses. eliminate
(D) which is a source of income which is needed by most commercial airlines who could not survive without it, are - the restrictive pronoun "which" is not modifying the correcr noun. out
(E) which most commercial airlines use as a source of income without which they are unable to survive, is -same as D
So in A, all os this is taken care.
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 104

Kudos [?]: 229 [1] , given: 20

Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
This question is a perfect platform for a Modifier strategy we call "Use It or Lose It":

When you're presented with a modifier on the GMAT, you either "Use It" to eliminate that answer choice (because it's an incorrect modifier) or you "Lose It" (read as though it weren't there to get a better sense of subject-verb agreement and other errors.

Here, "a source of income..." logically modifies "business travel", so we can "Lose It' with that modifier and bring the rest of the sentence closer together:

Declining revenues resulting from a decrease in business travel ARE/IS going to force...

Now we can look at the remaining sentence and again eliminate a modifier: "resulting from..." modifies "declining revenues", so really this sentence is just saying that:

Declining revenues ARE going to force...

By eliminating that modifier we know that the subject is plural and we'll need "ARE" as the verb to match.

C and D each contain multiple errors (C uses "it" as a pronoun that really needs to refer back to the subject "revenues", plus it ends a statement with a preposition "with"; D is just horrendously long and uses redundant terms throughout), so the only potential answer is A. A is much easier to get to if you're seen that you can ignore the modifier that seeks to separate the subject from the verb. Because we couldn't "Use It" to eliminate the answer choice, we can "Lose It" to make a much shorter, easier-to-dissect sentence, leading us to A.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 11:16
[quote="devashish"]As I understand from MGMAT SC, Phrases starting with Present Particpile ( -ing ) should take a singular verb. quote]

I did the same mistake, thought that the subject was singular because of the word «declining».

Someone can explain why they have written that in MGMAT SC?

Please!!

Last edited by maive on 24 Nov 2010, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 11:20
Hi all,

Try to split and resplit the asnwer choices by looking at the begining and at the end of the sentence.
Read It vertically. Scan and Kill it. (RiSK) (c)

So what do you see here. Look the following splits:
1) A, B - begin with a source of income, C- with and, D, E- begin with which
2) Plural A, C, D/singular - B, E

Decide what is wrong let say in 2). subject "Declining revenues" - they are or it is???! Must be they are. So cross out B, E.
now go to 1) we have still 3 different subsplits A, C and D.
which must refer to the noun just before it. Is travel is a source of income? not for us. Kill D and move on.
Make sure you have crossed out B,E and D. Now you have 50% probability to get this SC right.

Now, even if you are stuck between choices A and C, read C carefully. Do you see smth wrong ?
first, it is ambigous here, to what does it refer? seems to business travel, is it really so ? nope.
second, to survive with - is awkward ask yourself with what??! why infinitive?
third, and is used in either parallel structures or enumeration, do you see that neither of cases is applicable to C? Cross it.
So answer is A.

Quote:
Declining revenues resulting from a decrease in business travel, a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, are going to force many commercial airlines to increase prices and decrease services in the coming months
(B) a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, is
(C) and most commercial airlines use it as a source of income to survive with, are
(D) which is a source of income which is needed by most commercial airlines who could not survive without it, are
(E) which most commercial airlines use as a source of income without which they are unable to survive, is

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 109

Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 22:26
+1 A 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 years - Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 27

Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 03:52
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
This question is a perfect platform for a Modifier strategy we call "Use It or Lose It":

When you're presented with a modifier on the GMAT, you either "Use It" to eliminate that answer choice (because it's an incorrect modifier) or you "Lose It" (read as though it weren't there to get a better sense of subject-verb agreement and other errors.

Here, "a source of income..." logically modifies "business travel", so we can "Lose It' with that modifier and bring the rest of the sentence closer together:

Declining revenues resulting from a decrease in business travel ARE/IS going to force...

Now we can look at the remaining sentence and again eliminate a modifier: "resulting from..." modifies "declining revenues", so really this sentence is just saying that:

Declining revenues ARE going to force...

By eliminating that modifier we know that the subject is plural and we'll need "ARE" as the verb to match.

C and D each contain multiple errors (C uses "it" as a pronoun that really needs to refer back to the subject "revenues", plus it ends a statement with a preposition "with"; D is just horrendously long and uses redundant terms throughout), so the only potential answer is A. A is much easier to get to if you're seen that you can ignore the modifier that seeks to separate the subject from the verb. Because we couldn't "Use It" to eliminate the answer choice, we can "Lose It" to make a much shorter, easier-to-dissect sentence, leading us to A.

Can you please also explain why the subject "Declining Revenues" is plural according to you. I believe it is a subject phrase and shud be singular. I do not see any convincing explanation.

Consider giving Kudos if my post helps in some way

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 33

Re: Declining revenues resulting from a decrease in business [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 19:57
+1 A :-D

WHAT I BELIEVE, I BECOME

WE GET ONLY ONE CHANCE AT LIFE AND I WILL NOT RUIN IT

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1300

Kudos [?]: 3682 [1] , given: 185

Re: Struggling Airlines [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 08:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
oldstudent wrote:
Can you please also explain why the subject "Declining Revenues" is plural according to you. I believe it is a subject phrase and shud be singular. I do not see any convincing explanation.

Hi there,
Verb-ing words are modifiers that define certain entities, depending on their placement in the sentence. Also, verb-ing words act as gerunds. Gerunds are formed by adding “ing” to any verb but they are nouns.

Now when a gerund is the subject of a sentence, then it is singular. Let’s understand this with the help of few examples:

1. Swimming is my favorite sport.
2. Listening to music works as the best stress buster for me.

In the above two sentences, “swimming” and “listening” are gerunds. They are nouns that form the subject of the sentence. Since “swimming” and “listening” are gerunds, they are singular in number and take singular verbs “is” and “works” respectively.

Now, if the sentence has two or more gerunds as subjects connected with proper conjunctions, then the verb will become plural. For example:
1. Swimming and listening to music relax me the most after a long day at work.

Now let’s take a look at the original sentence:

Declining revenues resulting from a decrease in business travel, a source of income without which most commercial airlines could not survive, are going to force many commercial airlines to increase prices and decrease services in the coming months.

Now here “declining” is a verb-ing word. Notice that “declining” is not a gerund here. It is modifier or an adjective that is modifying the noun “revenues”. It is showing one of the qualities of the revenues. So, technically the subject of the sentence is “revenues”. And since it has an adjective before it that cannot be left out as it shows one of its features, the subject becomes “declining revenues”. Now, since “revenues” is plural, we need plural verb. Answer choice A has the correct verb “are” that agrees in number with “revenues” or rather “declining revenues”. :)

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Declining revenues resulting from a decrease in business [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 20:20
devashish wrote:

I have a query here,from the sentence it looks like the "Declining revenues" is a source of income which doesnt make sense. How is A correct then?How does "source of income" refer to "business travel" ?Can someone explain please?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 82

Re: Declining revenues resulting from a decrease in business [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 11:05
[/qoute]I have a query here,from the sentence it looks like the "Declining revenues" is a source of income which doesnt make sense. How is A correct then?How does "source of income" refer to "business travel" ?Can someone explain please?[/qoute]

Hi rahul..

Business travel is a source of..y it cant b? comma after business travel shows that it is modifies by source of income.

Decling revenues is plural thats y ARE is required..

We can eliminate B and E..

we have A C D..

C is wordy..

D is wrong because of And.., we should modify travel..

hope it helps..

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Re: Declining revenues resulting from a decrease in business   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2012, 11:05