Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Dedicate Time Only To Study For GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mays '16, Simon '16
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 51

Dedicate Time Only To Study For GMAT? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 11:41
Hi,I don't find much time now to prepare for GMAT since I work full time. Thinking of calling it quits.
How will adcoms see this?
thanks!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 30

Re: Dedicate Time Only To Study For GMAT? [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 14:28
This post received
KUDOS
I am not an expert but I would strongly urge you against quitting your job. Work experience is more important than getting a high GMAT score (it is also helpful for paying the bills). Also, adcoms don't like to see holes in your resume.

I think that most people would recommend you not to quit your job.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mays '16, Simon '16
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 51

Re: Dedicate Time Only To Study For GMAT? [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 04:22
ngould wrote:
I am not an expert but I would strongly urge you against quitting your job. Work experience is more important than getting a high GMAT score (it is also helpful for paying the bills). Also, adcoms don't like to see holes in your resume.

I think that most people would recommend you not to quit your job.

Well,I dont find any time to prepare for GMAT now and I want to apply next fall.

So,am thinking of taking this step. :?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [1] , given: 31

Re: Dedicate Time Only To Study For GMAT? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2012, 19:53
This post received
KUDOS
Try to talk to your boss to give you a bit of time off from work if it is possible, or to go easy on you for a few months so that you can shave an hour from work every day. Quitting your job should always be the last resort, and most people who do prep for the GMAT can do so without quitting.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: Dedicate Time Only To Study For GMAT? [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 07:13
Please do not call it quits and pursue only your GMAT studies. I know the test is difficult and intimidating, but admissions considers your current work position as an indicator of your professional abilities and potential. Also, if you quit your job and only focus on your GMAT, it may send the message that you can only focus on one big aspect of your life at a time -- and business school is so demanding that you have to be an expert day one at multi-tasking. Lastly, remember that your application is multi-faceted - not just a standardized test so you have to continue to develop as many aspects of this test as you can.

So, consider the following:

* taking a leave of absence
* taking all of your vacation and sick time to dedicate to the exam
* getting a tutor who will work with you extensively on problematic aspects of your exam
* forming a serious study group that meets a few times a week
* working with an admissions consultant or coach who can keep you on schedule and focused
* getting a new job that is much less demanding (for instance, if you work in investment banking, consider getting a job in the government or at some sort of not for profit).

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Dedicate Time Only To Study For GMAT?   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2012, 07:13