Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral [#permalink] New post 05 May 2007, 06:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (01:20) correct 29% (00:25) wrong based on 19 sessions
234. Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, is going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

(A) the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, is
(B) which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season, is
(C) the collateral which is borrowed against by farmers to get through the harvest season, is
(D) which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season, are
(E) the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, are
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 May 2007, 06:56
234. Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, is going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

(A) the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, is
'Decling values... are going to force..', therefore 'is' is wrong
(B) which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season, is
(C) the collateral which is borrowed against by farmers to get through the harvest season, is
(D) which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season, are
wrong meaning, the farmers don't use the declining values as an collateral to get through the winter, therefore wrong!
(E) the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season, are
'Declining values...and land, the collateral...' clearly modiefied, 'are' used as verb. Best answer!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 May 2007, 07:07
catgmat wrote:

wrong meaning, the farmers don't use the declining values as an collateral to get through the winter, therefore wrong!
'Declining values...and land, the collateral...' clearly modiefied, 'are' used as verb. Best answer!

I read somewhere that the word 'which' always modifies the word right before 'which.' In this case, 'which' would modify 'farm equipment and land' What's the deal here?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 May 2007, 07:22
leeye84 wrote:
catgmat wrote:

I read somewhere that the word 'which' always modifies the word right before 'which.' In this case, 'which' would modify 'farm equipment and land' What's the deal here?

I think you are right. For example: The declining values, which...' But in (E), I think 'the collateral against which' 'which' clearly refers to 'collateral'. I am not totally happy with (E), but it seems the best choice. I once read that you should correct the mistake and be as close as possible to (A). Any other suggestions??? Cheers
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 May 2007, 08:20
I think the answer is E.

"Declining values" is a plurial subject then the answer is D or E.
"the collateral against which farmers borrow " sounds better than "which farmers use as collateral to borrow against ". Thats why I select E.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC - collateral [#permalink] New post 05 May 2007, 13:42
"Declining value" is plural and requires plural verb "are"->A,B,C are out.
In D " use as collateral to borrow against " is incorrect usage.

I pick E
Director
Director
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2007, 10:31
Stuck between D and E.

In D, the clause introduced by 'which' is clearly non-restrictive.
So does it not make 'which' necessary ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2007, 15:10

It's between D and E.

D -- which modifies whatever appears before it. So, D sounds like the better choice than E.

E -- you don't borrow against the collateral, you use something as a collateral to borrow against. Am I right?

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2007, 10:01
shoonya wrote:

It's between D and E.

D -- which modifies whatever appears before it. So, D sounds like the better choice than E.

E -- you don't borrow against the collateral, you use something as a collateral to borrow against. Am I right?

My thoughts exactly. But the GMAT certainly doesn't think so. The OA is E. :x
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2007, 01:33
catgmat wrote:
leeye84 wrote:
catgmat wrote:

I think you are right. For example: The declining values, which...' But in (E), I think 'the collateral against which' 'which' clearly refers to 'collateral'. I am not totally happy with (E), but it seems the best choice. I once read that you should correct the mistake and be as close as possible to (A). Any other suggestions??? Cheers

In this case collateral and "farm equipment" are the same thing. the farm equipment which is used as collateral against something.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - collateral [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 12:29
I think that I am the only one here that does not catch why the subject is not "Declining values" (therefore singular), but "values". Could anybody explain this?
Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 6

Re: SC - collateral [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 17:04
E it is.

Declining values - plural. Need "are"
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 11:33
Isn't "the collateral against which farmers borrow to get through the harvest season" a nonessential descriptive for "declining values" . I think this answer choice is problematic because the subject and its descriptive do not match in numbers.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

Re: Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 14:55
IMO E.

Declining values is plural. So A B C are out. Out of D and E, E fits perfectly.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 06:31
defenestrate wrote:
catgmat wrote:

In this case collateral and "farm equipment" are the same thing. the farm equipment which is used as collateral against something.

same here ... wouldn't the collateral damage refer to declining values qithout a 'which'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 141

Re: [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 07:39
catgmat wrote:

I do not see any issues with "Which" Vs "The". The usage of either an appositive or adjective clause doesn't make any difference. Both the ways convey a nonrestrictive description of "farm equipment and land".

But consider below:
Omit the excessive portion.

Declining values for farm equipment and land, which farmers use as collateral to borrow against to get through the harvest season, are going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

Problems:
Clause ends with preposition : "against"
If we add the extra portion ... to borrow against.. to get through... This double infinitive kind of lengthens the sentence. In GMAT short is sweet.

Though above issues are not major, still in presence of a better choice E - these issues are accountable.

Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral against which farmers borrowto get through the harvest season, are going to force many lenders to tighten or deny credit this spring.

This looks good.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 08:02
shoonya wrote:

It's between D and E.

You hit the nail perfectly but fails to dig it in right direction. Actually when you use something as collateral that you say: "X as collateral to borrow Y amount" now if you read in D option it smartly put one lethal work killing this option: "X as collateral to borrow AGAINST" AGAINST is already imlied in collarteral.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 23

Re: Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 01:07
I have came across many times with these question.
and always misinterpret Declining values for farm equipment and land as a singular phrase.
and chosen option 'A'
any idea how to differentiate between Adjective in these one as 'Declining' from phrases that starts from '-ING' form?

Thriving for CHANGE

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 571 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 01:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Aristocrat wrote:
and always misinterpret Declining values for farm equipment and land as a singular phrase.
and chosen option 'A'
any idea how to differentiate between Adjective in these one as 'Declining' from phrases that starts from '-ING' form?

whenever a clause or a phrase acts as a subject of a clause, it is always singular.
ex-"............., but what is much more difficult to determine IS.....". In the example, " But what ...........determine" is an intermediate clause, and the subject of this clause is "what is much more to difficult to determine". Hence we have a singular subject here.

Aristocrat, in the question above, the subject of the status quo phrase is "Declining values". We must remember that subject of the clause or phrase can't reside in the prep. phrase unless there is some quantity word. Hence Declining Values is correctly modified by "are".
Hope that helps.
Do let me know if anything remains unclear.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 23

Re: Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 06:54
Marcab wrote:
Aristocrat wrote:
and chosen option 'A'

whenever a clause or a phrase acts as a subject of a clause, it is always singular.
ex-"............., but what is much more difficult to determine IS.....". In the example, " But what ...........determine" is an intermediate clause, and the subject of this clause is "what is much more to difficult to determine". Hence we have a singular subject here.

Aristocrat, in the question above, the subject of the status quo phrase is "Declining values". We must remember that subject of the clause or phrase can't reside in the prep. phrase unless there is some quantity word. Hence Declining Values is correctly modified by "are".
Hope that helps.
Do let me know if anything remains unclear.

Thnx marcab
for a detailed explanation

Thriving for CHANGE

Re: Declining values for farm equipment and land, the collateral   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2013, 06:54