Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Defeated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Defeated [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 09:19
I just finished taking the gmat and scored a 660 (Q40 V41) - less than what I hoped for. I'm planing on studying for the next month and retaking the test prior to new gmat being rolled out. I really only need a score improvement of 20-40 points. I guess my main question is what are the best ways to improve my quant score? I did MGMAT books and CATS, OG and several GMATPrep questions. Any recommendation on sources is appreciated. Also, if my score doesn't improve or decreases on my retake do I run a risk with admissions? In other words, is it possible that I'm better off applying to top 15 schools with this score than risk potentially getting a lower score the second time around?

Thanks for help. I'm hoping to post a more upbeat post in the next month.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Defeated [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 13:58
manhattan guides will do the trick.... i have also heard good reviews for total gmat math by jeff sakmann

and the highest gmat score is considered,so u can retake without worries
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 557 [0], given: 114

Re: Defeated [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 11:42
Sorry to hear about your score. You should look here before deciding on a retake: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html?fl=menu I would say that for any top 15 school a 660 will put you at a disadvantage b/c you are going to be in the lower range of the 80% range for all of those schools. This means that you will have to be very special in other areas.

Also, with a Q40, your quant skills are going to be called into question. So unless you have other areas of your application (work, college, etc...) to prove that you can handle the quant heavy corriculum, Adcoms are going to question your quant abilities. Your verbal is quite good.

I suggest a retake with a very heavy focus on quant study. I would go back through the Manhattan quant books, and go back to the basics.. Make sure that you understand the fundementals before you start building on tougher areas. Make sure to do lots of practice to reinforce new topics, and use an error log to keep track of your mistakes. You can do this! With a littl bit of study, you really aren't far away from the 700 at all! Also, quant is considered much easier to learn than verbal. So your battle won't be quite as tough as someone in a reversed situation.

Good luck!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: Defeated [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 12:16
If you are able to study with a specific plan for the entire next month, I would say it makes sense to take it again. However, if you do not think that you are going to entirely focus on studying (work, other priorities), it may be tough to dramatically change your score. Depending on the question set you get on the next test, your score could swing +/- 20 points. However, I think if you focus your study and take at least two more practice tests in the month that shows you are dramatically improving upward, it makes sense to improve your score.
Re: Defeated   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2012, 12:16