Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 20:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (02:25) correct 70% (01:38) wrong based on 336 sessions
Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil supply than previously believed. For example, farmers who till deeply are ten times more likely to lose topsoil to erosion than are farmers who use no-till methods. Results like these make it clear that farmers who now till deeply should strive, by using other topsoil aeration techniques, to incorporate no-till methods instead.

The argument depends on assuming which one of the following?

A. Topsoil erosion does not make farmers want to till more deeply.
B. In deep-tillage farming, the deeper one tills, the greater the susceptibility to topsoil erosion.
C. Tilling by any method other than deep tillage is not a viable option.
D. The most expensive farming methods employ topsoil aeration techniques other than deep tillage.
E. On average, topsoil that is no-tilled is more aerated than topsoil that is tilled deeply.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Deep tillage [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 00:30
I got wrong answer choice A. Wait for explanation.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deep tillage [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 02:22
C.Farmers are already aware that deep tilling techniques are harming their top soil
Quote:
Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil supply than previously believed

Still they continue to use the old tilling method assuming that other methods available are not so viable.
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deep tillage [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 04:52
tuanquang269 wrote:
I got wrong answer choice A. Wait for explanation.

I got A as my choice too, but dont understand why it is wrong. :-) Also, where does it imply, in any angle, about the viable methods of tilling?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deep tillage [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
A cannot be the option, as it suggests that farmers are reluctant to use deep tilling method in their fields,but the entire paragraph is contrary to the same and it points to the fact that farmers are still using deep tilling which causes soil erosion.
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deep tillage [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 08:57
goalset wrote:
A cannot be the option, as it suggests that farmers are reluctant to use deep tilling method in their fields,but the entire paragraph is contrary to the same and it points to the fact that farmers are still using deep tilling which causes soil erosion.

Thanks for helping me understand the right choice, Goalset.
But, let me ask one more thing with this regard - how come we assume that any of top soil aeration techniques (as mentioned in the last time) are not viable methods of deep-tillage?
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [4] , given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deep tillage [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 21:01
This post received
KUDOS
No problem,Macsen.

In the last statement of the paragraph the author has used the word strive which means to try very hard.

Deep tillage causes soil erosion on the farmers own land and still they are not using the other aeration techniques and the author believes farmers have to strive hard to start using them which means they must be non-viable to the farmers(they could be expensive or inaccessible).

I hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deep tillage [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 02:56
+1 for A.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deep tillage [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 08:56
This post received
KUDOS
There is a argument presenting a case for use of non tilling method for aeriation.
So what can be the fact based on which author is stressing her point .
A ) yes could be as she is trying to stop them as they don’t care about top soil erosion
B ) this info cannot be concluded
So I hope it’s A) why its not is bit beyond me
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Deep tillage [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 22:10
C .
A X because qn is already stating that some farmers are doing that for better aeration but it is suggested but it suggested to diverse the method. It is nowhere implied that erosion is causing as disincentive to the farmers and are not able to do so.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Deep tillage [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 10:06
Jesus.....I thought A....

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Deep tillage [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 21:01
+1 for C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 303

Re: Deep tillage [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 02:32
neha2785 wrote:
There is a argument presenting a case for use of non tilling method for aeriation.
So what can be the fact based on which author is stressing her point .
A ) yes could be as she is trying to stop them as they don’t care about top soil erosion
B ) this info cannot be concluded
So I hope it’s A) why its not is bit beyond me

+1 for your funny avatar :lol:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Deep tillage [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 21:55
This post received
KUDOS
Macsen wrote:
Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil supply than previously believed. For example, farmers who till deeply are ten times more likely to lose topsoil to erosion than are farmers who use no-till methods. Results like these make it clear that farmers who now till deeply should strive, by using other topsoil aeration techniques, to incorporate no-till methods instead.

B. In deep-tillage farming, the deeper one tills, the greater the susceptibility to topsoil erosion.
D. The most expensive farming methods employ topsoil aeration techniques other than deep tillage.
E. On average, topsoil that is no-tilled is more aerated than topsoil that is tilled deeply.

conclusion : farmers should incorporate no till methods in place of deep till methods by using other top soil aeration technique
premise : farmers using deep tillage are ten times more likely to loose top in comparison to non tillage method

what if there being a case tht ""to prevent top soil erosion, one has to till deeper . Thus a possible assumption here would negate this answer choice and that's what option A does. So in my opinion A
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 97

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 17:56
goalset wrote:
C.Farmers are already aware that deep tilling techniques are harming their top soil
Quote:
Deep tillage is even more deleterious to the world's topsoil supply than previously believed

Still they continue to use the old tilling method assuming that other methods available are not so viable.

