Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

deferral - what shouldtell the AdCom?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

deferral - what shouldtell the AdCom? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2008, 05:58
Hi guys,

I'm in a dilemma. I have been accepted to University X this year but I want to defer my admission to next year. The reason is that:

My company had first selected to go for grad studies (all expenses paid). But then they asked me to postpone it to next year because they are sending another person this year and they cant send me as well as they need me. So they want me to go next year. They changed their decision last minute so now I can't arrange my own finances for this year to go myself. I have decided that I will surely go the coming year myself though.

What would be wiser to tell the adcom? the whole story or that the company needs me this year or that i cant afford it this year?

During this year I will get a promotion and will built on my extra curriculars and be an even stronger candidate.

your guidance would be appreciated
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: deferral - what shouldtell the AdCom? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2008, 06:38
No expert on this but I would think that saying you company has agreed to fund your education if you wait a year may be a valid reason. I wouldnt talk about how it would actually make you a stronger candidate since they may think you will try to apply to new schools next year. Note, I do believe they require additional deposit for a deferral, but I do know people apply to higher ranked schools anyways.

If they dont agree to your deferral what are you going to do?

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: deferral - what shouldtell the AdCom? [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2008, 23:26
Thanks for the advice river.

well i got accepted to a number of schools this year and from them, Uni of Texas already said they will accept my deferral so I will have something in the bag. After that I can only hope my 1st choice accepts my deferral. Otherwise I will reapply for 2009 while I apply to higher ranked schools. Will keep you guys posted.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: deferral - what shouldtell the AdCom? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2008, 05:26
fooFighter wrote:
Thanks for the advice river.

well i got accepted to a number of schools this year and from them, Uni of Texas already said they will accept my deferral so I will have something in the bag. After that I can only hope my 1st choice accepts my deferral. Otherwise I will reapply for 2009 while I apply to higher ranked schools. Will keep you guys posted.

If you are in Texas or plan to stay in Texas, McCombs is about as good a program as you can find. A lot of big name companies recruit there for their Texas offices.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: deferral - what shouldtell the AdCom? [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2008, 05:13
Dicey situation. It's good that you have McCombs in the bag, but who's to say your company won't pull the same crap next year?
Manager
Manager

Re: deferral - what shouldtell the AdCom? [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 22:31
Saw this late :P

I'm not waiting on my company for this year. Going to go by myself. And my deferral is in process. Hopefully they accept it. Thanks for the feedback guys
Re: deferral - what shouldtell the AdCom?   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2008, 22:31