Hi goalset,

I agree with your explanation. But isn't this assumption made by the Farmers ?
Why do farmers keep on using the older method of tilling soil ? Because they assume other methods are not viable.

Whereas I was searching for the assumption of author.

The conclusion of the author is "Results like these make it clear that farmers who now till deeply should strive, by using other topsoil aeration techniques, to incorporate no-till methods instead."
Here, it is 100% clear that author believes other tillage methods are viable.

Your views please.
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1070

Kudos [?]: 4773 [4] , given: 163

Re: Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 22:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Macsen wrote:

Responding to a pm:

The argument is about what the farmers should do and not about what they want to do. Hence option (A) is out of scope.

Premises:
Deep tillage causes top soil erosion.
Farmers who till deeply are 10 times more likely to lose top soil than farmers who don't till.

Conclusion:
Farmers should use no till methods for top soil aeration.

Look at the last sentence: Results like these make it clear that farmers who now till deeply should strive, by using other topsoil aeration techniques, to incorporate no-till methods instead.
This tell us that tilling is a 'top soil aeration technique'. Tilling deeply is bad so farmers should use no till methods. The author has jumped from deep tilling to no till. He says that just don't till at all since deep tilling is bad for top soil. He assumes that there are no methods of tilling (which may not be bad for top soil) other than deep tilling.

Therefore, the assumption of the author is "Tilling by any method other than deep tillage is not a viable option."

Answer (C)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 97

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2014, 01:21
[Responding to a pm:

The argument is about what the farmers should do and not about what they want to do. Hence option (A) is out of scope.

Premises:
Deep tillage causes top soil erosion.
Farmers who till deeply are 10 times more likely to lose top soil than farmers who don't till.

Conclusion:
Farmers should use no till methods for top soil aeration.

Look at the last sentence: Results like these make it clear that farmers who now till deeply should strive, by using other topsoil aeration techniques, to incorporate no-till methods instead.
This tell us that tilling is a 'top soil aeration technique'. Tilling deeply is bad so farmers should use no till methods. The author has jumped from deep tilling to no till. He says that just don't till at all since deep tilling is bad for top soil. He assumes that there are no methods of tilling (which may not be bad for top soil) other than deep tilling.

Therefore, the assumption of the author is "Tilling by any method other than deep tillage is not a viable option."

Answer (C)[/quote]

Karishma's explanation proves that we should always go for explanations from experts. The explanations above are not correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 270

CAT Tests
Re: Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2014, 06:56
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Macsen wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Karishma,

If the option A) would be:
Topsoil erosion does not make farmers till more deeply.

Does the option correct?

I can understand why option C) is correct though.

Thanks,
Kinjal
Never Give Up !!!

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful
Linkedin Handle : https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=116231592

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1070

Kudos [?]: 4773 [1] , given: 163

Re: Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 00:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kinjiGC wrote:
Karishma,

Does the option correct?

To be honest, if there were an option like this, it would be silly. We know that top soil erosion is bad for the soil and hence for the farmers. Why would they till more deeply if top soil erosion happens because of tilling. The option (A), as given has been given to confuse you. It is something so basic that obviously it is true. But the argument doesn't talk about what the farmers want to do and hence this is out of scope for us.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 11-08-2014
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 178

GMAT ToolKit User
Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 03:53
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
Karishma,

Does the option correct?

To be honest, if there were an option like this, it would be silly. We know that top soil erosion is bad for the soil and hence for the farmers. Why would they till more deeply if top soil erosion happens because of tilling. The option (A), as given has been given to confuse you. It is something so basic that obviously it is true. But the argument doesn't talk about what the farmers want to do and hence this is out of scope for us.

Hello mam,
in conclusion its said that farmers should opt for other techniques instead of tilling to avoid soil erosion..

this assumes that farmers are reluctant to soil erosion..

Negation of A would be-
top soil erosion makes farmers till more deeply

this negation directly affects the conclusion wich states that farmers should opt other methods to avoid erosion...

and,when we negate option C,we get-

Tilling by any method other than deep tillage is a viable option.

this sentence does nothing to our conclusion..it might strenghthen the conclusion in stead of weakening it..

please clarify my understanding... :)

THE WORD IMPOSSIBLE ITSELF SAYS : I-M-POSSIBLE...SO,DREAM THE IMPOSSIBLE-AND DO THE INCREDIBLE

Deep tillage is even more deliterious to the world's topsoil   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2014, 03:53